Date: Wednesday, February 11, 2009
Time: 02:00 UTC (6:00 PST, 7:00 MST, 8:00 CST, 9:00 EST, 10:00 AST, 10:30 NST)
Venue: Skype. Arctic.gnome will invite all interested persons to both a voice and a chat conversation. Anyone without a microphone should be able to listen to the conversation and make comments in the chat.
- Discussion of Wikimedia Canada/Todo, questions and comments.
- Discussion of Wikimedia Canada/Proposed by-laws, questions and comments.
- Discussion of Wikimedia Canada/Draft application, questions and comments.
- Discussion of who will be on the initial application and who's address will be used as the legal address for the organization.
- Alex (Az1568)
- Andrew L. (OhanaUnited)
- Benoit (Antaya)
- Brian C. (LeftButton)
- Casey B. (Cbrown1023)
- Gerald (Historybuff)
- Jeffrey N. (Arctic.gnome)
- Ken G. (Ken Goudsward)
- Steve S. (Sarcasticidealist)
- Wayne R. (WayneRay)
- Each person introduced themselves briefly.
- Went through the to do list
- Steve S. volunteered to do NUANS name search report to confirm that the name "Wikimedia Canada" is not taken
- Ken G. proposed to have at least an annual general meeting for members
- Jeffrey N. seconded and suggested to have monthly meetings for directors.
- The frequency of general meeting would need to be included in the general member.
- Once the bylaw is completed, the people who sign the document become the first board of directors.
- At least four people are required to sign on the document per federal and Wikimedia Foundation rules.
- The issue of mailing address would be addressed in future meeting(s).
- Participants in the meeting unanimously approved the motion of editing and marking all changes to the by law in red. Afterwards, the bylaw will be reviewed line by line.
- After the final version of bylaw is completed, the committee will send it to a lawyer for comments.
- Steve S. identified himself as a law student as Gerald said he could get a lawyer to take a look at it.
- Gerald suggested we could try ask Wikimedia Foundation to do something with the incorporation cost.
- Andrew L. explained the difference between non-profit and charity organizations. Only charity organizations are eligible to issue tax-receipt.
- Membership fees to be discussed later.
- $200 filing fee is required for incorporation, in addition to $15 for NUANS.
- Document signing must be done in front of a witness, who should be a notary public or a lawyer.
- Brian C. found the least expensive notary public charges $15 for witnessing of signature ($10 for each additional signatures witnessed).
- Jeffrey N. said we should get a bank account and Paypal account to handle membership fees.
- Brian C. proposed to finish the bylaw by March 18, 2009.
- Participants unanimously agreed with Brian's proposal.
Meeting time & frequencyEdit
- Andrew L. proposed to push the meeting time an hour early so that participants from east coast do not have to stay up late for the meeting.
- Participants unanimously agreed with Andrew's proposal.
- The next meeting date will be announced on the mailing list.
|Jeffery Nichols||Arctic.gnome||Skype: arctic.gnome
|St. John's, NL|
|Steve Smith||Sarcasticidealist||Skype: sarcasticidealist||Fredericton, NB|
|Gerald A||historybuff||irc: hotr||Toronto, ON|
|Brian Chick||LeftButton||Skype: brian.chick||Toronto, ON|
|Ken Goudsward||Ken Goudsward||Skype: KenGoudsward||Prince George, BC|
|Benoit Desrochers||Antaya||Skype: antaya.le.pouceux||Montréal, QC|
|Andrew Leung||OhanaUnited||Skype: Andrew.C.Leung||Richmond Hill, ON|
|Casey Brown||Cbrown1023||IRC: kibble
|Wayne Ray||WayneRay||Skype: waynescottray||London, ON|
Not attending, but interested
|Jean-François Lepage||JF Lepage||irc: JeffdeStGermain||Rimouski, QC|
|Ian Bailey||Ian_Bailey||irc: yanstheman||Toronto, ON|
May 21, 2008
|WMC Ninth Formal Formation Meeting
February 11, 2009
June 18, 2009