11 Learning, development and training in Wikimedia movement organisations
Session to share best practises in the past. Chris tells about his story, taking part in a training session.
Five minutes, talk to your neighbor: Whats is your board spending time on?
- telling from a workshop
- hide burn out, expection of board members is very high
- discussion becomes fastly politcal
- huge differnce between the expections of the different chapters
- it came out:  is a good concemt for affiliations to come together, shows aims how to become more diversity in the discussion
- the board is electric
- different approches to gov
- concentrate on a kind of assessment
- what is important for boards?
- boards want to have some outtcome, wants to do big things
- but they don't have the time for this
- boards should all the time try to be more effective
- how to have mor fun? eat enough, sleep enough
- How does the WMF Board do?
- taking care
- listening to people who have experiences
- cut them down or let them grow
- There are three main points, what we do, when we talk about ourselfs
- assessment of the entire board
- assessment individual board members
- support individual learning
- see the board as a body
- Ask yourself: what should be the outcome?
- make clear the relationship between board and staff!
- are there guidelines? which?
- where is the right place to put your nose, don't do the work of the staff!
- => it sounds beautiful, but it is difficult
- remeber we have different people with different approaches
- think often about the aim of you board!
- do surveys to collect informations about the thinkings of others in look of your work
- in the done survey every board member gots its own answers of the survey
Q: relationship between the board and the assessment - tell more about the survey A: it takles several parts of board
Ask yourselfes: How do you and your Board work?
- defining a streategy
- managing working with stuff
- improive governance
- avoiding burn out to its members
- Aim is a closer idea what support people need.
- People should discuss in 5 minutes, what your board needs to do a better job.
- people diskussion in 5 well mixed groups a 6-8 persons
List of need for development a chapter
- introduce people in the culture of th movement, teach them
- help how to access funds if needed (and development practises)
- charity law support
- manage internal and external communication
- keep in active and involve people
- design decision-making
- make processes to be more efficient
- Whos job is it, to develop this?
- there is a board workshop on meta (--> Boards training workshop March 2014)
- there is many material, but it is not so easy to find
- anual reports help much new chapters to understand, what happend
- activate translation matrix on meta and every chapter should publish there reports there