Wikimedia chapters/Reports/Wikimédia Magyarország/March 2012
This is an update on Wikimedia Hungary's activities covering the March 2012 period.
Our newest reports, originally written in English, are now translatable to any language, and we would appreciate if you found them worthwhile for translation. Earlier reports not originally published in English will not be prioritised for translation as long as the Translate extension does not support translation from source languages other than English (see bug 35489).
- Building on the success of our 2010 maintenance competition we organised a big spring clean up competition on Hungarian Wikipedia aimed at reducing the backlog in maintenance categories. In three weeks over 1700 maintenance issues were solved: over 500 articles were provided with sources, around 250 were given an infobox and at least 300 articles were expanded. The various tasks performed by the 38 competitors were assigned 1-5 points, and the editors with the most points in the end could choose from a number of Wikipedia-themed items and shopping vouchers as their prize, while all editors who participated will receive some small gift.
- On 10 March we held a community meetup in Budapest, with about 40 Wikipedians, including three people invited from the Slovene Wikipedia community. At the meetup the writers of the best Wikipedia articles of 2011 were acknowledged. The best articles, written or expanded in 2011, were nominated by the community and chosen by a vote. Wikimedia Hungary provided the diplomas and celebratory cake for the award ceremony.
- Vince, a community member has volunteered to systematically photograph Budapest, the capital of Hungary, and to write some of the missing articles. To make the event more fun, he has started organising photowalks in Budapest, where participants photograph all the notable buildings and public features of a given part of the city. The first tour was held on 25 March with the participation of 5 people, who took about a hundred pictures and later about a dozen articles were written or improved about the buildings the photos show. The next tour is scheduled for 15 April and everyone is welcome. Wikimedia Hungary has supported the organiser in covering his transportation costs and we would be happy to fund other community-led projects, as well.
- On 9 March Bence Damokos visited Bratislava to meet the Wikipedians behind the future Wikimedia Slovakia chapter. Wikimedia Slovakia held its first General Assembly with the three original members who were later joined by a few local and Austrian Wikipedians. At the meeting they discussed projects like Wiki Loves Monuments, and an outreach effort they initiated towards local schools and libraries, as well as the technicalities of running an NGO. Bence advised them that Wikimedia national organisations (or chapters) are usually approved when they have a membership of at least 15-20 people, but nevertheless the group could ask to be recognised as a User Group, and get general support from the Wikimedia Foundation.
- Gergő Tisza and Bence Damokos have participated in the Berlin Wikimedia Conference. Our annual State of the Chapter presentation is available here.
- We have signed an agreement with the Wikimedia Foundation that allows us to ask Hungarian visitors of the websites operated by the Foundation to allocate one percent of their income tax to Wikimedia Hungary. Subsequently, a landing page was set up to solicit these donations, and we plan to start a short banner campaign in May.
- A number of merchandise items have finally been produced, including Commons-themed yo-yos, Wikipedia themed textile shopping bags and stickers and buttons. These will be used as give-aways at community events and prizes in our smaller competitions.
- A laptop was purchased for our employee.
- One new member has joined Wikimedia Hungary in March.
The following financial data is provided for informational purposes only. The data presented is not audited and may change slightly as all invoices come in. Amounts are in Hungarian Forints. For convenient calculation about 300 HUF = 1 EUR, and 220 HUF = 1 USD.
|postage fees||18 286 Ft||2 315 Ft||4 655 Ft||25 256 Ft||30 000 Ft|
|server maintenance||34 375 Ft||34 375 Ft||34 925 Ft||103 675 Ft||420 000 Ft|
|employee||17 705 Ft||235 038 Ft||251 459 Ft||504 202 Ft||2 500 000 Ft|
|office space||13 875 Ft||9 398 Ft||4 699 Ft||27 972 Ft||60 000 Ft|
|telephone||11 553 Ft||- Ft||5 135 Ft||16 688 Ft||100 000 Ft|
|Printer and printing costs||33 610 Ft||- Ft||6 223 Ft||39 833 Ft||70 000 Ft|
|Debt to Wikimedia Austria||61 100 Ft||- Ft||- Ft||61 100 Ft||50 000 Ft|
|Banking costs||7 165 Ft||3 850 Ft||3 000 Ft||14 015 Ft||50 000 Ft|
|community travel||4 320 Ft||21 504 Ft||26 799 Ft||52 623 Ft||1 725 000 Ft|
|board travel||- Ft||119 200 Ft||46 926 Ft||166 126 Ft||650 000 Ft|
|board meeting||- Ft||46 818 Ft||- Ft||46 818 Ft||100 000 Ft|
|Small grants programme||- Ft||3 200 Ft||- Ft||3 200 Ft||100 000 Ft|
|Accountant||13 208 Ft||- Ft||- Ft||13 208 Ft||300 000 Ft|
|Community budget||- Ft||- Ft||30 550 Ft||30 550 Ft||250 000 Ft|
|IT equipment||- Ft||- Ft||127 890 Ft||127 890 Ft||250 000 Ft|
|support for the creation of chapters in neighbouring countries||- Ft||- Ft||7 074 Ft||7 074 Ft||250 000 Ft|
|Total:||215 197 Ft||475 698 Ft||549 335 Ft||1 240 230 Ft|
The overspending in case of the debt repayment to Wikimedia Austria (to cover the costs of the 2011 Fundraising Summit) is due to the change in exchange rates and a rounding error in the original plan.
It is expected that our accounting fees will exceed the target by about 50% as we transition to an accountant that better suits our needs and from a yearly payment schedule to a monthly one, meaning that we will have to cover this year the accounting costs of both 2011 and 2012. Due to increased ticket prices and the number of international events, we project that travel spending both for community members and the board will exceed planned levels. Banking and printing costs are at expected levels, however, we have under-budgeted for postage fees.
Due to the cancellation of the Belgrade Management Congress, the 300 000 HUF allocated to support it will not be spent; however we are still committed to support the Central and Eastern European Wikimedia meetup to be held in Belgrade.
|Income category||January||February||March||January–March||2012 Plan|
|donations||9 500 Ft||113 000 Ft||11 000 Ft||133 500 Ft||- Ft|
|interest||39 705 Ft||36 406 Ft||36 954 Ft||113 065 Ft||- Ft|
|membership fees||19 000 Ft||6 000 Ft||6 000 Ft||31 000 Ft||100 000 Ft|
|other||- Ft||23 985 Ft||39 900 Ft||63 885 Ft||- Ft|
|Total||68 205 Ft||179 391 Ft||93 854 Ft||341 450 Ft|
Other revenue includes the conversion of food vouchers and the reimbursement of a plane ticket issued by the bankrupt Malév airline. Planned income for 2012 includes categories of revenue (e.g. 1% income tax allocation) that will only be realized later in the year and is therefore not shown in the table. Our full budget plan is available here.
The completion of this report has taken approximately 3 hours of work.