Wikimedia Foundation Board of Trustees/Call for feedback: Community Board seats/Reports/2021-03-11 Wikimedia Argentina
Wikimedia Argentina -11 March 2021
- User:Oscar . (WMF)
- 1 community member
The objective of the meeting was to talk to members of Wikimedia Argentina to collect their thoughts, feedback and questions, on the proposed ideas for candidates for community-sourced seats on the Wikimedia Foundation Board of Trustees.
Topics and NotesEdit
Feedback on specific ideasEdit
- The volunteer commented that the group agrees with the idea of gender parity on the board of trustees, understanding it as something necessary, although some voices see it as already remedied.
- The volunteer agrees with the need to institute stipends for board members, and to provide support and training well in advance of the election for people who want to run in the election.
- The volunteer thinks that there should be a capacity building strategy that can serve as a learning space and can provide monetary support for potential board members.
- The volunteer believes that the accreditations required for board members and c-level employees of the Wikimedia Foundation should be reviewed, as a PhD does not necessarily translate to a good leader nor is it the only bar.
- The volunteer commented that the group supports the idea of a regional seat, but obviously where Latin America has at least one seat, with the understanding that other underrepresented regions such as Africa and Asia must be included.
- Regarding the future interaction with the global council, the volunteer considers that following the 2030 strategy, a process of negotiation of responsibilities with the board of trustees will have to be reached, and hopes this transition to be smooth as possible.