WikiIndaba conference 2019/Submissions/Closing the Gender Gap across Africa
|This is an Accepted submission for WikiIndaba conference 2019 that has been reviewed by the members of the Program Committee and accepted into the conference program|
- Submission no. 011
- Title of the submission
Closing the Gender Gap across Africa
- Type of submission (lecture, panel, tutorial/workshop, roundtable discussion, lightning talk, birds of a feather discussion)
- Author of the submission
- Language of presentation
Mostly English, but French included depending on language of panelists
- E-mail address
- Country of origin
South Africa / Zimbabwe
- Affiliation, if any (organisation, company etc.)
WikiAfrica / Wiki In Africa
- Personal homepage or blog
- Abstract (up to 300 words to describe your proposal)
Since 2016 there have been increasingly more initiatives across Africa to close the gender gap. These have taken place both online and offline in events that were part of continent-wide projects or local strategic interventions. The work is not over, and the roundtable allows for people involved in Wiki Loves Women, WikiGap, HerStory and other gender-focused activations to share their various practices and the context in which they work, and discuss the successes and the frustrations that they continue to encounter.
Roundtable members include;
Islahaddow (discussion lead;)
- Anthere, discussion lead (Wiki Loves Women continental + Les sans pagEs Mediterranée)
- Erina Mukuta (Wiki Loves Women Uganda)
- Dominique Yao (WikiMousso)
- Maryam Mgonjah (Wiki Loves Women Tanzania)
- Georges Fodouop (Wiki Loves Women Cameroon)
- What will attendees take away from this session?
- project: a better understanding of dynamics involved in tackling gender-based projects across Africa
- skills: ideas about how to duplicate elements from each of the projects
- insight: importance that volunteer groups are building gender-sensitive members from the start
- Theme of presentation
- WikiCulture & Community
- For workshops and discussions, what level is the intended audience?
- Length of session (if other than 25 minutes, specify how long)
- 25 minutes
50 mins (it is a roundtable with several projects being discussed. It will need time for these to introduce their project, as well as for the discuss the collective elements)
- Will you attend WikiIndaba if your submission is not accepted?
- Slides or further information (optional)
- Special requests
rather not present on Sunday
- Is this Submission a Draft or Final?
If you are interested in attending this session, please sign with your username below. This will help reviewers to decide which sessions are of high interest. Sign with a hash and four tildes. (# ~~~~).
- --Saintfevrier (talk) 20:13, 8 October 2018 (UTC)
- Mounir Touzri (talk) 14:27, 13 October 2018 (UTC)
- Jadnapac (talk) 20:28, 31 October 2019 (UTC)