WikiGender Meeting: On Gender Gap in WikipediaEdit
Versión en español en (Spanish Version) WikiGéneroEdit
- When? May 26th, 2012. 9 to 17hs.
- Where? Buenos Aires, Argentina. Ricardo Rojas Cultural Center. University of Buenos Aires. Centro cultural Rojas. UBA.
- Open and free entrance
- Contact us:
Raising awareness on the Gender gap in WikipediaEdit
Next Saturday May 26th 2012, Wikimedia Argentina invites you to participate in the event WikiGénero (WikiGender), a meeting specially designed to think and analyse gender gaps in projects like Wikipedia.
Recent researches with Wikipedia editors point out that only 9% of contributors are women. This data means a worrying gender gap in projects.
This event has two main goals:
- On one hand, to inform, raise awareness and discuss possible actions inside the community of Wikipedians, both Argentinean and global, as we count with the attendance of women from many countries, participating of WikiWomenCamp, a previous event working in a similar line.
- On the other hand, WikiGénero proposes this meeting as a starting point for future joint initiatives with women organisations, especially those related to topics such as communication, media, and technology, in order to receive their insights on the issue and to think about joint actions.
WikiGénero seeks to open a space for dialogue, allowing the analysis of causes of these gaps, and also think about strategies for widening the participation of women in the projects. Why do we have such a big gender gap in the projects? Which impact has in the contents of Wikipedia? Is it coherent with other gaps in the field of IT? Which are the main barriers for women to participate in Wikipedia? Which would be the best strategies for making visible and positively act to address these gaps?
This event will be a gathering between researchers, academics, activists from gender organisations and contributors to the projects of Wikimedia, among them we can remark the participation of Sue Gardner, Executive Director Wikimedia Foundation; Anuradha Uduwage, researcher of Group Lens, responsible team of one of the most detailed studies on gender gap in Wikipedia; Diana Maffía, feminist philosopher, and also several members of community of Wikimedia in Argentina and the region as well gender activists from our country.
More information on the event and some introduction to the topics (most in Spanish) could be found at :
- Widening women participation in Wikimedia projects, according strategic objective for 2015 of WMF.
- analyse local context
- articulate with organizations working in gender subjects
Preliminar Program (subject to confirmation)Edit
- 09:00 hs: Welcoming from Wikimedia Argentina
- 09:15 hs: Opening keynote by Anuradha Uduwage Group Lens Team Universidad de Minnessota (USA)
- 10:00 hs: Keynote by Diana Maffía on Science, technology and gender
- 11:00 hs: Talk on gender perspective from Wikimedia-ar by Lila Pagola / Beatriz Busaniche
- 11:30 hs: Report of WikiWomenCamp, by Anne Goldenberg
- 12:00 hs: Round table. Women wikipedian, journalist and activists of organizations of civil society working on gender subjects (Anuradha Uduwage, Diana Maffía, Anne Goldenberg, Lila o Bea, RIMA) Questions: Paula Carri (participants to confirm)
- 14:00hs: Keynote by Sue Gardner (Executive Director of Wikimedia Foundation)
- 15:00hs: Talk by Mariana Casas, on LGBT perspective
- 15:30hs: Talk by WWC
- 16:00hs: Closing table and document for sharing: Anabella Benedetti (Cátedra Regional UNESCO Mujer, ciencia y tecnología en América Latina), Sue Gardner, Mariana Casas. Questions: Paula Viturro o WM-ar (to confirm)
- 17:00hs: Closing the event and acknowledgments
Key Concepts clave and know issuesEdit
Translation to English coming soon.
- Socialización de género, y el vínculo con la tecnología en las niñas
- Por ejemplo: ¿sabemos si hay usos diferenciados de Wikipedia entre varones y chicas, por ejemplo, en la escuela?
- brecha digital de género (indicadores). Conocemos el 9% global, pero no conocemos (o sí?) el porcentaje en español.
- Segunda brecha digital
- Factor Athena
- Matemáticas y mujeres: relación desempeño-igualdad de género en el contexto cultural
- Techo de cristal digital (o como en las posiciones de toma de decisiones la BDG se agudiza)
- Espacio seguro
- Discriminación positiva
Reading materials (most in Spanish)Edit
More resources from Gender Gap en Meta
- Unlocking the Clubhouse: Five ways to encourage women to edit Wikipedia, Sue Gardner's Blog, November 14, 2010.
- Gender Gap? Look Up Wikipedia’s Contributor List, Noam Cohen in the New York Times, January 30, 2011.
- Where Are the Women in Wikipedia? Debate with a number of debaters, New York Times, February 2, 2011.
- Wikipedia(EN) Signpost Issue on Gender Gap, February 7, 2011.
- Top 10 Reasons to Encourage more Women Participation in Wikipedia February 8, 2011.
- Nine Reasons Women Don’t Edit Wikipedia (in their own words), Sue Gardner's Blog, February 19, 2011.
- Gender Gap Manifesto
Studies with statisticsEdit