Wikimedia User Group China
Formerly Active Affiliate
This page is kept for historical interest. It documents a formerly active affiliate group whose recognition has ended.
To find active Wikimedia affiliates throughout the world visit the Affiliates Portal.
Wikimedia User Group China, or Wikimedia China, (中国维基媒体用户组) is a Wikimedia user group for promoting Wikimedia Movement in China. We are focusing on growing slowly but steadily as an organization. The two primary objectives are keeping hosting campaigns and personal growth of members which benefits us in return.
|Wikimedia User Group China|
People's Republic of China
|Approval date||30 July 2014|
History of communityEdit
In 2009, Chinese Wikipedia attempted to set up a local chapter and sent a letter to Chinese Authority through Jimmy Wales. However, we failed to move any further by negative response. Since then many offline activities were still held by Chinese Wikipedian volunteers in more than 7 cities. During the past few years, small communities were started and strengthened, but there was still no effective method to connect or help each other. In 2013 Wikimania, 20 Chinese Wikipedians, including members of Taiwan Chapter, decided to put the user group on the agenda.
- Spreading the ideas of Wikimedia Movement.
- Introducing Wikipedia to more Chinese people.
- Encouraging people to become contributors.
- Maintaining the community and obtaining more community members.
- Helping on cooperation with other communities or institutions.
- Helping the growth and development of other Chinese/China-based Wikimedia projects.
- Total Member: 22
- What we did before and will continue doing
- What we planned to do
- Education program: outreach in collage, online course
- Cooperation with other institution or community
- Wikimedia User Group China recognition - July 2014
- Renewals from 2015 WMCon Eligibility Renewal Sprint - December 2015