WikiIndaba conference 2018/Submissions/Wikidata for cultural heritage
|This is a Closed submission for WikiIndaba conference 2018 that has already been reviewed by the members of the Program Committee.|
- Submission no. 030
- Title of the submission
- Wikidata for cultural heritage
- Type of submission (lecture, panel, tutorial/workshop, roundtable discussion, lightning talk, birds of a feather discussion)
- Author of the submission
- Maarten Dammers
- Language of presentation
- E-mail address
- Country of origin
- Affiliation, if any (organisation, company etc.)
- Personal homepage or blog
- Abstract (up to 300 words to describe your proposal)
Imagine a world in which every single human being can freely share in the sum of all knowledge. That's our mission statement. Back in 2014 started the wikiproject Sum of all paintings to get all notable paintings on Wikidata. Wikidata makes it much easier and scalable to document our cultural heritage. With the Sum of all paintings we're trying that in practice by trying to get all notable paintings on Wikidata. In this presentation I'll introduce the project and how it evolved. Not only the number of paintings has grown to more than 200.000 items, but the project has also grown in other ways. I will share some lessons learned and some (unsolved) challenges we face.
The Sum of all paintings has a clear scope to focus effort and to work on a well defined domain. This is just the start, our experience and lessons learned in this project can be applied much broader. Other forms of art or even broader can be the next step. I'll highlight some other projects, like the effort to create all the items for Wiki Loves Monuments and Flemish art collections, Wikidata and Linked Open Data that work(ed) on mass adding works of art to Wikidata.
We still have large gaps. Let's get all our cultural heritage on Wikidata.
- What will attendees take away from this session?
An introduction and update of the Sum of all paintings and related projects to document (local) cultural heritage on Wikidata
- Theme of presentation
- For workshops and discussions, what level is the intended audience?
- Length of session (if other than 25 minutes, specify how long)
- 25 minutes
- Will you attend WikiIndaba if your submission is not accepted?
- Probably not
- Slides or further information (optional)
Some similar presentations I gave last year:
- File:Zugang Gestalten 2017 Wikidata for GLAMs with notes.pdf
- File:Sum of all paintings is just the start Wikimania 2017 notes.pdf
- File:Sum of all paintings WikiConference North America 2017.pdf
- Special requests
Probably best on first day because it's to introduce and inspire people
- Is this Submission a Draft or Final?
If you are interested in attending this session, please sign with your username below. This will help reviewers to decide which sessions are of high interest. Sign with a hash and four tildes. (# ~~~~).
Reason: To be merged with 001.