6 Strategy processes in Wikimedia organisations
- Speakers: Simon Knight (WMUK) and Markus Glaser (WMDE)
- Simon's slides on Slideshare, because they contain Non-Commercial photos
tl;dr: actually, difficult to summarize.
Simon Knight from WMUKEdit
- How we can help people to do things they find useful?
- two pressures in structure processes
- WMF aims get parted in strategic objects
- impact methods is highlighted
- need for tools
- five strategic goals
- develop open Knowledge
- effective use of the resources
- reduce barriers to accessing Open Knowledge
- Encourage and support technological innovation
- develop, support and engage with other Wikimedia communities
- there are several indicators to measure success
Marcus from Wikimedia DeutschlandEdit
- Board change every year
- so there are papers for this
- main goal is a light weight strategy (understandable) in a living document
- interviews to find out what people think about Wikimedia Germany
- its easy to get lost in definitions
- WMDE decided against external consultants
- Drafting things takes a lot of time, fighting a lot about wordings and meaning of wordings
- strategy for four years, and assess the strategy after one year. the strategy should be "living"
- searching for an inclusing way for this
- Has anyone worked with external consultants? Was it effective?
- How do you make use of external consultants?
- How much time did you take, and what stakeholders do you work with?
- How do we do strategy inclusively?
- How do we collaborate across chapters, etc?
- What level of strategy do you work with--a framework (WMUK) or a planning doc, etc.
- Strategy pre/post Executive Director employment?
- What kind of strategy levels are existing?
- What do we do with annual plan activities which don't fit into our (or WMF) strategy?
- What points do we set targets for?
- How and when do you engage community?
- What question should we ask to get people to participate (not "what should our strategy be?")
- What is the experience on
- How do we relate overall, and technical/educational/GLAM, etc. strategy?
- Link to WMUK.com strategy-metrics mapping (see navbox for links to rest of strategy) https://wikimedia.org.uk/wiki/Strategy_monitoring_plan
- Link to WMF 5 year strategy http://strategy.wikimedia.org/wiki/Main_Page
- Wikimedia Australia strategy elements http://www.wikimedia.org.au/wiki/Strategic_Plan - used upscale to gather ideas (http://strategywmau.ideascale.com/ )
- 'See also' https://wikimedia.org.uk/wiki/Overview_of_strategy#See_also
- Some WMDE strategie resources https://www.wikimedia.de/wiki/Kompass_2020
- (English) blog on Amical Wikimedia strategy process http://blog.wikimedia.org/2013/08/26/drafting-a-strategy-plan-with-the-community/ and see also https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Amical_Wikimedia/Definici%C3%B3_del_pla_estrat%C3%A8gic_d%27Amical and (English) https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Amical_Wikimedia/Strategic_Plan_2014-2018
- WMNL strategie category https://nl.wikimedia.org/wiki/Categorie:Strategie
- WMSE strategy docs https://se.wikimedia.org/wiki/Strategi
- Evaluation day etherpad http://etherpad.wikimedia.org/p/BerlinPE&D metrics session etherpad http://etherpad.wikimedia.org/p/Berlin_Metrics_Brainstorm_Session