Wikimedia Australia/Meeting 6/Summary
- To build & increase the sense of community internally amongst Australian Wikimedians.
- To have a press contact who represent us and our point of view when responding to media criticism and questions.
- To help organise social wiki events.
- To make a strong bid for hosting the Wikimania conference within Australia.
- To raise the profile of the Wikipedia & other Wikimedia projects within the broader Australian community, and to encourage more Australians to contribute to those projects.
- To engage & discuss with government about wikis and free content (e.g. encourage the use of wikis in schools).
- To allow media accreditation for Wikinews reporters.
- To share the goals of the Wikimedia Foundation and support it within Australia. Note however that we have no legal control of or responsibility for the websites of the Wikimedia Foundation.
- an incorporated association
- Whatever legal structure is used there will be some expenses to maintain it.
- Income would come from capacity to accept donations + some kind of annual fee from members.
- We need to identify some pro-bono or very inexpensive lawyers who can help us.
- We need those lawyers to:
- confirm proposed structure makes sense
- revise structure if required
- and then enact that structure