Wikimedia chapters/Reports/Wikimedia Nederland/201306
This is the chapter report for Wikimedia Nederland for June 2013.
COMMUNITY: supporting and mobilising volunteers and editorsEdit
- World War I Editathon
- As part of an international initiative focussing on Wikipedia coverage of the First World War, a small editathon took place in Museum Huis Doorn on June 29. Only a few people attended, reflecting the limited interest in World War I in the Netherlands. The event however could be the basis for stronger cooperation with Museum Huis Doorn in the future.
WORK: content, collaboration and activity developmentEdit
- Behind the scenes at the National Library and National Archives
- On 8 June 2013 the Koninklijke Bibliotheek and Nationaal Archief of the Netherlands were open for Wikipedians for a tour behind the scenes. More than 30 people came to learn more about the work and collections of KB and NA. Experts from both organisations presented examples of outreach using open data from the public collections, outlined future developments and invited collaboration with the Wikimedia community. Overall aim is to add to and improve content on Wikipedia and the other Wikimedia projects by making use of the collections of Archives and Library. The presentations given by staff are online at wmnl:Backstage event KB & NA 8-6-2013 (in Dutch).
- Meetings and potential new partners.
- There have been talks with several new potential partners in The Netherlands which may lead to new cooperation activities in the future.
- the Maritime Museumis interested in edit-a-thons for their exhibitions,
- The New Institute showed interest in donating content,
- Boek.be contacted WMNL to discuss the possibility to reuse Wikipedia content for their data services,
- The Communication and Multimedia Design Department at the the University of Applied Science in Utrecht might be interested in partnering for their Museum Battles.
WMNL: participation and supportEdit
- New website
- First steps were made towards improving the WMNL website, which will focus especially on providing information about WMNL activities for the wider public. The revamped website will also have better interactive options and will make it easier to sign up for events.
RESOURCES: Strong and sustainable financial positionEdit
- Funding request granted
- WMNL submitted a request for funding to the Fonds 1818 for activities in the city The Hague within the framework of Wiki Loves Monuments. The request was granted, enabling WMNL to organise an editathon, a photo-hunt and other activities focussing on the historical monuments of The Hague.
- Survey among donors
- A small survey among people who gave money directly to WMNL showed that they generally have a positive impression of WMNL and are inclined to give money again. They would like to be informed more frequently about developments and activities.
- Two donations received in june could be tracked back to the list of one thousand donors who have been sent an invitation to participate in the survey.
- Letter to a subset of donors
- A letter has been sent to five hundred donors to inform them including an invitation to apply for membership. One application for membership has subsequently been received.
GLOBAL: International collaborationEdit
- WCAC Member Ziko van Dijk took part in the WCA phone conference on June 16.
ORGANISATION: board, management and supportEdit
- Changes in division of roles within Board
- On 6 June the board met in Utrecht. Secretary Paul Becherer became the new treasurer, and Frans Grijzenhout the new secretary. Ad Huikeshoven, the former treasurer, took over other tasks such as the Wikipedia-Dag (the former Wikimedia Conference Nederland).
- Board Manual
- More information has been added to the board manual and this process will continue to document how the Board operates. The aim is to facilitate transitions when new Board Members are elected.