Wikimedia chapters/Reports/Wikimedia Nederland/201301
This is the Chapter report for Wikimedia Nederland for January 2013
- volunteers came together on January 26 in the WMNL office for a final testing session of the CoSyne software (a tool for synchronisation and translation of Wiki's). In cooperation with WMF, WMNL started exploring options to make this tool available for Wikipedia-editors.
- the 2013 International Hackathon will take place in Amsterdam, May 24-26. An organising team consisting of volunteers and staff of WMNL, WMDE and WMF has started preparations.
- January 9-25. In the Town Hall of Gouda, prize-winning photographs from the Wiki Loves Monuments 2012 competition were exhibited. These included photographs from Gouda itself, from the Netherlands, and indeed from all over the world. The exhibition was opened by the local Alderman (wethouder) and WMNL chair Ziko van Dijk.
- The international co-ordination team of Wiki Loves Monuments met at the WMNL offices on January 19 and 20 to evaluate the 2012 competition and begin planning for 2013. For at least one participant, this meeting also provided an opportunity to experience snow for the first time.
- WMNL volunteer Hay Kranen gave a presentation about Wikipedia for communication students of the Hogeschool Rotterdam (Rotterdam College). In return, the college has promised to give a seminar about media relations for WMNL volunteers.
Board and StaffEdit
- Interviews were held for the position of project manager GLAM. WMNL received over 100 applications. We are in final negotiations with a candidate who can hopefully start work in February.
- In preparation of the WMNL General Assembly to be held on March 23, the search started for candidates to fill two vacancies on the Board
- Treasurer and director managed to produce an draft of the annual report and annual accounts in record-breaking time.
- A new leaflet about Wikimedia Nederland was published.
- We published the first newsletter of 2013
- The Wiki Loves Monuments Calendar was sent out to all members as a New Year's gift
- A survey was held among WMNL members and editors of the Dutch language Wikipedia to find out their opinion and expectations concerning Wikimedia Nederland. The results will be available early March.
- WMNL chair Ziko van Dijk was quoted extensively in an article about Wikipedia in the popular science journal Quest.
- January 19: about 100 people attended a very successful WMNL New Year's reception in the University Museum Amsterdam. Several signed up to become active in new projects
- WMNL director Sandra Rientjes was a jury member in a competition for the development of new 'Open Culture' apps.
- NOVI college, a college providing education in the field of IT, contacted WLM to discuss possibilities of making their educational materials available via Wikiversity
- February 1: CoSyne closing conference
- February 15: Photo excursion war monuments in Arnhem.
- March 23: General Assembly (Algemene Ledenvergadering), Utrecht
- May 24-26: International Hackathon, Amsterdam