Q. Where is it?
A. Solo Convention Center, in Surakarta, Indonesia
Q. When is it?
- Developer meetings (Hackathon) will take place on Tuesday and Wednesday, July 10 and 11, 2012.
- The main conference will take place on Thursday – Saturday, July 12–14, 2012.
- The Unconference will take place on Sunday, July 15, 2012.
- What and where is Surakarta?
- Surakarta is the second largest city in Central Java, Indonesia. It's located almost in the middle of the island of Java, one hour flight from Jakarta, two hours flight from Singapore.
- What languages are spoken in Surakarta area?
- The primary language spoken is Javanese language (bahasa Jawa), along with the lingua franca Indonesian language. The signs displaying both languages. English usually is understood by the locals. The Indonesian language using the same 26 letters alphabet as English, and is pronounced as it is written, and simple phrases are in reverse order than that of English (i.e. Kota Solo rather than Solo City).
- How's the weather during the summer?
- Located close the equator, between July and August the temperature ranges from 21-30 degree Celcius. Situated near the Indian Ocean the humidity is pretty high. Hot and humid, with temperatures regularly above 90 degrees Fahrenheit (32 degrees Centigrade).
- What types of clothing do you suggest?
- Light clothing, modest, flip-flop (sandals) is suggested. Probably some hats and dark glasses for those who're not used to prolonged sun exposure (in tours, for example)
- What electricity and telecommunications are utilized?
- Electrical outlets in Indonesia use two round receptacles: CEE 7/4 (German "Schuko"), compatible with CEE 7/5 (French), CEE 7/7, and CEE 7/17 (Europlugs). It supplies up to 16 A/220 V. The major modes of mobile telecommunications include GSM and CDMA.
- What's the country code / city code of Indonesia and Surakarta?
- The country code of Indonesia is 62 and the local code of Surakarta is 271. From within Indonesia, you can dial (0271) followed by the telephone number you wish to dial.
- What's the currency in Indonesia?
- Indonesia uses the Indonesian Rupiah. Currency exchange booths are available at the airports.
- Can I use my credit card in Solo?
- Yes. Most vendors will accept credit cards such as Visa and MasterCard, but probably not Discover and American Express.
- What is Solo's time zone?
- The time zone is Western Indonesia Timezone (UTC+7).
- Whom do I call in case of an emergency while I'm in Solo?
- What types of accommodation are available?
- Hotels and hostels of various prices are available for out-of-town attendees. See Wikimania 2013 bids/Surakarta#Accommodation.
- Are meals included?
- Breakfast and lunch are included in the registration price. Dinner and meals outside the venue are not covered by registration, but there are plenty of nearby restaurants.