Wikimedia Conference 2017/Program/36
36: Project Creation and ManagementEdit
How to move forwardEdit
- What was this session about?
Based on previous sessions at Wikimanias and Wikimedia Conference, in this session Maria & Katy shared basic principles and tools for creating and managing projects.
- What are the next steps to be taken?
There are no specific next steps to be taken.
- Wikimedia affiliates who want to start a new project
- Session Format
- 60 min
- Based on Jessie Wild’s presentation at Wikimedia Conference 2014:
- Wikimedia Conference 2014: Making ideas into action
- Wikimania 2016: Making ideas into action
- Wikimania 2015: Making ideas into action
- Wikimania 2014: Making ideas into action
This workshop is intended to be the third in a row in the capacity building track, after a session on creating strategies for Wikimedia affiliates and a session on creating annual plans based on organizational strategies. It follows up on similar presentations at previous Wikimedia Conferences and Wikimanias (“Making Ideas into Action”), bringing strategic ideas down to concrete projects.
We will share some basic theoretical principles of collaborative project creation and development. We will then offer an activity for participants to apply this knowledge to concrete ideas they bring to the workshop.
Participants will work in pairs (or groups of four to five), and fill out a worksheet (possibly a project charter), where they will describe a few initial tasks to complete. The worksheet is intended to be the planning document for this project.
- Desired Outcome
- Participants will leave with a clear sense of how to work through ideas and create sustainable projects.
- Mid-term impact
- More elaborated grant proposals by WMF affiliates
- María Cruz, Katy Love (both WMF)
There is no transcript of the session. The slides are pretty self explanatory.