Wikimedia South Africa/Board Meeting 14 December 2021

WikimediaZA Board-Meeting

14 January 2021

Previous Meeting:

In attendance:

  • Douglas Ian Scott
  • Michael Graaf
  • Shupai Mchuchu
  • Nobantu Modise
  • Deon Steyn
  • Bobby Shabangu


  • Wynand Van Der Walt
  • Khetiwe Marais
  • Sincerity Lawrence
  • Delight Chipunza
  • Coenrad Loubser

Agenda Items


Board Members Update

  • Wiki Science Competiton there is 7 entries thus far, the competition might need to be extended.
Wiki banner adds did not go up properly for the South Africa competition. Learning for next time is that we must put up our own banner ads and not rely on non-chapter organizers to put them up for us.
Next learning is to get the partners in order before launching the event.

It was said it might be better it the competition is run from February to March in 2023 so that there is enough time to organize the competition, but might be problematic. If it does take place in March 2022 the Chapter will have to submit in 2023 as it will be a full year in time for the 2023 results. If it can't be run in March it can be moved to October of the same year. communications ambassador will dedicate to creating an awareness of the competition and creating our own banner adds



SARS Tax Profile


Application for Observer Status with the World Intellectual Property Organisation


The Wikimedia Foundation has been blocked by China, they have been blocked to have accreditation on WIPO. The way around this is to get as many chapters to get accreditation It was proposed to apply for accreditation with WIPO There was a unanimous vote to get WIPO accreditation by the board who were in attendance in the board meeting.

Stemming from Previous Meetings


Wiki Africa photographic competition


Every Year Isla organizes an Africa photographic competition. They invite people to submit African pictures. This year's theme will be "At Home". The Chapter reached to Isla to host the South African, African photographic component of the competition, they are more than happy to have us run the competition for 2022. Shupai will be responsible for the event. There is a qualm due to the fact of a project management fee, but the Chapter will volunteer to run the Photographic competition, need to ensure that Isla will not charge project management to the Chapter. Douglas Proposes to the board for Wikimedia ZA to run the African photographic competition, for the South African Chapter. Bobby, Michael, Deon support for the South African Chapter to run the competition. No objections; the motion passes.

Wiki Love Fynbos


It was said for this competition to be successful it is worth starting it in January. It is important is to get our partners on board and ready and have banner ads up and running in time. Douglas will write a draft letter to send to Deon to send specialists about Wiki commons so the specialist can help to identify the different species which can be added to the commons and this can help with the commons. Shupai to remind Douglas about the letter in January 2022.

Tech Support


Need to speak to the foundation to assist Afrikaans Wikipedia

Topics for the next board meeting

  • Bots on Afrikaans Wikimedia*
  • Hack UR Culture 2020*
  • Rhodes Digitisaiton Funding*
  • Rhodes UCT Collaboration LIASA Poster*

Board Meeting


The 14th of December was the last meeting for the year. The first meeting for 2022 will be held on the 11th of January 2022