How to move forwardEdit
- What was this session about?
This session was about hiring employees for Wikimedia groups & organizations. It is one of the most challenging issues for Wikimedia organizations to find a good employee and to prevent misunderstandings and problems within the organization afterwards.
- What are the next steps to be taken?
There is the idea of creating a checklist for hiring employees.
see the Commons category
- Anyone interested in learning more about the staff/board relationship in Wikimedia Chapters and to explore the challenges and opportunities of appointing paid staff, operating within a lean team and growing your staff.
- Session Format
- Informal presentations and interactive workshop
- 60 min
Three Executive Directors with 13 years experience between them of working within the Wikimedia movement give their insights into the best (and worst) practices of Human Resource Management in Wikimedia Chapters. Topics that will be discussed: why you should (never) hire Wikipedians, a profile of the ideal first staffer and the ideal Board that hires him/her, how to keep your staff sane, and how to spend money wisely when hiring staff. We will also look briefly at equal opportunities recruitment practices.
- Desired Outcome
Checklist for affiliates planning to hire staff
- Next Steps and Milestones
- Lucy Crompton-Reid (Wikimedia UK), Claudia Garád (Wikimedia Österreich) and Sandra Rientjes (Wikimedia Nederland)
There is no transcript of the session, but the slides are pretty self explanatory.