Wikimedia Social Suite/bn
The role of such tools has taken on greater urgency with COVID-19 and the cancellation of in-person events. Technical efforts such as the Remote Hackathon have supported greater development of tools such as Wikimedia Meet, and there is potential for the adoption and adaptation of more instances of hosted FLOSS projects, in addition to the longstanding ones that have served the community for years.
- ভিডিও আলাপ :
- Chat (text oriented live discussions)
- Wikimedia Chat, uses Mattermost (threaded text chat), see tracking task
- Wikimedia France instance of Rocketchat
- Zulip is reported as being used inside the WMF, according FLOSS-Exchange (also provides video conferences via BigBlueButton, Jitsi, Zoom integration – see features)
- IRC remains heavily used with many channels dedicated to miscellaneous Wikimedia topics
- Matrix.org, Slack-like fancy chat with IRC compatibility. (See tracking task.)
- Social networking: ম্যাস্টোডন (Q27986619) - federated free/libre/open social media (as alternative to centralized twitter & wall-garden of facebook. See tracking task and Wikimedia-l: Wikimedia Social: non-profit social networking service?.
- Scheduling and polling
- Cronos (a calendar to discover Wikimedia events) See about Cronos and Cronos description page) for more information.
- Time Convertor (Convert current or future time across time zones and scheduling events in different time zones)
- Wudele (scheduling and polling): a deployment of Framadate, free and open-source software (maintained by Framasoft). More information on Wikitech
- SecurePoll (natively developed?) (voting)
- Events calendar
- Programs & Events Dashboard (maintained by Wiki Education ) (event tracking)
- Mailling lists
- Volunteer Response Team, uses VRTS (ticket management)
- ZoneStamp (scheduling events in different time zones)
- MediaWiki used as organisation knowledge base (with potential restricted access to pertaining members)
- Wikimedia Foundation Governance Wiki
- Wikimedia France instance (obsolete, all new public communications concerning Wikimedia France are now on Meta
- Meta-Wiki, the global community site for the Wikimedia Foundation's projects and related projects, from coordination and documentation to planning and analysis.
- Issue tracker
- Code related
- Recording and streaming to a social
- absent - "project page template", such as for setting a community program page on Meta-Wiki
- absent - simplified interface or template for participating in a Requests for comment
- Loomio (Q15975673) - elaborate discussion and consensus reaching platform (beyond SecurePoll's voting) has both web and email interface (See tracking task)
- PeerTube (Q50938515) - federated free/libre/open streaming media and (p2p) hosting (as alternative to centralized youtube and vimeo, but also our non-streaming and non-distributed Commons server)
Criteria to list
- Must have the purpose of directly improving social coordination for developing Wikimedia projects
- Installed on Wikimedia servers or an affiliated chapter (Note: hosting on Wikimedia servers has its own criteria, like being free and open. All tools listed should meet the same criteria so they always remain equally open of host migration)
- Available for general use and not by special permission
- Free as in libre.
- Support for ActivityPub (Q40463886) protocols and/or other ম্যাস্টোডন (Q27986619) integration.
- Support for integration with Wikimedia Single Sign-On (Q568494) authentication mechanisms.
- Research on open source team communication tools (2017, with partial updates later)
- Debian's DebianSocial - a like-minded organization's work in the same federated collaboration space
- Discord (VOIP), which relies on a non-libre platform and not hosted by Wikimedia foundation or an affiliate chapter, but which is used by some working groups in the Wikimedia Community
- Facebook pages, which relies on a non-libre platform and not hosted by Wikimedia foundation or an affiliate chapter, but which is largely used by the Wikimedia Community
- Microblogging handles, which mixes the (few) use of libre platforms (Mastodon…) as well as the far more market dominant non-libre solutions (Twitter…)
- Social media
- Telegram, which relies on a non-libre platform and not hosted by Wikimedia foundation or an affiliate chapter, but which is largely used by the Wikimedia Community
- FLOSS-Exchange - experiences with free/libre and open source software in the Wikimedia organizations
- YouTube channels, which relies on a non-libre platform and not hosted by Wikimedia foundation or an affiliate chapter, but which is largely used by the Wikimedia Community
- Wikipedia is not a social club