WikiIndaba conference 2018/Submissions/An easy way to teach new editors
|This is a Closed submission for WikiIndaba conference 2018 that has already been reviewed by the members of the Program Committee.|
- Submission no. 055
- Title of the submission
- An easy way to teach new editors
- Type of submission (lecture, panel, tutorial/workshop, roundtable discussion, lightning talk, birds of a feather discussion)
- Author of the submission
- Gereon Kalkuhl
- Language of presentation
- E-mail address
- Gereon K.
- Country of origin
- Affiliation, if any (organisation, company etc.)
- Personal homepage or blog
- Abstract (up to 300 words to describe your proposal)
Schooling new users is necessary and there are many projects in different surroundings such as schools, universities, museums or, for the general public, libraries. A problem with that is that schoolings often are not basic enough. They are too technical, too demanding of attendants who don’t have a technical or internet publishing background and so don’t let them continue contribution when the schooling is over.
I would like to show a framework for schoolings that starts at the basics, stressing how important it is to start from scratch, even for attendants of workshops that have some Wiki experience. Most readers who use Wikipedia as a source of knowledge often have not looked beyond the articles. Show them that every page has a talk page and how it can be used. Show that every user can and should be contacted. Show how to read the contribution history. Show how important it is to explain the Five Pillars, how to explain hive mind in a very simple way, how to explain the reliability of Wikimedia projects.
At the same time there are many different Wikimedia projects, but even experienced users don’t know them all. There is something for every interest. When introducing these projects there is a high likelihood that an attendant of a schooling will find a project hat she or he is really interested in. This includes talking about Wikidata, Commons, Wiktionary, Wikisource, Wikibooks, Wikispecies, Wikinews, Wikiversity, Wikivoyage and many other Wikimedia projects.
- What will attendees take away from this session?
- Theme of presentation
- For workshops and discussions, what level is the intended audience?
- Length of session (if other than 25 minutes, specify how long)
- 25 minutes
- Will you attend WikiIndaba if your submission is not accepted?
- Slides or further information (optional)
- Special requests
- Is this Submission a Draft or Final? final
If you are interested in attending this session, please sign with your username below. This will help reviewers to decide which sessions are of high interest. Sign with a hash and four tildes. (# ~~~~).