Wikimania 2006/Program/2006-02-16

Program meeting minutes, #wikimania, 02-16-06

MottoEdit

  • FKAATI, the cry of the warror librarian!

AgendaEdit


Condensed notesEdit

  • keynote speakers:
    • Tim Berners-Lee & Lessig/Moglen have been invited per the last meeting by sj & soufron, respectively; haven't heard back yet
    • keynote speakers for tracks: still need speaker suggestions for FKAATI (free knowledge..), Social Science & Projects especially
    • some discussion of how urgent it is to invite keynote speakers soon -- not a matter of hours, but needs to be done soon as people have busy schedules
    • Soufron suggests 2 French social scientists: Christophe Prieur and/or Dominique Cardon (to speak together on a panel?)
    • list of poss. speakers is here, pls continue to edit. Wikimania_2006/Program_ideas
    • best to wait to decide on track keynotes until the tracks have been filled out; however, discussion should continue on possible conference-wide speakers (like TBL); sj suggests we need more international speakers & women
    • Also need to talk about possible panels for tracks
  • Indico: (http://cfp.wikimania.wikimedia.org)
    • tracks -- no track for hacking days or art/media submissions yet; if people organizing those areas need it we can add a track later. In the meantime non-standard submissions go to email.
    • accounts: if you're on a paper reviewing team, you need an account to be able to view submitted abstracts. First, register for an account; then send e-mail to the support e-mail address listed on the cfp page, and request manager access.
  • Scheduling:
    • a schedule needs to be worked up so we know how many slots we have. Angela, sj & Phoebe volunteered to work on it this weekend.
  • Program teams:
    • If you're on a team, recruit more people for it
    • suggested - try and have at least four people/team by next week (2/22), preferably a mix of wikimedians/non-wikimedians (plus an external advisor)
    • SJ & tobacman will work on recruiting this weekend (on village pumps, etc); everyone who's recruited needs to be available mid-april when the bulk of the work will happen
    • Program teams will need a program lead
  • Advisors:
    • SJ suggest recruiting advisors for each of the tracks who can advise on keynote speakers but "not necc. have to deal with processing submissions, contacting speakers, or attending the conference"
    • Advisor recruitment process should happen now, with talking about keynotes
    • achal prabhala suggested for FKAATI
    • Add your advisors here: Wikimania_2006/Program_ideas#Possible_advisors_for_tracks


Future meetingsEdit

  • 22:30-23:00 UTC seems like a good time. Weekdays seem generally agreeable. Put your preferred times here: Wikimania_2006/Planning#Meetings if this doesn't work and we can trade off, so that everyone interested can participate.
  • Next meeting: Thursday Feb. 23, 23:00UTC, 1 hour or less

Log (flume)Edit

[2/16/2006 2:37 PM] <brassratgirl> ok, hi all 
[2/16/2006 2:37 PM] <_sj_> (yes, tbl was invited; waiting to hear back)
[2/16/2006 2:37 PM] <reagleBRKLN> _sj_: want me to ping Ian?
[2/16/2006 2:37 PM] <_sj_> no thanks
[2/16/2006 2:37 PM] <_sj_> if we don't hear back this week, then yes :)
[2/16/2006 2:38 PM] <brassratgirl> Ok, so first item -- who's been invited so far -- 
[2/16/2006 2:38 PM] <reagleBRKLN> ok, remind me then
[2/16/2006 2:38 PM] <reagleBRKLN> (when you want me to send an email)
[2/16/2006 2:38 PM] <brassratgirl> waiting to hear back from tbl 
[2/16/2006 2:38 PM] <_sj_> sure thing :)
[2/16/2006 2:38 PM] <brassratgirl> soufron: and we're waiting to hear back from lessig/moglen, right? 
[2/16/2006 2:38 PM] <_sj_> soufron: heard back from lessig, not from moglen
[2/16/2006 2:38 PM] <brassratgirl> _sj_: really? 
[2/16/2006 2:39 PM] <brassratgirl> ok 
[2/16/2006 2:39 PM] <_sj_> souf: was that a 'yes' for all days ?
[2/16/2006 2:39 PM] <soufron> hello
[2/16/2006 2:39 PM] <soufron> stop
[2/16/2006 2:39 PM] <soufron> we can't do like this
[2/16/2006 2:40 PM] <soufron> we ned to get organized ! 
[2/16/2006 2:40 PM] <soufron> we can't just send mails to people like that
[2/16/2006 2:40 PM] <_sj_> thanks, souf.
[2/16/2006 2:40 PM] <soufron> it's completely not the thing to do !
[2/16/2006 2:40 PM] <soufron> so...
[2/16/2006 2:40 PM] <soufron> also we are not in a hurry
[2/16/2006 2:40 PM] <soufron> I just sent a mail
[2/16/2006 2:40 PM] <soufron> first, we should ask ourselves how many people we can invite
[2/16/2006 2:40 PM] <soufron> and hwo many people per track we can invite
[2/16/2006 2:40 PM] <soufron> then...
[2/16/2006 2:40 PM] <_sj_> in what sense are we not in a hurry?
[2/16/2006 2:40 PM] <soufron> we must have a list of people ready
[2/16/2006 2:41 PM] <brassratgirl> ok, so talking about keynote speakers, who and how many, is on the agenda
[2/16/2006 2:41 PM] <soufron> _sj_, it's not a question of hours
[2/16/2006 2:41 PM] <soufron> :)
[2/16/2006 2:41 PM] <brassratgirl> possibilities are here: http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimania_2006/Program_ideas
[2/16/2006 2:41 PM] <soufron> this is not complete
[2/16/2006 2:41 PM] <soufron> we need to complete it
[2/16/2006 2:41 PM] <_sj_> soufron: this is what we discussed last week.
[2/16/2006 2:41 PM] <brassratgirl> soufron: it's not a matter of hours but it's urgent in the sense that people will get booked up 
[2/16/2006 2:41 PM] <_sj_> yes, please :)
[2/16/2006 2:41 PM] <_sj_> but as far as keynotes go
[2/16/2006 2:41 PM] <_sj_> we need to invite them as soon as possible
[2/16/2006 2:41 PM] <soufron> please they won't get booked up next week
[2/16/2006 2:41 PM] <brassratgirl> esp. busy people like Lessig, et al. 
[2/16/2006 2:41 PM] <_sj_> since they are most likely not to be available.
[2/16/2006 2:41 PM] <_sj_> at any rate,
[2/16/2006 2:42 PM] <soufron> they WILL BE available
[2/16/2006 2:42 PM] <soufron> the conference is prestigious
[2/16/2006 2:42 PM] <soufron> in a prestigious place
[2/16/2006 2:42 PM] <soufron> about a prestigious website
[2/16/2006 2:42 PM] <_sj_> this meeting should not last forever... and is not the right place for questioning the agenda or overall procedure.
[2/16/2006 2:42 PM] <soufron> so we are not in a hurry of days
[2/16/2006 2:42 PM] <_sj_> a loong thought should go on its own section or page on the wiki
[2/16/2006 2:42 PM] <_sj_> and be discussed at length,
[2/16/2006 2:42 PM] <soufron> we need to invite them, let's say... at march 10th
[2/16/2006 2:42 PM] <_sj_> not crammed into 60 minutes
[2/16/2006 2:42 PM] <soufron> how many keynote speakers ? 
[2/16/2006 2:42 PM] <soufron> 10 ? 
[2/16/2006 2:42 PM] <soufron> 20 ? 
[2/16/2006 2:42 PM] <soufron> 40 ? 
[2/16/2006 2:42 PM] <_sj_> so please, please write such a proposal.
[2/16/2006 2:42 PM] <_sj_> soufron...
[2/16/2006 2:42 PM] <_sj_> we said 5 last week, once per theme.
[2/16/2006 2:42 PM] <soufron> ok
[2/16/2006 2:43 PM] <soufron> so once keynote per them
[2/16/2006 2:43 PM] <Betsy_Devine> Sorry, is there a URL with our agenda?
[2/16/2006 2:43 PM] <soufron> are you sure this is enough ? 
[2/16/2006 2:43 PM] <brassratgirl> As _sj_ said, we talked about it last week; this week I'd like to talk about who else to invite
[2/16/2006 2:43 PM] <soufron> well, I was not informed
[2/16/2006 2:43 PM] <soufron> :)
[2/16/2006 2:43 PM] <brassratgirl> yes, here: http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimania_2006/Planning#Meetings
[2/16/2006 2:43 PM] <_sj_> please also review old notes before running in with long new ideas :)
[2/16/2006 2:43 PM] <soufron> ok but where are the notes ? :)
[2/16/2006 2:43 PM] <brassratgirl> I emailed them to you 
[2/16/2006 2:43 PM] <_sj_> and on the wiki: http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimania_2006/Program/2006-02-04
[2/16/2006 2:44 PM] <_sj_> betsy : you have to run soon, yes?
[2/16/2006 2:44 PM] <brassratgirl> beat me to it :) 
[2/16/2006 2:44 PM] <Betsy_Devine> sj, yes, sorry.
[2/16/2006 2:44 PM] <soufron> cool
[2/16/2006 2:44 PM] <_sj_> will you be around this weekend?  let's try to work out press issues on the wiki.
[2/16/2006 2:45 PM] <soufron> so we will only launch keynotes
[2/16/2006 2:45 PM] <_sj_> and your contributions to the program ideas page would be most welcome.
[2/16/2006 2:45 PM] <soufron> will we have other people invited ? 
[2/16/2006 2:45 PM] <brassratgirl> well, let's talk about it. 
[2/16/2006 2:45 PM] <_sj_> regarding completing the list, we still need more people from other countries; more women.  
[2/16/2006 2:45 PM] <soufron> that was my point
[2/16/2006 2:45 PM] <_sj_> I talked to esther dyson a few days ago, and she said she would send some suggestions.
[2/16/2006 2:45 PM] <brassratgirl> we need keynote speakers especially for the social sciences track; as well as the projects track 
[2/16/2006 2:46 PM] <soufron> for social science I have a suggestion
[2/16/2006 2:46 PM] <soufron> with a french researcher from the cnrs
[2/16/2006 2:46 PM] <soufron> a top level guy
[2/16/2006 2:46 PM] <_sj_> she has a lot of experience thinking about how to balance similar kinds of conferences.
[2/16/2006 2:46 PM] <soufron> who could team up with someone else
[2/16/2006 2:46 PM] <brassratgirl> reagleBRKLN, did you have any ideas for social science stuff? 
[2/16/2006 2:46 PM] <soufron> he study social networks in telecommunications at france telecom research
[2/16/2006 2:46 PM] <soufron> and his name is dominique cardon
[2/16/2006 2:46 PM] <brassratgirl> soufron: ok 
[2/16/2006 2:47 PM] <reagleBRKLN> what is wanted in a SS speaker? someone from the SS with thoughts on WP, or someone studying WP?
[2/16/2006 2:47 PM] <brassratgirl> can you add his name to the list? 
[2/16/2006 2:47 PM] <soufron> with christophe prieur (also director of research at cnrs) they are beginning a project about social networks on wikiepdia
[2/16/2006 2:47 PM] <soufron> I do
[2/16/2006 2:47 PM] <_sj_> joe: both
[2/16/2006 2:47 PM] <soufron> I would not invite them alone though
[2/16/2006 2:47 PM] <soufron> but as a panel it would be great
[2/16/2006 2:47 PM] <_sj_> we will need to have separate discussions about panels.  Each theme should identify a handful of panel topics, and come up with people (and alternates) to fill the panels.
[2/16/2006 2:47 PM] -->| tobacman (n=Jeremy@140.247.153.140) has joined #wikimania
[2/16/2006 2:48 PM] <Angela> Perhaps we should put together the schedule soon and see exactly how many panels etc we need.
[2/16/2006 2:48 PM] <reagleBRKLN> sadly, know, i would just peruse the WP researchers page...
[2/16/2006 2:48 PM] <brassratgirl> hi tobacman
[2/16/2006 2:48 PM] <soufron> will we have a panel and a keynote speak ? 
[2/16/2006 2:48 PM] <soufron> or a panel or a keynote speak ? 
[2/16/2006 2:48 PM] <reagleBRKLN> s/know/no/
[2/16/2006 2:48 PM] <brassratgirl> reagleBRKLN: fair enough 
[2/16/2006 2:48 PM] <brassratgirl> I'm thinking about outside people, too 
[2/16/2006 2:49 PM] <brassratgirl> soufron: both
[2/16/2006 2:49 PM] <_sj_> but you can approach this from both ends : defining panels and trying to find people to fill them ; and identifying people to invite and figuring out which (perhaps multiple) panels/events they could be part of.
[2/16/2006 2:49 PM] <soufron> what do you mean... both ? 
[2/16/2006 2:49 PM] <brassratgirl> soufron: hopefully 
[2/16/2006 2:49 PM] <reagleBRKLN> maybe some folks who have written books on encyclopedias, but not WP?
[2/16/2006 2:49 PM] <soufron> a panel and a keynote ? 
[2/16/2006 2:49 PM] <_sj_> angela: sounds like a good idea for the weekend.
[2/16/2006 2:49 PM] <brassratgirl> Angela: it would be nice to know how many slots total we had 
[2/16/2006 2:49 PM] <brassratgirl> _sj_: yes :) 
[2/16/2006 2:49 PM] <Angela> is this something that can be done in indico?
[2/16/2006 2:50 PM] <brassratgirl> Angela: I'm not sure 
[2/16/2006 2:50 PM] <brassratgirl> maybe 
[2/16/2006 2:50 PM] <_sj_> (btw : 3 submissions so far)
[2/16/2006 2:50 PM] <brassratgirl> _sj_: one's junk :) 
[2/16/2006 2:50 PM] <brassratgirl> test submission
[2/16/2006 2:50 PM] <Angela> could someone give me an account on indico please?
[2/16/2006 2:50 PM] <brassratgirl> Angela: sure 
[2/16/2006 2:51 PM] <brassratgirl> We need to figure out who needs accounts on indico 
[2/16/2006 2:51 PM] <Angela> Thanks.
[2/16/2006 2:51 PM] <soufron> what is indico ? 
[2/16/2006 2:51 PM] <soufron> lol
[2/16/2006 2:51 PM] <_sj_> yes, indico allows you to set sessions
[2/16/2006 2:51 PM] <brassratgirl> soufron: the conference submission software, see cfp.wikimania.wikimedia.org
[2/16/2006 2:51 PM] <_sj_> and rooms, and assign each session to a room
[2/16/2006 2:51 PM] <soufron> we need some politician as keynote speaker ! 
[2/16/2006 2:51 PM] <_sj_> and [abstracts] to sessions.
[2/16/2006 2:51 PM] <brassratgirl> Everyone who wants permissions on indico needs to sign up for an account first, I believe
[2/16/2006 2:52 PM] <brassratgirl> so your email & name is in the system 
[2/16/2006 2:52 PM] <soufron> brassratgirl, I need an account
[2/16/2006 2:52 PM] <brassratgirl> (ivan could confirm that) 
[2/16/2006 2:52 PM] <_sj_> please go to indico and register
[2/16/2006 2:52 PM] <brassratgirl> there's two steps: registering for an account like an ordinary user 
[2/16/2006 2:52 PM] <_sj_> then you'll have an "account" which can be made an admin account
[2/16/2006 2:52 PM] <neuralis> re: indico, go and get an account. then send e-mail to the support e-mail address listed on the cfp page, and request manager access.
[2/16/2006 2:52 PM] <brassratgirl> _sj_ :) 
[2/16/2006 2:53 PM] <brassratgirl> hi ivan! thanks, best directions of all 
[2/16/2006 2:53 PM] <Angela> is it still at http://radian.org:8080/ ? I can't access it
[2/16/2006 2:53 PM] <soufron> ok I am creating
[2/16/2006 2:53 PM] <_sj_> cfp.wikimania.wikimedia.org
[2/16/2006 2:53 PM] <tobacman> hi all!
[2/16/2006 2:53 PM] <soufron> so...
[2/16/2006 2:53 PM] <neuralis> Angela: http://cfp.wikimania.wikimedia.org
[2/16/2006 2:53 PM] <soufron> when do we decide who are our keynote speakers
[2/16/2006 2:53 PM] <neuralis> angela: radian.org:8080 was a test site.
[2/16/2006 2:53 PM] <soufron> there were a consensus for lawrence lessig I believe
[2/16/2006 2:53 PM] <soufron> but after that...
[2/16/2006 2:54 PM] <_sj_> angela: in case you thought this would preclude background-color wars, you can set background color and text color separately for each session
[2/16/2006 2:54 PM] <_sj_> hi tobacman
[2/16/2006 2:54 PM] <brassratgirl> One more indico question, while we're on the subject -- 
[2/16/2006 2:54 PM] <neuralis> fire away.
[2/16/2006 2:54 PM] <brassratgirl> we mentioned adding a hacking days track last time
[2/16/2006 2:54 PM] <brassratgirl> I was wondering if we should do that, and also add an art & media track 
[2/16/2006 2:54 PM] <Angela> Ok, I have an account as "angela" there now.
[2/16/2006 2:54 PM] <brassratgirl> so that anyone wanting to submit an art installation project, etc., can do so
[2/16/2006 2:55 PM] <neuralis> yes, i've been meaning to ask whether we should add the hacking days track. it depends on the structure of it; were there talks during hacking days last time?
[2/16/2006 2:55 PM] * _sj_ pokes jeluf
[2/16/2006 2:55 PM] <brassratgirl> Adding 'hacking days' would mean that users submitting abstracts could choose that track, right? 
[2/16/2006 2:55 PM] <Angela> It was more informal. People didn't submit papers for the hacking days I think.
[2/16/2006 2:55 PM] <brassratgirl> reclassifying papers within indico as an admin is really easy though 
[2/16/2006 2:55 PM] <Angela> what do you mean by an art installation project?
[2/16/2006 2:55 PM] <_sj_> I wouldn't want to confuse those who would submit to the tech infrastructure track
[2/16/2006 2:56 PM] <soufron> ok
[2/16/2006 2:56 PM] <neuralis> _sj_: precisely.
[2/16/2006 2:56 PM] <soufron> my account is "soufron"
[2/16/2006 2:56 PM] <_sj_> I think all of the unusual submissions can do that via email
[2/16/2006 2:56 PM] <brassratgirl> _sj_ - right, but we can change it around afterwards 
[2/16/2006 2:56 PM] <soufron> brassratgirl, can you admin me ? 
[2/16/2006 2:56 PM] <neuralis> i'm not logging this meeting, and i can't do indico things now; if you need to be made a manager, please send an e-mail to the support address listed on the page.
[2/16/2006 2:57 PM] <brassratgirl> sure, in a bit 
[2/16/2006 2:57 PM] <_sj_> angela: there have been some artistic suggestions -- visualization projects, other interesting art.  there is a note about such submissions in the cfp.
[2/16/2006 2:57 PM] <brassratgirl> I was wondering if it would be better to have everything in one place, rather than have a few things in email 
[2/16/2006 2:58 PM] <Angela> There's the danger we go completely off-topic if we have an art theme since people will just submit stuff unrelated to the projects.
[2/16/2006 2:58 PM] <brassratgirl> Angela: true
[2/16/2006 2:58 PM] <_sj_> right.  if we had a "theme" on that topic we could make it clear that it was for project-based art
[2/16/2006 2:58 PM] <brassratgirl> ok, what about hacking days though? 
[2/16/2006 2:58 PM] <Betsy_Devine> sorry, bye all...
[2/16/2006 2:58 PM] |<-- Betsy_Devine has left freenode ("Bye from Betsy!")
[2/16/2006 2:59 PM] <Angela> the developers will organise the hacking days won't they/
[2/16/2006 2:59 PM] <_sj_> no hacking days abstracts
[2/16/2006 2:59 PM] <b4_> hacking days programs could be organized less formally via wiki
[2/16/2006 2:59 PM] <_sj_> unless someone specially asks for that to be added
[2/16/2006 2:59 PM] <neuralis> _sj_: +1.
[2/16/2006 2:59 PM] <_sj_> and no need to over-encourage the art.  but there will be at least a couple good exhibits of that nature; so internally we need to be ready for that.
[2/16/2006 3:00 PM] <_sj_> history flow will put out a sequel paper this spring, for instance.
[2/16/2006 3:00 PM] <brassratgirl> well, I wasn't sure if hacking days organizers would want to take advantage of indico's features in organizing a schedule or not .. 
[2/16/2006 3:00 PM] <_sj_> again : if anyone asks for it, no prob.
[2/16/2006 3:00 PM] <_sj_> right now, we have other things to worry about.
[2/16/2006 3:00 PM] <brassratgirl> yes. we have keynote speakers and program teams to talk about 
[2/16/2006 3:01 PM] <brassratgirl> we touched on keynotes a minute ago; 
[2/16/2006 3:01 PM] <_sj_> we need to find more people for a few themes
[2/16/2006 3:01 PM] <_sj_> (if not each of them)
[2/16/2006 3:01 PM] <brassratgirl> I think all of them 
[2/16/2006 3:01 PM] <soufron> so...
[2/16/2006 3:01 PM] <soufron> keynotes  ! 
[2/16/2006 3:02 PM] <soufron> let's go on this
[2/16/2006 3:02 PM] <brassratgirl> though projects, tech, and foss are suffering 
[2/16/2006 3:02 PM] <brassratgirl> the list is here: http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimania_2006/Program_Team
[2/16/2006 3:02 PM] <_sj_> a notice should go out widely, to attract interested people.
[2/16/2006 3:02 PM] <brassratgirl> _sj_: where? 
[2/16/2006 3:02 PM] <_sj_> I will talk to a number of people about FOSS this weekend
[2/16/2006 3:03 PM] <tobacman> sorry, what's foss?
[2/16/2006 3:03 PM] <_sj_> brg: probably a note on larger-project village pumps; also notifying them about the cfp
[2/16/2006 3:03 PM] <reagleBRKLN> tobacman: free open source software
[2/16/2006 3:03 PM] <_sj_> brg: which touches on the first topic, short annoucnements for translation
[2/16/2006 3:03 PM] <brassratgirl> tobacman: in this context, I meant the "Free knowledge and access to information" track
[2/16/2006 3:03 PM] <_sj_> the other thing we need for each theme is one or two external advisors
[2/16/2006 3:03 PM] <brassratgirl> yes! do you have one? 
[2/16/2006 3:04 PM] <tobacman> got it-- thanks, reagle and brg
[2/16/2006 3:04 PM] <brassratgirl> Also, does someone want to volunteer to put notes on village pumps for recruitment and cfp? :) 
[2/16/2006 3:04 PM] <_sj_> I have one in mind for FOSS (achal prabhala, who offered to help out that way for 2006 when he came last year); would like to find another
[2/16/2006 3:05 PM] <_sj_> if people working on each theme can come up with good advisors, we will be in a much better position to balance the speaker lists
[2/16/2006 3:05 PM] <brassratgirl> I meant short announcements
[2/16/2006 3:05 PM] <tobacman> sj:  what would the advisors do?
[2/16/2006 3:05 PM] <brassratgirl> sorry
[2/16/2006 3:05 PM] <_sj_> tobacman: advise on whom to invite
[2/16/2006 3:06 PM] <brassratgirl> _sj_: do you think finding advisors & getting advice can happen in a timely manner
[2/16/2006 3:06 PM] <_sj_> but not necc. have to deal with processing submissions, contacting speakers, or attending the conference
[2/16/2006 3:06 PM] <neuralis> _sj_: what are we trying to do with foss?
[2/16/2006 3:06 PM] <_sj_> brg: I would place finding advisors on par with finding the rest of our keynotes, in priority
[2/16/2006 3:07 PM] <brassratgirl> neuralis: stage a librarian invasion
[2/16/2006 3:07 PM] <brassratgirl> (sorry) 
[2/16/2006 3:07 PM] <_sj_> actually, it is "Free knowledge and access to information"
[2/16/2006 3:07 PM] <neuralis> fkaati? ;)
[2/16/2006 3:07 PM] <_sj_> there is a global "FOSS" meme which most closely overlaps with that theme
[2/16/2006 3:07 PM] <_sj_> but our interest is rather specific
[2/16/2006 3:08 PM] <neuralis> _sj_: okay. i'd avoid the foss term if at all possible.
[2/16/2006 3:08 PM] <soufron> mmmh
[2/16/2006 3:08 PM] <brassratgirl> FKAATI, the cry of the warror librarian!
[2/16/2006 3:08 PM] <neuralis> brassratgirl: i was just thinking something along those lines.
[2/16/2006 3:08 PM] <_sj_> agreed.  apologies for [ab]using it
[2/16/2006 3:08 PM] <brassratgirl> 'Twas my fault. So: we need advisor ideas along with great keynote speaker ideas 
[2/16/2006 3:09 PM] <brassratgirl> Perhaps starting another section here: http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimania_2006/Program_ideas would be good 
[2/16/2006 3:09 PM] <_sj_> soufron: to your earlier comments, first set a timeline for finding advisors and finishing the teams; then a timeline for each team to identify a certain # of desired speakers
[2/16/2006 3:10 PM] <_sj_> meanwhile we can work out what the schedule will look like
[2/16/2006 3:10 PM] <brassratgirl> _sj_: I think not having an advisor shouldn't stop us from talking about people we would really like to have, like TBL 
[2/16/2006 3:10 PM] <_sj_> agreed.  this is all separate from the ongoing search for keynotes
[2/16/2006 3:11 PM] <brassratgirl> keynote discussion should continue, but finishing the program teams is key 
[2/16/2006 3:12 PM] <brassratgirl> when should we try and have people roped in by? 
[2/16/2006 3:12 PM] <brassratgirl> submissions are already coming in; the deadline is april 15
[2/16/2006 3:12 PM] <brassratgirl> program teams will need someone to volunteer for program lead, as well 
[2/16/2006 3:13 PM] <brassratgirl> program lead will keep other members on track, make sure all papers get reviewed for your track.. 
[2/16/2006 3:13 PM] <soufron> yes ? 
[2/16/2006 3:13 PM] <soufron> _sj_, sure
[2/16/2006 3:13 PM] <brassratgirl> by the appropriate deadline 
[2/16/2006 3:13 PM] <soufron> so what is our timeline ? 
[2/16/2006 3:13 PM] <_sj_> how about having lists of at least 4 people ready by next week; which may include people who have not yet agreed
[2/16/2006 3:13 PM] <Angela> 4 people on the team, or advisors?
[2/16/2006 3:13 PM] <soufron> we MUST include people who have not yet agreed :D
[2/16/2006 3:13 PM] <soufron> on the team or speakers ? 
[2/16/2006 3:14 PM] <_sj_> including at least 1 external advisor
[2/16/2006 3:14 PM] <_sj_> and at least 3 wikimedians
[2/16/2006 3:14 PM] <soufron> ...
[2/16/2006 3:14 PM] <soufron> why ? 
[2/16/2006 3:14 PM] <Angela> why does one of them need to be external?
[2/16/2006 3:14 PM] <soufron> I don't need an external advisor for law & policy
[2/16/2006 3:14 PM] <soufron> :D
[2/16/2006 3:15 PM] <soufron> I think it depends
[2/16/2006 3:15 PM] <_sj_> Just a suggestion.  
[2/16/2006 3:15 PM] <_sj_> this does not have to be a fast rule
[2/16/2006 3:15 PM] <_sj_> it is good for balance, however.
[2/16/2006 3:16 PM] <_sj_> but 4 people per theme should be an attainable target.
[2/16/2006 3:16 PM] <brassratgirl> _sj_: to clarify, do you mean 1 external advisor who isn't actually *on* the team, but just advising it? 
[2/16/2006 3:16 PM] <brassratgirl> or one non-wikimedian on the team? 
[2/16/2006 3:17 PM] <_sj_> yes.  I think we should focus on speaker selection and solicitation
[2/16/2006 3:17 PM] <_sj_> and not on what who is doing on april 30th.
[2/16/2006 3:18 PM] <neuralis> _sj_: progress with berners-lee for tech keynote?
[2/16/2006 3:18 PM] <_sj_> and mainly advising on finding good keynotes...
[2/16/2006 3:18 PM] <neuralis> _sj_: facebook tech keynote, yay/nay? etc
[2/16/2006 3:18 PM] <_sj_> no response yet from tbl
[2/16/2006 3:18 PM] <neuralis> _sj_: can we be more aggressive? phone?
[2/16/2006 3:19 PM] <_sj_> yes... although he says he prefers email
[2/16/2006 3:19 PM] <neuralis> preferences are well and good, but if he hasn't responded yet, i think a phone call is fair game.
[2/16/2006 3:19 PM] <_sj_> I will at least follow up by email tomorrow.  and ping reagle to write ian j if necessary
[2/16/2006 3:20 PM] <_sj_> right.
[2/16/2006 3:20 PM] <_sj_> as for the facebook...
[2/16/2006 3:20 PM] <_sj_> you need to get more people involved to give feedback.  I have no opinion about them.
[2/16/2006 3:21 PM] <_sj_> I would feel better if there were full teams working on a given theme before the keynotes are selected.
[2/16/2006 3:21 PM] <brassratgirl> well, last time we talked about conference keynotes
[2/16/2006 3:21 PM] <neuralis> unfortunately, i don't have time to do recruiting. since lack of staff seems to be a general problem, perhaps someone is willing to take recruiting on as a primary role?
[2/16/2006 3:22 PM] <brassratgirl> neuralis: good question 
[2/16/2006 3:22 PM] =-= brion_away is now known as brion
[2/16/2006 3:22 PM] <_sj_> wb brion
[2/16/2006 3:22 PM] <brassratgirl> people in the specific tracks should recruit people.. 
[2/16/2006 3:22 PM] <brassratgirl> but some tracks are lower on people than others, like tech and projects 
[2/16/2006 3:23 PM] <brion> wazzap
[2/16/2006 3:23 PM] <_sj_> I will recruit generally this weekend; 
[2/16/2006 3:23 PM] <brassratgirl> hey brion 
[2/16/2006 3:23 PM] <brassratgirl> bear in mind this is asking people to do work 2 months from now, as well 
[2/16/2006 3:23 PM] <asw> hey all. 
[2/16/2006 3:23 PM] <_sj_> and focus on those three (including fkaati)
[2/16/2006 3:23 PM] <neuralis> sasha, brion, hey.
[2/16/2006 3:23 PM] <brassratgirl> hey sasha! 
[2/16/2006 3:24 PM] <tobacman> hi sasha, brion!
[2/16/2006 3:24 PM] <brassratgirl> so the bulk of the work will come in mid-april when the submissions are all in .. 
[2/16/2006 3:24 PM] <_sj_> if you're on a short team do think about a good potential advisor, to help in the next few weeks
[2/16/2006 3:24 PM] <_sj_> (this could be from within or without the projects; just not necessarily committed for april)
[2/16/2006 3:24 PM] <brassratgirl> right, there will be work between now & then contacting keynotes (which is where the advisor comes in) 
[2/16/2006 3:25 PM] <_sj_> ivan: I can ask if esther d. is interested in staying in the loop re: tech
[2/16/2006 3:26 PM] <_sj_> is anyone interested in working on the schedule itself this week?
[2/16/2006 3:26 PM] <brassratgirl> _sj_: weekend only, for me 
[2/16/2006 3:26 PM] <brassratgirl> We also missed the top agenda item, which is talking about who else to contact with the cfp 
[2/16/2006 3:27 PM] <brassratgirl> (sorry for being disorganized) 
[2/16/2006 3:27 PM] <_sj_> ok.  and angela?  or were you just pointing out a needed job?
[2/16/2006 3:27 PM] <soufron> hop hop
[2/16/2006 3:27 PM] <_sj_> yes.  aphaia is back from vacation and available to help organize distribution in other langs
[2/16/2006 3:27 PM] <soufron> ...
[2/16/2006 3:27 PM] <soufron> ...
[2/16/2006 3:27 PM] <Angela> sj: what do you mean?
[2/16/2006 3:28 PM] <_sj_> are you interested in working on the schedule structure?
[2/16/2006 3:28 PM] <Angela> Yes, I am.
[2/16/2006 3:28 PM] <_sj_> super.
[2/16/2006 3:28 PM] <Angela> Once I can get into the indico thing.
[2/16/2006 3:28 PM] <_sj_> ivan, now that you're around..
[2/16/2006 3:29 PM] <_sj_> oh, right
[2/16/2006 3:29 PM] <brassratgirl> angela, _sj_, would sunday work for you two? 
[2/16/2006 3:29 PM] <_sj_> sunday's fine after 5 utc
[2/16/2006 3:30 PM] <_sj_> so probably any time angela would be free
[2/16/2006 3:30 PM] <Angela> Sunday's proably ok, though I've got another meeting at a time yet to be arranged.
[2/16/2006 3:30 PM] <brassratgirl> also, _sj_, you said you'd work on general recruitment... anyone else want to help with that? 
[2/16/2006 3:30 PM] <neuralis> _sj_: yes?
[2/16/2006 3:30 PM] <_sj_> soufron: we need more cfp distribution in french channels
[2/16/2006 3:30 PM] <Angela> Not 1-10pm UTC if possible.
[2/16/2006 3:31 PM] <tobacman> i'll be out of town this weekend, but i can start pinging people from the list of supporters on the bid page.
[2/16/2006 3:31 PM] <_sj_> yes, I could use help with distributing messages
[2/16/2006 3:31 PM] <tobacman> where else for general recruitment?
[2/16/2006 3:31 PM] <_sj_> I'll work on having translations done by sometime saturday
[2/16/2006 3:32 PM] <brassratgirl> tobacman: what page are you talking about? 
[2/16/2006 3:32 PM] <_sj_> tobacman, can you help with that?
[2/16/2006 3:32 PM] <_sj_> we'll work up a list on the Distribution page
[2/16/2006 3:32 PM] <brassratgirl> tobacman, never mind, figured it out 
[2/16/2006 3:33 PM] <_sj_> soufron: and I know you have lots of other program ideas; are you content to put them at http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimania_2006/Program_ideas 
[2/16/2006 3:33 PM] <_sj_> for now?
[2/16/2006 3:33 PM] <tobacman> sj, i can help w spanish and bahasa, but don't have much other fluency....
[2/16/2006 3:33 PM] <asw> _sj_ when is 5 utc ?
[2/16/2006 3:33 PM] <soufron> ...
[2/16/2006 3:33 PM] <soufron> ok
[2/16/2006 3:33 PM] <soufron> yes
[2/16/2006 3:33 PM] <_sj_> we can work out how to better structure that 
[2/16/2006 3:33 PM] <soufron> I have very good networks in research
[2/16/2006 3:33 PM] <_sj_> over email
[2/16/2006 3:33 PM] <_sj_> excellent
[2/16/2006 3:33 PM] <soufron> in France and in Europe
[2/16/2006 3:33 PM] <soufron> so I will forward it
[2/16/2006 3:33 PM] <tobacman> sj: oh, you mean distributing messages:  yes i can help with that.
[2/16/2006 3:34 PM] <neuralis> soufron: your account is set
[2/16/2006 3:34 PM] <_sj_> t: great
[2/16/2006 3:34 PM] <neuralis> Angela: account is set
[2/16/2006 3:34 PM] * reagleBRKLN has to go
[2/16/2006 3:34 PM] <_sj_> it's been an hour.
[2/16/2006 3:34 PM] <_sj_> are there any last items we need to cover right now?
[2/16/2006 3:35 PM] <brassratgirl> when to meet next 
[2/16/2006 3:35 PM] <Angela> Thanks neuralis.
[2/16/2006 3:35 PM] <brassratgirl> is this a reasonable time? 
[2/16/2006 3:35 PM] <neuralis> _sj_: it sounded like you wanted to ask me something?
[2/16/2006 3:35 PM] <Angela> It's good for me.
[2/16/2006 3:35 PM] <_sj_> great for me
[2/16/2006 3:35 PM] <brassratgirl> and if so, what day? 
[2/16/2006 3:35 PM] <_sj_> neuralis: yep
[2/16/2006 3:35 PM] <_sj_> I wnated to ask if you could set the accounts up :)
[2/16/2006 3:35 PM] <_sj_> so nevermind
[2/16/2006 3:35 PM] <Angela> Not monday.
[2/16/2006 3:36 PM] <_sj_> wed and thurs work for me
[2/16/2006 3:36 PM] <brassratgirl> anybody else? 
[2/16/2006 3:37 PM] <_sj_> can we do thurs again next week?  and then get on the cases of people whohaven't come
[2/16/2006 3:37 PM] <_sj_> and find out what their conflicts are for future meetings
[2/16/2006 3:37 PM] <brassratgirl> that works for me 
[2/16/2006 3:37 PM] <brassratgirl> thursday, 22:30 UTC, hopefully not as long 
[2/16/2006 3:37 PM] <_sj_> rock on
[2/16/2006 3:37 PM] <brassratgirl> minutes will go here: http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimania_2006/Program/2006-02-16 as usual 
[2/16/2006 3:38 PM] <_sj_> reagle, good to see you
[2/16/2006 3:39 PM] <brassratgirl> so: _sj_ and tobacman are recruiting people to go on the program team 
[2/16/2006 3:40 PM] <brassratgirl> _sj_'s translating a short cfp for translation 
[2/16/2006 3:40 PM] <_sj_> n: I'll make sure to get some kind of answer from the w3c tomorrow.  brg, ang: will find a time by email.   tobacman: ditto
[2/16/2006 3:40 PM] <brassratgirl> _sj_, where will you put the translated cfp? 
[2/16/2006 3:40 PM] <_sj_> mako, around?
[2/16/2006 3:41 PM] <_sj_> brg: http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Translation_requests/Wikimania
[2/16/2006 3:41 PM] <Angela> Bye for now.
[2/16/2006 3:41 PM] <brassratgirl> ok 
[2/16/2006 3:41 PM] |<-- Angela has left freenode ()
[2/16/2006 3:42 PM] <brassratgirl> Ok, so people can distribute it from there... 
[2/16/2006 3:42 PM] <_sj_> must run too.  ciao...
[2/16/2006 3:42 PM] <brassratgirl> ok! bye. 
[2/16/2006 3:42 PM] * neuralis is gone. *poof*
[2/16/2006 3:43 PM] <brassratgirl> everyone: email me questions, will post minutes soon 
[2/16/2006 3:43 PM] <brassratgirl> see you all next week!