Wikimedia Foundation website/WordPress theme
The WordPress theme developed for the Wikimedia Foundation website, known as Shiro, is available for download and use by movement groups and affiliates. This page can be utilized to track steps necessary for its usage. The Wikimedia Foundation does not provide direct support for usage of this theme. Please feel free to add notes based on your own implementation experiences.
|Public mirror of code base
Code repository edit
The code utilized by the Wikimedia Foundation website is available in a public mirror on GitHub.
To install the Shiro theme on your site:
- Download, install and activate this plugin: https://github.com/humanmade/asset-loader (otherwise, upon activating the Shiro theme, you will get a "PHP Fatal error":
Uncaught Error: Call to undefined function Asset_Loader\\Manifest\\get_active_manifest() in /wp-content/themes/shiro/inc/assets.php:16)
- Download the code repository for the Shiro theme
- Copy the
shirofolder in the
themesfolder to the
themesfolder of your site's WordPress installation
- Upload a new header image and logo file
- Header logo:
- Select the theme in the Theme management section of your site's administration dashboard
- Customize the theme in your site's theme customization section of your site's administration dashboard
- Be sure to replace logo in Footer section
Instructions for Linux edit
git clone https://github.com/wikimedia/shiro-wordpress-theme.gitto clone
- Follow the steps above.
Note: After activation a error popup will appear. You can safely ignore this, your theme is active. Also ignore the update message, is for another shiro theme not owned by Wikimedia Foundation.
Updating theme edit
The site's theme version number includes the date when the theme was most recently updated (X.MMDDYYYY). If there has been an update to the theme since you implemented it, you can update your theme by:
- Downloading the code repository for the Shiro theme
- Replacing the
themesfolder of your site's WordPress installation with the
shirofolder in the
themesfolder of the code repository for the Wikimedia Foundation website
Known issues edit
These are known issues with easy implementation of the theme:
- None known at this time
Documentation for using the Shiro theme provided within the theme code repository's wiki.
Existing usage edit
These sites are currently utilizing the Shiro theme: