Wikimania 2014 judging criteria
Quality of venueEdit
- General suitability: proximity to lodging, number and size of rooms available, whether Wikimania will be the sole user of the venue during the event, venue owner's experience with handling conferences of this size, firmness of commitment, availability of backup venues
- Internet access: within venue, within lodging, within social areas. Access free of charge. Wireless access with sufficient capacity. Provision of laptop rental (and cost). Venue's ability to provide technology infrastructure. Information on local networks, voice and data roaming compatibility for mobile phones/devices.
- Social areas: whether a space for socialising is available, whether that space is open 24 hours a day, proximity to venue and accommodation, facilities available (food, drinks, internet access)
- Lodging: proximity to venue, suitability and price, variety of types of lodging available, availability during event and any pre- or post- conference meetings.
- General location: proximity to an international airport, facilities nearby (restaurants, tourist sites for outings, etc)
- Local laws, customs, attitudes, and culture: anticipated benefits or problems for attendees, and compatibility with Wikimedia's values
- Separate note about safety and potential catastrophes, for venues that make attendees wary (help needed to measure safety here and avoid this becoming a point for unsourced political/religious debates)
- Visas/immigration: potential challenges in visiting from any other location, difficulty and cost, possibility of local help, online resources
- Rotation of location: location should not be near sites of previous 1-2 Wikimanias (mainly to balance cost and ease of attendance from other locales from one year to the next). However if a very strong bid in such locations can be placed, do not hesitate to do so.
- Organising team: Local volunteers willing to take a lead role in organizing the event; who is responsible for what areas of the conference; their skills (technical, PR, financial, English language ability, etc.); their experience with similar ventures.
- Financial Responsibilities: Teams must make it clear how the conference will be supported in terms of financial logistics. Is there an existing local chapter or organisation that will provide support for financial infrastructure? If not, what financial infrastructure is in place or would need to be put in place.
- Chapter support: If there is a nearby Wikimedia chapter or other established organization offering to help with overall oversight of the event, please indicate their experience with logistics and financial accountability for events of similar scope, and what their responsibilities would be. It must be made clear if such chapters exist but are not willing to provide support.
- Other organizational support: Support from local governments, universities, venues, and NGOs. Please elaborate on what help they can or cannot provide.
- Press: Media interest and PR opportunities: prior and expected interest, both locally and internationally
Funding, cost, ease of attendanceEdit
- General cost: of accomodation, food, net access after hours, phone service, etc.
- Funding: amount of local sponsorship available
- Travel: costs of travel to the location from various countries, particularly those with high numbers of Wikimedians, options available for travel (alternatives to flying). Cost of lodging stay for attendees. Cost of travel within city.