Wikicompany is a MediaWiki based, worldwide business directory, licensed under the GNU FDL.
The presentation will explain the basic ideas behind Wikicompany, and show how these ideas are implemented in practice.
- What is the purpose of Wikicompany?
- Potential users
- Information features
- Wikipedia symbiosis and differences
- How can new company profiles be created?
- Free text input (using a substitution template)
- Form-based input (with automatic category creation)
- The different use of the categorization system (compared to Wikipedia)
- What is done to improve readability and usability?
- Some forced structuring of articles and categories is good for consistency
- Consistent information box templates are used everywhere
- A clean extension of the monobook CSS style
- No over-linking in articles
- Years in the "history" section are bolded
- Mozilla firefox search-toolbar plugin
- What is being done to prevent bot-spam?
- No anonymous editing allowed
- Captcha (image verification) for account creations
- Mediawiki anti-spam features
- What are the editing guidelines on Wikicompany?
- Images: logo image constraints, remote image extension
- Blog feed integration in MediaWiki.
- What software is used for this?
- How can new Planets be created?
- How can the Planet feed subscriptions be changed?
- Geo mapping
- Open issues
- Sector category labelling for: manufacturers of X, retailers for X, etc.
- Non-english site creations (category structure synchronization)
- Missing functionality
- Advanced category browsing
- Advanced searching (beyond full-text)
- Topic-based map searching (eg. "show me the airlines of Germany")
- Future functionality
- Conclusion and questions