Wikimedia monthly activities meetings/Quarterly reviews/Community Engagement, January 2016

Notes from the Quarterly Review meeting with the Wikimedia Foundation's Community Engagement department, January 19, 2016, 8:45 - 9:45 AM PT.

Please keep in mind that these minutes are mostly a rough paraphrase of what was said at the meeting, rather than a source of authoritative information. Consider referring to the presentation slides, blog posts, press releases and other official material

Presentation slides from the meeting

IntroductionEdit

Slide 1
 
Slide 1

Community AdvocacyEdit

Slide 2
 
Slide 2
  • KPI link to graph
  • include links to volume next time
Slide 3
 
Slide 3
  • January 29th target for next steps
    • Release of data sets and start next round of consultations
    • Aggregate of what people have been suggesting
  • Working on global policy
    • Addressing potential challenges, including need for board support
  • Monitoring developer code of conduct
    • Questions regarding who has authority to enforce
  • Still on track to make recommendations by end of Q4
Slide 4
 
Slide 4
  • Deprioritized due to existing policy and complexity around international legal issues
    • Exploring possibility of international Legal interns
  • Has not yet been rescheduled
  • Good goal, but going to require more resources than currently available
  • Current policy works well given current resources
Slide 5
 
Slide 5
  • Next steps are technical requires Engineering
  • Meeting with Wes to discuss Engineering resources
Slide 6
 
Slide 6
  • Further development in Hubs as PC&L and Comms are also developing hubs
  • Looking to merge into other Hubs
  • Possible in Q3 depending on strategy and other Hubs
  • Lila: Let me know what may be needed to support this goal
Slide 7
 
Slide 7
Slide 8
 
Slide 8
  • Lila: Should work on strategy for community events - even when people are giving presentation or talking points - we need to be intentional
Slide 9
 
Slide 9
  • Not public slide as it shares the reason for global ban

Community LiaisonsEdit

Slide 10
 
Slide 10
  • Merging with Dev Relations
  • Suggestion for KPIs: move to model where response time (initial response, action) are tracked
  • Hard to measure response on Talk pages - working on implementation - but may be able to do on phabricator
Slide 11
 
Slide 11
  • Meeting with Wes and Katherine to discuss signoff and next steps on Principles (are available on-wiki)
  • Suggestion that we be consider how this interacts with previous promises about product development
  • Continuing to work on Toolkit
Slide 12
 
Slide 12
  • es.wp and nl.wp were not a part of plan - but conversations held
    • ew.wp decided to turn on
    • nl.wp blockers remain - but conversation going
  • Lila: I shifted focus - so reason for red
  • Single edit tab nearly ready for deployment
  • Mixed reactions from community on single edit tab
Slide 13
 
Slide 13
  • Lesson learned: If not getting ideal candidates, consider shifting priorities to get more applicable results
  • Is red because deadline was missed by a couple of weeks
Slide 14
 
Slide 14
Slide 15
 
Slide 15
  • Attempt to revivie IRC office hours got low engagement
  • Looking at alternative methods
Slide 16
 
Slide 16
Slide 17
 
Slide 17

Developer RelationsEdit

Slide 18
 
Slide 18
  • Will be adding KPIs - not yet available
  • Will be merging with CL
Slide 19
 
Slide 19
  • Red because non-WMF participation did not meet goal
  • Otherwise very successful
    • Survey results confirm
Slide 20
 
Slide 20
  • Goal missed to wait until DevSummit conversations
  • Metrics used could possibly be used for team KPIs
Slide 21
 
Slide 21
Slide 22
 
Slide 22
  • Still taking time to get consensus and final plan
  • Progressing at good pace
  • Luis: I asked for delay to make sure outside expertise was brought in to help strengthen outcome
  • On the right track
Slide 23
 
Slide 23
  • Volunteer successfully empowered to take lead on this task
  • Outreachy continues to be helpful method for volunteer and staff recruitment
Slide 24
 
Slide 24
Slide 25
 
Slide 25
  • More information will be available in next QR
  • Already surpassed previous year - which was considered a success
  • Luis: This has been shown to help increase involvement of women developers

Programs Capacity & LearningEdit

Slide 26
 
Slide 26
  • Integration of three teams and addition of GLAM support and affiliate resources
  • Team review of KPI was done early
  • KPIs expected to evolve
Slide 27
 
Slide 27
  • Shows integration of existing three teams (WP Library, Ed Program, L&E)
  • Completed integration of staff involvement in Affiliate Partnerships
  • Completed a series of community conversations
Slide 28
 
Slide 28
  • Learned that infrastructure needs are key
  • Grants process showed pain point for volunteers is capturing metrics
  • Worked with analytics group on improved process
Slide 29
 
Slide 29
  • Shows improvements made to reporting metrics
  • Next step is showing infrastructure improvements to grant recipients
Slide 30
 
Slide 30
  • Library team continued their work
  • Tied into WP15 activities
  • Mapped out model across programs
  • Discovery of hubs deing developed by other teams
    • Work on integrating potential hubs together
    • Lila: This remains a pain point for myself - not being sure where to send people
  • Data Collection Campaign
    • Lila: There is a lot of data - looking for unifying success point
      • Looking to build a Programs and Events Dashboard to show cross data points
Slide 31
 
Slide 31
  • Looking into ways to recruit community leaders/peer faculty to mentor in their communities
    • Working around WikiCon and Wikimania
  • Lila: Laying important foundation - how do we better align across affiliates and governance bodies - need strategy for aligning
  • Lila: Would be interested in participating in regular meeting with affiliate leaders (EDs?) to discuss cross-movement progress and activities
Slide 32
 
Slide 32
  • Hub concept developing as a one-stop shop for all dept's resources
    • Overall hub framework is a goal for Q3
Slide 33
 
Slide 33
  • More to come in the future on workflows
  • Luis: Rosemary has done a great job balancing competing activities
  • Lila: Great work on clarifying things - challenge will be focus (as it is for everyone)

Community ResourcesEdit

Slide 34
 
Slide 34
  • Focused on hub and workflows
  • Global South shifting to "Emerging Communities"
Slide 35
 
Slide 35
  • This is first move into grants for many of the affiliates involved
Slide 36
 
Slide 36
  • Community Capacity Development being led by Asaf
  • Expected to get back on track this quarter
Slide 37
 
Slide 37
  • Focusing on local community set capacity needs
  • Lila: How did we pick these?
    • Based on high potential communities with an interest
    • Portuguese has been exciting as past efforts have received less community interest
  • Luis: This is how we are going to increase engagement in some of these focus areas
Slide 38
 
Slide 38
  • Consultation on Wikimania is ongoing and generally on track
  • Looking into ways to properly staff resources
Slide 39
 
Slide 39
Slide 40
 
Slide 40
  • Still seeing benefits from Inspire
  • Luis: We have better support than before - but still room to grow
  • Lila: Should we start proposing focus areas?
    • We are looking at topics for future campaigns - thinking about multimedia, APIs, Maps, etc.
Slide 41
 
Slide 41

Closing thoughtsEdit

  • On-wiki consultations continue to be a growing success
  • Hubs are becoming a unified thing
  • Wikimania consultation off to a good start
  • Core work well maintained

AppendixEdit