WikiIndaba conference 2018/Submissions/Wikipedia + Libraries in Africa
|This is a Closed submission for WikiIndaba conference 2018 that has already been reviewed by the members of the Program Committee.|
- Submission no. 061
- Title of the submission
- Wikipedia + Libraries in Africa
- Type of submission (lecture, panel, tutorial/workshop, roundtable discussion, lightning talk, birds of a feather discussion)
- birds of a feather discussion
- Author of the submission
- Language of presentation
- E-mail address
- Country of origin
- Affiliation, if any (organisation, company etc.)
- Wikipedia Library User Group
- Personal homepage or blog
- Abstract (up to 300 words to describe your proposal)
For the last decade, Wikipedians have worked to reach out to librarians as well as serve our community of editors with reference and research support. The fusion of Wikipedia and Libraries has gathered momentum in the movement with great initiatives like The Wikipedia Library, the Catalan Public Library Network, and the IFLA white papers on Wikipedia and Library Collaboration. While there seem to be wider interests in the larger movement Africa seems to be sitting on the fence and there is a need to start a discourse on the subject to gather the needs or major hurdles from this part of the continent.
- What will attendees take away from this session?
This session is a chance to meet community leaders who work with libraries, form partnerships with publishers, host events at library institutions, conduct outreach to national organizations or regional and international groups and consortia. It is open to all levels of interest. A special focus will be finding ways to direct the momentum in the library world as it increasingly opens its doors (and resources) to Wikipedia. Participants will learn how to get involved in their community, how to join the international efforts, and how to take their projects from brainstorming to impact.
- Theme of presentation
- For workshops and discussions, what level is the intended audience?
- Length of session (if other than 25 minutes, specify how long)
- 30 minutes
- Will you attend WikiIndaba if your submission is not accepted?
- Slides or further information (optional)
- Special requests
- Is this Submission a Draft or Final?
If you are interested in attending this session, please sign with your username below. This will help reviewers to decide which sessions are of high interest. Sign with a hash and four tildes. (# ~~~~).