WikiIndaba conference 2018/Submissions/Teaching citizenship values and employability skills through Wikipedia (Case study)
|This is a Closed submission for WikiIndaba conference 2018 that has already been reviewed by the members of the Program Committee.|
- Submission no. 028
- Title of the submission
- Teaching citizenship values and employability skills through Wikipedia (Case study)
- Type of submission (lecture, panel, tutorial/workshop, roundtable discussion, lightning talk, birds of a feather discussion)
- Author of the submission
- Samuel Guebo
- Language of presentation
- E-mail address
- African Hope
- Country of origin
- Côte d'Ivoire
- Affiliation, if any (organisation, company etc.)
- Wikimedia Community User Group Côte d'Ivoire (WCUG-CI)
- Personal homepage or blog
- Abstract (up to 300 words to describe your proposal)
Over the latest 12 months, an experiment with three groups of higher education students in Côte d’Ivoire showed some fruitful results among a young audience. “Wikipedia classes”, a twelve-week learning program teaching students how to use Wikipedia efficiently, was launched in Abidjan, Côte d’Ivoire. Because editing Wikipedia—the encyclopedia accessed by more than 20 million online users hourly —has its own requirements such as courtesy, verifiability and notability, learners have acquired a wide array of abilities ranging from intangible citizenship values to practical modern skills.
- What will attendees take away from this session?
At the end of the session participants should have a practical and replicable example of Education programme that teaches Wikipedia as well as citizenship values and modern skills.
- Theme of presentation
- For workshops and discussions, what level is the intended audience?
- Length of session (if other than 25 minutes, specify how long)
- 25 minutes
- Will you attend WikiIndaba if your submission is not accepted?
- Slides or further information (optional)
- Special requests
- Is this Submission a Draft or Final?
If you are interested in attending this session, please sign with your username below. This will help reviewers to decide which sessions are of high interest. Sign with a hash and four tildes. (# ~~~~).