WikiIndaba conference 2018/Submissions/Digital literacy and 21st century skills through education programs
|This is a Closed submission for WikiIndaba conference 2018 that has already been reviewed by the members of the Program Committee.|
- Submission no. 010
- Title of the submission
- Digital Literacy and 21st Century Skills
- Type of submission (lecture, panel, tutorial/workshop, roundtable discussion, lightning talk, birds of a feather discussion)
- Presentation with Q&A
- Author of the submission
- Tighe Flanagan, Wikipedia Education Program team at the Wikimedia Foundation
- Language of presentation
- English (could prepare bilingual French/English slides in advance if helpful)
- E-mail address
- Country of origin
- Affiliation, if any (organisation, company etc.)
- Wikimedia Foundation
- Personal homepage or blog
- Abstract (up to 300 words to describe your proposal)
- Digital literacy and other 21st century skills are key to students being successful learners at school and university, good candidates for a growing number of jobs, and good local and international citizens. Participants in Wikipedia Education Program activities have the ability to develop or build these skills with practical experience learning about our projects and making contributions to open knowledge. Teachers and program leaders who implement and support these programs also gain valuable skills that can serve them in the Wikimedia world and in their professional or private capacities. I would like to explore how a focus on student learning and education standards can have a strong mutual benefit for participants in education activities and initiatives, and explore how more of these types of activities can be supported in the region. I would also like to showcase what people have done or are already doing, look at some successes and also identify the practical challenges of running a quality program.
- What will attendees take away from this session?
- Participants will understand the value of educational partnerships and be able to evaluate if that type of outreach activity is a worthwhile investment for them to make in their local communities. Participants will also have some basic models they can adapt to implement in future, with support of colleagues in the movement and educaiton program staff and resources.
- Theme of presentation
- For workshops and discussions, what level is the intended audience?
- This could either be a presentation, a panel showcasing regional programs, or a workshop to develop a program plan. Depends on the potential audience and the space/time available.
- Length of session (if other than 25 minutes, specify how long)
- 25 minutes for a presentation, 1 hour for a workshop
- Will you attend WikiIndaba if your submission is not accepted?
- I hope so!
- Slides or further information (optional)
- Special requests
- Is this Submission a Draft or Final? Final
If you are interested in attending this session, please sign with your username below. This will help reviewers to decide which sessions are of high interest. Sign with a hash and four tildes. (# ~~~~).