Wikimedia chapters/Reports/Wikimedia Nederland/201304
This is the chapter report for Wikimedia Nederland for April 2013.
The structure of this report is somewhat different to previous monthly reports. In order to facilitate our reporting process and make it more transparent, we will now use the same structure as in our quarterly reports for the FDC and our annual plan and strategy.
COMMUNITY: supporting and mobilising volunteers and editorsEdit
- Wikimedia Nederland Conferentie
- Preparations have begun for the annual Wikimedia Nederland Conference which will take place on November 2. One of the themes will be 'editor diversity' - we are cooperating with WMDE who will be holding an international event on that topic a week later on November 9. We are still looking for volunteers to take charge of programming and publicity.
- Wikipedia Training National Museum of Ethnology
- A basic editing training was given to students and employees of the National Museum of Ethnology in Leiden by volunteers Erik Zachte, Hay Kranen and Boardmember Hans Muller.
WORK: content, collaboration and activity developmentEdit
- WIki Loves Monuments
- The Wiki Loves Monuments team is preparing for the 2013 competition. This year, the focus will also be on municipal monuments and we are looking for funds to organise a combined Wiki Loves Monuments - editor training - publicity event in Den Haag. Wikimedia NL volunteer Els Arends published an article in the magazine 'Monumenten' about Wiki Loves Monuments, encouraging people to get involved.
- Wikipedian in Residence at National Library and Archives
- The National Archives and National Library are going to hire a Wikipedian in Residence, a first for the Netherlands! This promises to be the start of a wider ranging cooperation between WMNL and these two national institutions. Focus of the cooperation will be improving content and recruiting editors.
- CoSyne: final presentation to European Commission
- WMNL Board member Frans Grijzenhout attended the final presentation of the CoSyne project to the European Commission in Luxembourg. WMNL's involvement was appreciated by the other partners in this project.
- Wiki loves sound
- Wiki Loves Sound is a new initiative to promote use of sound in Wikimedia projects. In April, 1838 of the 2300+ sounds donated by The Netherlands Institute For Sound and Vision were uploaded to Commons and 50+ sounds were added to Wikipedia pages during an editathon. A Dutch spoken instructional video about adding sounds was made.
- Field research for Wikivoyage was carried out by students of the Nijenrode Business School. Reports and recommendations to be expected in May.
WMNL: participation and supportEdit
- The WMNL newsletter was distributed to members, donors and other interested parties.
RESOURCES: Strong and sustainable financial positionEdit
- Finalising Q1 report
- The first quarterly report following our FDC application was completed on time.
GLOBAL: International collaborationEdit
- NB: reports by WMNL volunteers, board and staff who have attended international events can be found on the WMNL Wiki
- Milano Wikimedia Conference
- WMNL Chair Ziko van Dijk, Treasurer Ad Huikeshoven and Executive Director Sandra Rientjes attended the Milano Wikimedia Conference. WMNL volunteer Lodewijk was also there on behalf of the Wiki Loves Monuments International coordination group.
- EU policy working group meeting
- On April 6 and 7, representatives of WM-chapters met in Brussels to discuss EU-policy affecting copyright and internet freedom. Lodewijk and Romaine represented WMNL. A full report of the meeting is available on Meta.
- Volunteers Lodewijk, Romaine and Maarten attended the Glam WIki event in London, as did GLAM coordinator Sebastiaan ter Burg.
- International Amsterdam Hackathon preparations
- Preparations for the International Hackathon picked up pace in April with the programme being finalised and arrangements made to support visa applications and travel. It is expected that 140 participants will gather in Amsterdam, May 24-26.
ORGANISATION: board, management and supportEdit
- Board retreat weekend 6-7 April
- Board and Executive Director attended a two-day meeting, following the Board elections in March. Topics on the agenda were: division of tasks within the Board, cooperation and communication, recruiting new volunteers.
- Hiring part-time staff member for finances
- Tom Kisters will start work on May 1. He will work on finances and office management.