Wikimania 2011/Judging criteria
|Wikimania 2005 (site)|
|Wikimania 2006 (site)|
|Wikimania 2007 (site)|
|Wikimania 2008 (site)|
|Wikimania 2009 (site)|
|Wikimania 2010 (site)|
Quality of venueEdit
- General suitability: suitability, proximity to accommodation, number and size of rooms available, whether Wikimania will be the sole user of the venue during the event, venue owner's experience with handling conferences of this size
- Internet access: access within the venue, access within the accommodation, access within the social areas. Whether or not free access can be provided. Whether or not the area is covered by wi-fi. Provision of laptop rental (and cost of this). Venue's ability to provide technology infrastructure. Information on local networks and roaming compatibility for mobile phones/devices.
- Social areas: whether a space for socialising is available, whether that space is open 24 hours a day, proximity to venue and accommodation, facilities available (food, drinks, internet access)
Location, location, locationEdit
- Accommodation: proximity to venue (closer is better), suitability and affordability, variety of types of accommodation available, availability for the event as well as any pre- or post- conference meetings planned.
- General location: proximity to an international airport, facilities nearby (restaurants, tourist sites for outings, etc)
- Local laws, customs, attitudes, and culture: whether these are likely to provide any benefits or problems for attendees, and whether they are in keeping with the values of the Wikimedia Foundation
- Safety: whether the location presents any safety concerns for attendees
- Visas/immigration: any issues with attending this location from any other location, difficulty and cost, possibility of local help with getting these
- Rotation of location: whether the location is too close to Wikimania location in the preceding 1-2 years, primarily an extension of "cost/ease of attendance" varying significantly with distance from the location. However if a very strong bid in such locations can be placed, do not hesitate to do so.
- Organizing team: local volunteers willing to take a lead role in organizing the event; who is responsible for what areas of the conference; their skills (technical, PR, financial, English language ability, etc.); their experience with similar ventures. If there is a local Wikimedia chapter in place, or another established organization pledging its assistance, please mention their involvement and elaborate on what help they can or cannot provide.
- Organizational support from local governments, universities, venues, and NGOs.
- Press: Media interest and PR opportunities: prior and expected interest, both locally and internationally
Cost/ease of attendanceEdit
- General cost: of accommodation, food, net access after hours, phone service, &c.
- Funding: amount of local sponsorship available
- Travel: costs of travel to the location from various countries, particularly those with high numbers of Wikimedians, options available for travel (alternatives to flying). Cost of lodging stay for attendees. Cost of travel within city.