Wikimania 2006/Program/2006-02-04

Feb 4, 2006, 22:00 UTC program meeting #wikimania


minutes from other meetings

AgendaEdit

  • short CFP announcement for translation?
  • review of people and groups to contact, and who is contacting them. See Wikimania_2006_Call_for_Participation/Distribution_list. Any major areas missing?
  • conference submission software update
  • keynote speakers - ideas? how many? see: Wikimania_2006/Program_ideas
  • program teams -- who is interested in what? (add yourself to: Wikimania_2006/Program_Team)
  • structure of program teams

Condensed notesEdit

  • Keynote speakers: Discussion of how many keynotes to have, keynotes vs. plenaries, keynote speaker for each track? Suggestion that each track should ideally have a keynote speaker, a panel, and lots of shorter speakers (plus lightning talks/posters). No clear agreement on how many "general" conference keynotes.
    • General agreement that having Tim Berners-Lee would be awesome. Someone from the tech track should invite him.
    • Also general agreement that having Lessig and Eben Moglen speak together would make either a great general keynote or law keynote. Await is going to get in touch with the law track team to get them invited.
    • Discussion of whether inviting the librarian of congress would be useful, other library folks
    • Need to ask Jimbo whether he wants to give a keynote or just opening/closing remarks.
    • other people suggested, added to here: Wikimania 2006/Program ideas
  • Program teams: people signed up for a program team should recruit other people to be on that team. Each team needs someone to take charge of it (Neuralis volunteered for tech). Hacking days is separate, but there may be overlap with the tech team. Should a hacking days track be added into indico for hacking days submissions? Could be useful.
  • Contacting people: when sending out cfps or invites, see Wikimania 2006/Distribution lists. Please remember to claim a list before you send out mail, and to bold your name after you're done. This needs to be done ASAP. Please use the text from here for contacting people: Wikimania 2006 Call for Participation
  • Weekly meetings this month for the program team agreed to in order to keep each other abreast of who has been contacted, etc. PLEASE put your preferred times down here: Wikimania 2006/Planning#Meetings.

Log (jam)Edit

[2/4/2006 2:01 PM] <brassratgirl> hello all!
[2/4/2006 2:03 PM] <brassratgirl> The agenda for the program meeting is here: http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimania_2006/Planning#Program_meeting_:_Feb_4
[2/4/2006 2:04 PM] <_sj_> nice.  mind, come back...
[2/4/2006 2:05 PM] <_sj_> Speakers!
[2/4/2006 2:05 PM] <_sj_> Shall we proceed in order?
[2/4/2006 2:06 PM] <_sj_> Angela was hoping to be around... we can wait another minute or two.
[2/4/2006 2:07 PM] <_sj_> I'll post a short CfP announcement for translation; the start of the latest email should work.
[2/4/2006 2:07 PM] <brassratgirl> sounds good... 
[2/4/2006 2:09 PM] <_sj_> (updating the distro page atm)
[2/4/2006 2:09 PM] <_sj_> has everyone toyed with the conference submission software?
[2/4/2006 2:10 PM] <_sj_> brion, when you're back : can you whitelist http://wikimania.wikimedia.org/wiki/Call_for_Participation ?
[2/4/2006 2:11 PM] -->| gline (i=gline@hcs.harvard.edu) has joined #wikimania
[2/4/2006 2:11 PM] <_sj_> hey matt
[2/4/2006 2:11 PM] <gline> hello
[2/4/2006 2:12 PM] <_sj_> http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimania_2006/Planning#Program_meeting_:_Feb_4
[2/4/2006 2:12 PM] <gline> haven't been to anything wikimania related in a while, so I figured I'd pop in
[2/4/2006 2:12 PM] <_sj_> have you seen the indico install?
[2/4/2006 2:12 PM] <gline> yeah, was talking to Ivan about it
[2/4/2006 2:12 PM] <gline> looks nice
[2/4/2006 2:13 PM] <_sj_> :-)  We're just about to discuss keynotes
[2/4/2006 2:13 PM] <_sj_> there's a longish list here:
[2/4/2006 2:13 PM] <_sj_> http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimania_2006/Program_ideas
[2/4/2006 2:13 PM] <gline> is there a physical meeting going on somewhere as well?
[2/4/2006 2:14 PM] <_sj_> no
[2/4/2006 2:14 PM] <gline> aha. so who else is active on the channel?
[2/4/2006 2:14 PM] <brassratgirl> that's a good question! 
[2/4/2006 2:14 PM] * _sj_ pokes sethilys
[2/4/2006 2:15 PM] * await waves
[2/4/2006 2:15 PM] <brassratgirl> hiya await! 
[2/4/2006 2:15 PM] * _sj_ pokes mako, linuxbeak, and shekhar for good measure
[2/4/2006 2:15 PM] -->| crschmidt (n=crschmid@64.92.170.181) has joined #wikimania
[2/4/2006 2:16 PM] <Linuxbeak> hi
[2/4/2006 2:16 PM] <_sj_> hi crs, long time :)
[2/4/2006 2:16 PM] <brassratgirl> hi linuxbeak 
[2/4/2006 2:16 PM] <gline> (I didn't know Tim Berners-Lee moved to Southampton...)
[2/4/2006 2:17 PM] <brassratgirl> maybe he didn't 
[2/4/2006 2:17 PM] <brassratgirl> sj & I were just talking about that ... 
[2/4/2006 2:17 PM] <_sj_> people we should contact asap : Billington (librarian of congress), Kahle (internet archive), Tim Berners-Lee
[2/4/2006 2:17 PM] <_sj_> I believe he's still in Boston.
[2/4/2006 2:17 PM] <gline> Hal Abelson had mentioned to me that Southampton was gearing up to be the center of the semantic web world
[2/4/2006 2:17 PM] <SethIlys> hi _sj_
[2/4/2006 2:18 PM] <gline> maybe that's what he was referring to
[2/4/2006 2:18 PM] |<-- brion has left freenode ()
[2/4/2006 2:18 PM] <brassratgirl> particularly if he is still in boston, I think getting Berners-Lee to speak would be fabulous
[2/4/2006 2:19 PM] <brassratgirl> what do others think? 
[2/4/2006 2:20 PM] <neuralis> seconded.
[2/4/2006 2:20 PM] <_sj_> He's a great speaker.  and this is totally his bag.
[2/4/2006 2:20 PM] <gline> it'd be a cool symbolic gesture, as well
[2/4/2006 2:20 PM] <brassratgirl> (apparently he was appointed a professorship at Southampton in 2004, but is also still a scientist at MIT) 
[2/4/2006 2:21 PM] <await> brassratgirl - thanks for the time clarification 
[2/4/2006 2:21 PM] -->| Angela (n=Angela@wikipedia/Angela) has joined #wikimania
[2/4/2006 2:21 PM] <_sj_> hi angela
[2/4/2006 2:21 PM] <_sj_> ok, berners-lee has a dual appointment; he's a bit like Zittrain
[2/4/2006 2:22 PM] <_sj_> we're just talking about keynotes
[2/4/2006 2:22 PM] <Angela> Hi.
[2/4/2006 2:22 PM] <brassratgirl> hi angela
[2/4/2006 2:22 PM] * await waves
[2/4/2006 2:22 PM] <_sj_> and what about james h billington?
[2/4/2006 2:23 PM] <await> sam - did you have an idea of how many keynotes you want? 
[2/4/2006 2:23 PM] <await> is a keynote something that everybody attends? 
[2/4/2006 2:23 PM] <await> do we hve a room that fits everyone?
[2/4/2006 2:23 PM] <await> do we also want "theme specific invited speakers". 
[2/4/2006 2:24 PM] <_sj_> the last time this came up, 3 seemed like a sensible number.
[2/4/2006 2:24 PM] <await> one to start, one to end. one in the middle somewhere?
[2/4/2006 2:24 PM] <_sj_> one on each day.
[2/4/2006 2:24 PM] * await nods 
[2/4/2006 2:24 PM] <_sj_> Not countig opening and closing remarks.
[2/4/2006 2:25 PM] <brassratgirl> await, I think of a keynote as something that everyone attends, yes 
[2/4/2006 2:25 PM] <gline> and one of those three is likely to be Jimbo? or he'll give opening or closing remarks?
[2/4/2006 2:25 PM] <await> ok. so we could have invited speakers in tracks as well. but we could keep that separate? 
[2/4/2006 2:25 PM] <_sj_> I don't have a preference, and my preference shouldn't count for too much here;
[2/4/2006 2:25 PM] <_sj_> the question is how many plenary sessions to have, across tracks
[2/4/2006 2:26 PM] <brassratgirl> gline: I imagine that jimbo will give opening remarks, maybe closing 
[2/4/2006 2:26 PM] <_sj_> (or theme), separate from what happens within each theme.
[2/4/2006 2:26 PM] <Angela> would one keynote per theme make sense?
[2/4/2006 2:26 PM] <_sj_> each theme will surely have its own highlighted speakers
[2/4/2006 2:26 PM] <brassratgirl> 5 keynotes? 
[2/4/2006 2:26 PM] <await> if jimbo gives (brief?) opening & closing that might be nice... but maybe he could give one of the keynotes too? or is that too much? how was it lsat year? 
[2/4/2006 2:26 PM] <Angela> Jimmy wanted to do a keynote last year, so we should ask him if he wants to again, or just opening/closing.
[2/4/2006 2:26 PM] <_sj_> one per theme would make sense; in contrast with panels and shorter presentations
[2/4/2006 2:26 PM] <await> Angela - i was calling theme specific "keynotes" ivnited talks.  
[2/4/2006 2:27 PM] <Angela> The closing last year was done by 4 members of the board iirc.
[2/4/2006 2:27 PM] <Austin> This isn't my meeting, but very nature of a "keynote" is to have one; last year sponsorships and *cough* other reasons left us with four, and I recall everyone agreeing that it was nuts.
[2/4/2006 2:27 PM] <Angela> I've never been to a conference with only one keynote.
[2/4/2006 2:27 PM] <_sj_> we could have themed keynotes, which are not plenaries; just the longest session within that theme
[2/4/2006 2:27 PM] <_sj_> (and therefor an honor to the speaker)
[2/4/2006 2:27 PM] <Angela> But I agree we shouldn't be giving them out to sponsors.
[2/4/2006 2:27 PM] <await> maybe different themes will want different things.   (in terms of invited speaker/versus speakers through the submission process) 
[2/4/2006 2:28 PM] <_sj_> and also conference keynote[s] which are plenaries that everyone attends.
[2/4/2006 2:28 PM] <await> Angela - i wasn't there last year but having the board close sounds great! 
[2/4/2006 2:28 PM] <brassratgirl> so, for instance, tim berners-lee would be a plenary.. (?) 
[2/4/2006 2:29 PM] <await> Austin - one "keynote" per day might not be too bad? you think it is? 
[2/4/2006 2:29 PM] <await> at our retreats we have one (and the retreats are two days.) 
[2/4/2006 2:29 PM] <gline> is there a distinction being drawn between keynote and plenary?
[2/4/2006 2:30 PM] <Austin> Certainly, if we have someone we expect everyone to be interested in, we give them a large hall and schedule no conflicts.
[2/4/2006 2:30 PM] <Austin> But that's not the same as a keynote.
[2/4/2006 2:30 PM] <brassratgirl> austin - you don't think so? 
[2/4/2006 2:30 PM] <brassratgirl> that is exactly how I would define keynote. 
[2/4/2006 2:31 PM] <Austin> The keynote address is one given by a central figure to define the entire theme for the event.
[2/4/2006 2:31 PM] <gline> the word "keynote" suggests something bigger than just a talk
[2/4/2006 2:32 PM] <Austin> When Steve Jobs speaks at Macworld, or a prominent journalist at one of their many conferences.
[2/4/2006 2:32 PM] <_sj_> There's a whole subdialect of talk naming at some conferences
[2/4/2006 2:33 PM] <_sj_> the difference between the "Law Keynote" and the "Conference Keynote" mattering to the people involved, I suppose
[2/4/2006 2:33 PM] <_sj_> Can we identify at least one perso per theme we would be glad to have give a seminal talk?
[2/4/2006 2:33 PM] <_sj_> I think that's a good short-term goal.
[2/4/2006 2:34 PM] <neuralis> _sj_: aye.
[2/4/2006 2:34 PM] <Austin> For my part, I would love to have Berners-Lee.
[2/4/2006 2:34 PM] <await> but i agree it might be a bit much. 
[2/4/2006 2:34 PM] <brassratgirl> it sounds like there's pretty good consensus on Berners-Lee 
[2/4/2006 2:34 PM] <_sj_> more immediately, I think we can send TBL an invitation to give a keynote.  
[2/4/2006 2:35 PM] <brassratgirl> _sj_: yes 
[2/4/2006 2:35 PM] <gline> which theme would he be associated with?
[2/4/2006 2:35 PM] <_sj_> perhaps for the tech side of things, if we're dividing things up that way.   is there any interest in the L of C?
[2/4/2006 2:35 PM] <await> TBL sounds good to me. 
[2/4/2006 2:36 PM] <_sj_> technical infrastructure... he's working on the semantic web, after all.
[2/4/2006 2:36 PM] <brassratgirl> for background, the library of congress is working on a big "world digital library" archiving project along with google.. 
[2/4/2006 2:36 PM] <Austin> I think he'd prefer to speak about the philosophy and direction of interactive media, rather than anything "techy."
[2/4/2006 2:36 PM] <await> _sj_ - whether we call them keynotes or invited speakers (in a track) is everybody here who volunteered to run themes 
[2/4/2006 2:36 PM] <Austin> Invite him and ask him what he wants, though.  :)
[2/4/2006 2:36 PM] <brassratgirl> await: no, unfortunately 
[2/4/2006 2:36 PM] <_sj_> (:
[2/4/2006 2:36 PM] <_sj_> await: not everyone.  we can send mail out to that list afterwards, for followup
[2/4/2006 2:37 PM] <_sj_> Librarian of Congress : would he be a draw?  Would it be interesting to attendees?
[2/4/2006 2:37 PM] <await> i tihnk we should have a conference keynote.  and then we should have some idea for theme speakers (but do they have to speak to everyone?) 
[2/4/2006 2:37 PM] <Austin> I don't know if he'd be a "draw," but I know I'd be interested.
[2/4/2006 2:37 PM] <await> ivan and i were talking about having somebody from facebook for the technical infrastructure keynote.  something juicy for techies.
[2/4/2006 2:37 PM] <_sj_> await: not all theme speakers have to speak to everyone.  And they can still be giving the "<theme> keynote address"
[2/4/2006 2:38 PM] <await> I had also suggested Brad Fitzpatrick in the same vein. 
[2/4/2006 2:38 PM] <brassratgirl> await: brad! 
[2/4/2006 2:38 PM] <_sj_> brad's a good talker.
[2/4/2006 2:38 PM] <await> but his = brad's talks are very well known and already available on the web.
[2/4/2006 2:39 PM] <await> he wont say anything new. 
[2/4/2006 2:39 PM] <_sj_> There are advantages to having the L of C around for informal discussions, too.
[2/4/2006 2:39 PM] <await> well relatively speaking. I'd still like to have him. :)
[2/4/2006 2:39 PM] <brassratgirl> my fellow seattlean! :) 
[2/4/2006 2:39 PM] <brassratgirl> angela: so you think we need to talk to jimbo about whether he wants to give a "keynote" or not? 
[2/4/2006 2:39 PM] <_sj_> but there are perhaps better people to speak to free knowledge and access to information
[2/4/2006 2:40 PM] <await> but can we break this up into definite tasks?   first the keynote for the whole conference. 
[2/4/2006 2:40 PM] <_sj_> brg:we should certainly give him the option.
[2/4/2006 2:40 PM] <Angela> Brassratgirl: yes, I think so, unless there are objections to that.
[2/4/2006 2:40 PM] <await> tim berner's lee  - somebody else? more than one person?
[2/4/2006 2:40 PM] <await> none at all.
[2/4/2006 2:40 PM] <_sj_> but should also have people in mind for each theme.
[2/4/2006 2:40 PM] <await> (from me)
[2/4/2006 2:40 PM] <brassratgirl> I certainly have no objections, I was just wondering if anyone knew his preference 
[2/4/2006 2:41 PM] <gline> await: I had thought the present objective was to find people for each theme
[2/4/2006 2:41 PM] <_sj_> Let's focus on finding people for each theme.
[2/4/2006 2:41 PM] <brassratgirl> ok! 
[2/4/2006 2:41 PM] <await> ok. 
[2/4/2006 2:41 PM] <brassratgirl> for law and policy, Lawrence Lessig was suggested 
[2/4/2006 2:41 PM] <_sj_> There's no need to tell them exactly how many people will attend their talk; we can decide later whether we have 3 of these as plenaries, or only 1 as a plenary, or what have you.
[2/4/2006 2:41 PM] <await> with eben moglen
[2/4/2006 2:42 PM] <gline> Lessig is an excellent speaker
[2/4/2006 2:42 PM] <gline> he can be hard to get, but this is a fairly large conference
[2/4/2006 2:42 PM] <_sj_> Lessig alone, or with Moglen?
[2/4/2006 2:42 PM] <await> both. 
[2/4/2006 2:42 PM] <await> please.
[2/4/2006 2:42 PM] <brassratgirl> I don't know anything about Moglen as a speaker -- has anyone seen him? 
[2/4/2006 2:42 PM] <gline> I have
[2/4/2006 2:42 PM] <gline> he's also a good speaker
[2/4/2006 2:42 PM] <await> (i did just speak to L. Lessig for other reasons... he has another talk to give in sf on the 2nd. ) but he can still come if we don't wait too long.
[2/4/2006 2:43 PM] <await> gline - that's a relief. (about eben.) 
[2/4/2006 2:43 PM] <_sj_> so, send them each invitations to speak together? 
[2/4/2006 2:43 PM] * _sj_ looks for mako
[2/4/2006 2:43 PM] <await> yes. can we ask jimbo to do that. preferably in the same email. as i said. ;) 
[2/4/2006 2:43 PM] <await> ?
[2/4/2006 2:43 PM] -->| b4_ (n=b4_@c-65-96-187-35.hsd1.ma.comcast.net) has joined #wikimania
[2/4/2006 2:43 PM] <brassratgirl> though if one of them can't come, would we still want the other? 
[2/4/2006 2:43 PM] <_sj_> hey b4
[2/4/2006 2:43 PM] <await> I wish soufron reagle or titaniumdreads were here.  
[2/4/2006 2:43 PM] <b4_> hello
[2/4/2006 2:44 PM] <brassratgirl> hi b4
[2/4/2006 2:44 PM] <gline> is there any possibility of getting these people to give additional lectures for smaller groups? It seems sort of a shame to get the two of them together and then only get to hear each speak for half an hour or so
[2/4/2006 2:44 PM] <await> i think it's important to invite them together. it would be very sad if they couldn't come but as you can imagine Eben might always suggest a substitute.  ahhm rms 
[2/4/2006 2:44 PM] <neuralis> gline: agreed.
[2/4/2006 2:44 PM] <_sj_> gline: certainly
[2/4/2006 2:45 PM] <brassratgirl> gline: or maybe a more open "discussion section" in additon to their talks 
[2/4/2006 2:45 PM] <_sj_> and there are other regular events / meetings around campus which would welcome a chance to have some of these people come speak.
[2/4/2006 2:45 PM] -->| delphine (n=Delphine@wikipedia/notafish) has joined #wikimania
[2/4/2006 2:45 PM] <Linuxbeak> -_- I'm sick of bureaucracy
[2/4/2006 2:45 PM] <brassratgirl> hi delphine 
[2/4/2006 2:45 PM] <await> people had originally mentioned that eben and larry could lead a panel
[2/4/2006 2:45 PM] <Linuxbeak> when's the next meeting?
[2/4/2006 2:46 PM] <_sj_> await, I'm not sure why we need to ask jimbo to do that.
[2/4/2006 2:46 PM] <gline> alright, so ideally: tbl, em and ll,
[2/4/2006 2:46 PM] <delphine> hello
[2/4/2006 2:46 PM] <_sj_> it seems reasonable for the person organizing the law theme to send the invitation.
[2/4/2006 2:46 PM] <brassratgirl> I don't think we've set one yet, linuxbeak 
[2/4/2006 2:46 PM] <await> _sj_  - whatever you think is best. :)
[2/4/2006 2:46 PM] <Linuxbeak> alright
[2/4/2006 2:46 PM] <_sj_> hey delphine :)  linux: is this time bad for you?
[2/4/2006 2:46 PM] <Linuxbeak> _sj_: not at all.
[2/4/2006 2:46 PM] <Linuxbeak> Talking about something... and getting it done, would make me happy.
[2/4/2006 2:47 PM] <_sj_> sweet.
[2/4/2006 2:47 PM] <brassratgirl> linuxbeak: probably next weekend for program, soon for general meeting 
[2/4/2006 2:47 PM] <_sj_> speaking of which, have you seen the new main page, linux?
[2/4/2006 2:47 PM] <Linuxbeak> The community at en.wikipedia is being generally sluggish.
[2/4/2006 2:47 PM] <Linuxbeak> _sj_: No. I just came back from a break
[2/4/2006 2:47 PM] <Linuxbeak> (back to bureaucracy <_>)
[2/4/2006 2:47 PM] <brassratgirl> gline: yes 
[2/4/2006 2:47 PM] <_sj_> gline: yes, those are two.
[2/4/2006 2:48 PM] <_sj_> wiki social science : ?
[2/4/2006 2:48 PM] <gline> "linux: is this a bad time for you?" now there's a good quote to take out of context...
[2/4/2006 2:48 PM] <neuralis> :-D
[2/4/2006 2:48 PM] <_sj_> lol
[2/4/2006 2:48 PM] <gline> do you think Steven Pinker could be coaxed into saying something interesting about wiki social science?
[2/4/2006 2:48 PM] <gline> I guess he doesn't have much to do with any of this
[2/4/2006 2:48 PM] <brassratgirl> (none of the social science people are here, which makes me sad) 
[2/4/2006 2:48 PM] <_sj_> and wiki projects and content... those are wide open atm
[2/4/2006 2:48 PM] <gline> but he's an interesting guy...
[2/4/2006 2:49 PM] <_sj_> gline, you know Pinker is my nemesis, right?
[2/4/2006 2:49 PM] <gline> _sj_: I wasn't aware. 
[2/4/2006 2:49 PM] <_sj_> there would be mortal kombat music in the background all the time ;-)
[2/4/2006 2:49 PM] <Linuxbeak> _sj_: When is the request for papers due?
[2/4/2006 2:49 PM] <_sj_> but if he's done relevant work...
[2/4/2006 2:49 PM] <_sj_> Linux: April 15
[2/4/2006 2:50 PM] <Linuxbeak> Just for the abstract?
[2/4/2006 2:50 PM] <neuralis> _sj_: you gave him a blank slate for christmas? ;)
[2/4/2006 2:50 PM] <_sj_> http://wikimania.wikimedia.org/wiki/Call_for_papers
[2/4/2006 2:50 PM] <_sj_> sooner for tutorials.
[2/4/2006 2:50 PM] <gline> _sj_: don't worry. most of his work involves trying to find similarities between twins separated at birth, I think, so he's probably not appropriate anyway 
[2/4/2006 2:50 PM] -->| notafish (n=Delphine@wikipedia/notafish) has joined #wikimania
[2/4/2006 2:50 PM] <_sj_> angela, do you have thoughts on project & content speakers?
[2/4/2006 2:50 PM] <Linuxbeak> _sj_: excellent. I'll get to work right away for a presentation
[2/4/2006 2:51 PM] -->| akl_ (n=chatzill@wikipedia/akl) has joined #wikimania
[2/4/2006 2:51 PM] <_sj_> nightly disconnect?
[2/4/2006 2:51 PM] |<-- akl has left freenode (Nick collision from services.)
[2/4/2006 2:51 PM] =-= akl_ is now known as akl
[2/4/2006 2:52 PM] <notafish> yes, something like that
[2/4/2006 2:52 PM] <_sj_> there are some grand free knowledge speakers from around the world; I'll try to gather some ideas on-wiki.
[2/4/2006 2:52 PM] <_sj_> Achal was full of good suggestions and meta-suggestions.
[2/4/2006 2:54 PM] =-= Dvorty|gone is now known as Dvortygirl
[2/4/2006 2:54 PM] <_sj_> wb dvortygirl :)
[2/4/2006 2:54 PM] <Dvortygirl> Hello
[2/4/2006 2:55 PM] <brassratgirl> a reminder to add yourself to http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimania_2006/Program_Team, if you're interested in reviewing papers, and haven't already 
[2/4/2006 2:55 PM] <_sj_> (including the new art & media theme)
[2/4/2006 2:55 PM] <brassratgirl> And we do need more reviewers for each track, as well 
[2/4/2006 2:55 PM] <_sj_> (which was left off before)
[2/4/2006 2:56 PM] <brassratgirl> So people currently involved with program teams should think about other people who can help out :) 
[2/4/2006 2:56 PM] <b4_> should we add hacking days as an adjunct theme?
[2/4/2006 2:57 PM] * _sj_ looks for jens
[2/4/2006 2:57 PM] <await> I've asked before about overlap with tech. infrastructure 
[2/4/2006 2:57 PM] <await> (and hacking days).... 
[2/4/2006 2:57 PM] <b4_> yeah, i see that in the tech theme
[2/4/2006 2:57 PM] <b4_> we'll have to figure that out as things progress, i suppose
[2/4/2006 2:57 PM] <await> but they are definitely separate.  the theme is part of the conference proper and hacking days is its own event...
[2/4/2006 2:58 PM] <await> sam - did i get that right?
[2/4/2006 2:58 PM] <_sj_> yes
[2/4/2006 2:58 PM] <_sj_> if the hackers want to use the same submission setup, we can add a theme in Indico...
[2/4/2006 2:59 PM] <brassratgirl> _sj_ -- that could be useful 
[2/4/2006 2:59 PM] <brassratgirl> in case someone submits something to hacking days  that belongs in the program, or vice versa 
[2/4/2006 2:59 PM] <await> nods
[2/4/2006 2:59 PM] <b4_> it would be great if discussions that come up during the conference could lead to hacks programmed right away during hacking days
[2/4/2006 3:00 PM] <_sj_> hacking days will come first, however.
[2/4/2006 3:00 PM] <await> toobad. 
[2/4/2006 3:00 PM] <_sj_> it would still be great if good hacks turned into ad-hoc presentations at the conference
[2/4/2006 3:00 PM] <b4_> oh, okay
[2/4/2006 3:00 PM] <await> :)
[2/4/2006 3:01 PM] |<-- delphine has left freenode (Nick collision from services.)
[2/4/2006 3:02 PM] <await> at http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimania_2006/Program_ideas - lessig, moglen and palfrey were listed as a "panel".  And as keynote candidates.  
[2/4/2006 3:02 PM] =-= notafish is now known as delphine
[2/4/2006 3:02 PM] <_sj_> final point : program theme structure
[2/4/2006 3:02 PM] <await> did we want to talk about panel/versus theme ?  
[2/4/2006 3:02 PM] <_sj_> yes, they should be one or the other.
[2/4/2006 3:02 PM] <await> Would it make sense for it to be a conference wide panel? 
[2/4/2006 3:02 PM] <Angela> If Jimmy wants to do a keynote, the project & content theme would probably suit him best.
[2/4/2006 3:02 PM] <brassratgirl> I thought the idea was that they could be a keynote panel 
[2/4/2006 3:03 PM] <brassratgirl> Angela: agreed
[2/4/2006 3:03 PM] <_sj_> ang: <nod>
[2/4/2006 3:03 PM] <await> nods
[2/4/2006 3:03 PM] <_sj_> each theme should have at least one big presentation, and should think about what panels it wants.
[2/4/2006 3:03 PM] <_sj_> good panels make for great sessions; bad ones can be pretty bad.
[2/4/2006 3:04 PM] <await> yeah. 
[2/4/2006 3:04 PM] <await> but how do we decide which panels get a "big room" for everyone.... and which dont... 
[2/4/2006 3:04 PM] <_sj_> we could use a keynote, a panel, and a set of short presentations in each theme.  
[2/4/2006 3:04 PM] <_sj_> Assume for now that no panels will be plenaries
[2/4/2006 3:05 PM] <Angela> I don't think the keynotes should do a keynote *and* be on a panel if that's what was suggested.
[2/4/2006 3:05 PM] <_sj_> ang: right
[2/4/2006 3:05 PM] * neuralis is vaguely here
[2/4/2006 3:05 PM] <_sj_> lessig & moglen were just listed as candidates for both
[2/4/2006 3:05 PM] <await> right - confused about that.
[2/4/2006 3:05 PM] <_sj_> but should only do one or the other
[2/4/2006 3:05 PM] <neuralis> _sj_: planning on lightning talks is a very good idea
[2/4/2006 3:05 PM] <neuralis> _sj_: ideal for hackers to present daily nuggets of coolness, for one
[2/4/2006 3:05 PM] <_sj_> every theme will have lots of people who want to give quick talks
[2/4/2006 3:06 PM] <_sj_> right.
[2/4/2006 3:06 PM] <await> the mix doesn't have to be the same for every theme?  invited talks, lightning talks, submitted talks... 
[2/4/2006 3:06 PM] <brassratgirl> and we'll have to decide within each theme who of the submitters gets a presentation, vs. a poster, vs a lightning talk 
[2/4/2006 3:07 PM] <_sj_> await: to your previous question, we have a couple large rooms we can use; so if you come up with a killer panel idea that you know will attract a couple hundred people, that can be accomodated.
[2/4/2006 3:07 PM] <brassratgirl> while we could use a keynote & a panel & talks in each theme, if that's doesn't happen for every theme I think it will be alright 
[2/4/2006 3:07 PM] <await> exactly.   
[2/4/2006 3:08 PM] <brassratgirl> for lessig/moglen, we should decide if we want them on a panel though 
[2/4/2006 3:08 PM] <await> ok. so to finish with eben and larry.  ... I think they should certainly speak to the whole conference
[2/4/2006 3:09 PM] <brassratgirl> (for invitation purposes) 
[2/4/2006 3:09 PM] <await> right.  it's really important not to hold off on that one. 
[2/4/2006 3:09 PM] <_sj_> We said we'd invite them to speak together.
[2/4/2006 3:09 PM] <_sj_> If one says no, or suggests a substitute, we'll figure out how to respond.
[2/4/2006 3:10 PM] <_sj_> That's really a joint keynote, tho, rather than a normal panel.
[2/4/2006 3:10 PM] <_sj_> other speakers that people want to see:
[2/4/2006 3:10 PM] <await> _sj_ joint keynote sounds good to me. 
[2/4/2006 3:10 PM] <_sj_> send them the cfp and a personal email.
[2/4/2006 3:10 PM] <_sj_> the sooner the better.
[2/4/2006 3:10 PM] <_sj_> invite them to submit an abstract for the conference...
[2/4/2006 3:11 PM] <await> ok. who should do it?
[2/4/2006 3:11 PM] <await> maybe for invited speakers we don't have to hit them over the head with using our submission system etc. ? 
[2/4/2006 3:11 PM] <Angela> Different people can approach different speakers if they already know them, but just make sure to write on the wiki which ones have been contacted so they don't get invited twice.
[2/4/2006 3:12 PM] <_sj_> check the distribution list
[2/4/2006 3:12 PM] <_sj_> there's a brief "how to use this list" at the top...
[2/4/2006 3:12 PM] <brassratgirl> http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimania_2006_Call_for_Participation/Distribution_list
[2/4/2006 3:12 PM] <Angela> there's also the list at http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimania_2006/Program_ideas
[2/4/2006 3:13 PM] <brassratgirl> right -- program ideas is individual speakers
[2/4/2006 3:13 PM] <await> also.  what are we doing for keynotes? are we paying travel expenses etc? 
[2/4/2006 3:13 PM] <brassratgirl> distribution list is list of email lists to send the cfp to 
[2/4/2006 3:13 PM] <brassratgirl> (sorry to be confusing) 
[2/4/2006 3:14 PM] <_sj_> Expenses, yes; no other fees.
[2/4/2006 3:14 PM] <await> well. expenses can be quite a lot but sure. 
[2/4/2006 3:15 PM] <await> do we book for them or do they submit receitps to us?  maybe these details are not important...
[2/4/2006 3:15 PM] <await> i would hate to see a misunderstanding around something like that.   
[2/4/2006 3:16 PM] <_sj_> they are important, though perhaps not for this precise conversation;
[2/4/2006 3:16 PM] <await> nods
[2/4/2006 3:16 PM] <brassratgirl> the last agenda item is the distribution list -- http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimania_2006_Call_for_Participation/Distribution_list
[2/4/2006 3:16 PM] <brassratgirl> making sure we get the cfp out 
[2/4/2006 3:17 PM] <brassratgirl> also, we need to set the next program meeting. 
[2/4/2006 3:18 PM] <_sj_> can we agree to meet very briefly every week this month to keep one another in the loop?  There are a lot of notices and invites to send out.
[2/4/2006 3:19 PM] <await> sounds great to me. 
[2/4/2006 3:19 PM] <brassratgirl> I think we should try & get cfp notices out soon (this week?) so they all arrive at more or less the same time 
[2/4/2006 3:20 PM] <brassratgirl> does that sound good to everyone? 
[2/4/2006 3:20 PM] <await> yes 
[2/4/2006 3:22 PM] <_sj_> yep
[2/4/2006 3:22 PM] <brassratgirl> is this time/day acceptable for program meetings? 
[2/4/2006 3:22 PM] <_sj_> (sorry, doorbell)
[2/4/2006 3:22 PM] <brassratgirl> _sj_: pizza! 
[2/4/2006 3:23 PM] <brassratgirl> later? earlier? 
[2/4/2006 3:23 PM] <_sj_> I'm afraid it may not be, considering the turnout.  do you want to ping those who have signed up for program themes with a followup,
[2/4/2006 3:23 PM] <_sj_> asking just that?
[2/4/2006 3:23 PM] <await> definitely. 
[2/4/2006 3:24 PM] <brassratgirl> yeah, sure
[2/4/2006 3:24 PM] <brassratgirl> (were you volunteering, await?)
[2/4/2006 3:25 PM] <_sj_> austin, jeluf, are you planning to work on hacking days organization? 
[2/4/2006 3:25 PM] <_sj_> (that's an either :)
[2/4/2006 3:25 PM] <await> oh. well sam did you want me to contact eben and larry or did you want me to contact the other people on the legal theme and poke them to contact eben and lessig. or both
[2/4/2006 3:25 PM] |<-- delphine has left freenode ("good night :)")
[2/4/2006 3:25 PM] <_sj_> :(
[2/4/2006 3:26 PM] <Austin> I expect that'll fall under my purview, yeah.
[2/4/2006 3:26 PM] <_sj_> We need someone to take responsibility for each theme
[2/4/2006 3:26 PM] <_sj_> making sure there are enough people organizing it, and sending out invites like this.
[2/4/2006 3:26 PM] <_sj_> await, you should poke the people on the legal theme about it.
[2/4/2006 3:27 PM] <_sj_> but you could help draft the invite if you'd like.
[2/4/2006 3:27 PM] -->| Jerem1 (n=Jeremy@pool-68-163-165-177.bos.east.verizon.net) has joined #wikimania
[2/4/2006 3:27 PM] <brassratgirl> ivan, sasha, did either of you want to take on the tech theme? 
[2/4/2006 3:27 PM] <_sj_> brg: make sure to include jens and austin and mako when you send out the email
[2/4/2006 3:27 PM] <neuralis> brassratgirl: i'll take tech
[2/4/2006 3:27 PM] <await> well. if it comes from me I'd take a sligthly different approach since I just met them both in person... 
[2/4/2006 3:27 PM] <_sj_> re: times, since we also want to coordinate with the hackind days plans.
[2/4/2006 3:28 PM] <_sj_> await: ah, I see
[2/4/2006 3:28 PM] <neuralis> i'll have an announcement to tech-l and such later tonight
[2/4/2006 3:28 PM] <_sj_> await: let's make sure to send an invitation out this week.
[2/4/2006 3:28 PM] <brassratgirl> neuralis: grand 
[2/4/2006 3:28 PM] <_sj_> I'm sure soufron would be glad to send such a letter.
[2/4/2006 3:29 PM] * neuralis needs to jet in 1 minute
[2/4/2006 3:29 PM] <_sj_> later ivan.  thx
[2/4/2006 3:29 PM] <brassratgirl> ok, meeting notes are going up here: http://meta.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?title=Wikimania_2006/Program/2006-02-04
[2/4/2006 3:29 PM] <await> sam - I'll cc you on email to the people on the legal theme. 
[2/4/2006 3:30 PM] <brassratgirl> and I'll send round an email about meeting times 
[2/4/2006 3:30 PM] <await> send it out now.,
[2/4/2006 3:30 PM] <_sj_> await: but if not, or if people are too busy to do it this week, just make sure they know what's up before you send an invite yourself.   obviously an invite from you would be well-received.
[2/4/2006 3:30 PM] <_sj_> brg: grand.
[2/4/2006 3:30 PM] <await> absolutely. i'll send them email first. suggest they invite.  etc. 
[2/4/2006 3:30 PM] <brassratgirl> please please please add your preferred times here: http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimania_2006/Planning#Meetings
[2/4/2006 3:30 PM] <brassratgirl> (for meetings) 
[2/4/2006 3:31 PM] <await> i'd ping you before i did anything. "official". 
[2/4/2006 3:31 PM] <_sj_> crschmidt, around?
[2/4/2006 3:31 PM] <_sj_> gline, do you have time to help forward the cfp tonight?
[2/4/2006 3:32 PM] <await> _sj_ any chance we can get that whitelisting to happen before we distribute widely?
[2/4/2006 3:32 PM] <gline> _sj_ can do a bit later this evening. forward to what sorts of places?
[2/4/2006 3:32 PM] <_sj_> dunno.  austin, can you whitelist pages on the wikimania.wikimedia wiki?
[2/4/2006 3:33 PM] <brassratgirl> gline, here's the starter list: http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimania_2006_Call_for_Participation/Distribution_list
[2/4/2006 3:33 PM] <_sj_> gline: or tech-savvy lists not currently listed on that page
[2/4/2006 3:34 PM] <gline> alright, sure. and an up-to-date copy of the cfp can be found where?
[2/4/2006 3:35 PM] <gline> rather, is there some boilerplate text?
[2/4/2006 3:35 PM] <brassratgirl> use the text of this one: http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimania_2006_Call_for_Participation for distribution
[2/4/2006 3:36 PM] <gline> k
[2/4/2006 3:37 PM] <brassratgirl> (it directs folks to here : http://wikimania.wikimedia.org/wiki/Call_for_papers, which is the official site with submission info) 
[2/4/2006 3:37 PM] <brassratgirl> that is to say, it *now* directs people there -- I just fixed the link :P 
[2/4/2006 3:39 PM] <brassratgirl> hey_ sj_, you said you were posting a short cfp?