WMDE Technical Wishes/Finding and inserting templates
This page documents the development progress of and discussions about the project Finding and inserting templates from the focus area "Make working with templates easier". You can find general information about that area and how we chose the projects in that area on this page.
|Finding and inserting templates|
|Status||Deployed to first group of wikis|
|Phabricator||phab:T271802, phab:T272354, phab:T272355|
|Responsible||Technical Wishes Team|
We welcome comments and questions about this project on the discussion page.
In on-wiki research and user interviews, we found that many editors encounter one big hurdle: when adding a template in VisualEditor, it’s complicated and difficult to find a template that best fits your needs. This highlights two specific problems:
1. When using template search, you already have to know which template to look for. That’s because the search is currently a prefix search: it searches through template names by their first letters and doesn’t match parts of the whole name. If you search for "dog", then a template named "Infobox Dog" will not show up in your search results. A common workaround for this limitation is to find a similar page to see which templates are used there.
2. Once you have selected a template from the search, for example, to get a preview of its appearance before deciding to add it, it’s not easy to change it. If you decide to use a different template, you can’t just return to the search; you have to fully close the “add/insert template” dialog and restart the process from the beginning. There’s also no warning that all of your changes will be lost.
|NEW search in the 2010 WikiEditor||VisualEditor and 2017 wikitext editor||2010 WikiEditor (TemplateWizard)|
The following changes have been implemented for both dialogs, “Add a template” (VisualEditor and 2017 wikitext editor) and “Insert a template” (Template Wizard in 2010 wikitext editor).
To make it easier to find relevant templates, even if you’re not sure of an exact title:
- The search will search the whole template name, not just the beginning, as well as the template documentation page(s).
- In search results, the parts of a template name that don’t include the search term will be bolded, highlighting the differences between the results.
- The search result that exactly matches the name of a template is displayed in first place - unless it has already been found by Cirrus Search and thus already appears in the top search results anyway.
The following changes have been implemented for the “Add a template” dialog in VisualEditor. To help you explore templates and find the right one for your intended use, it's now easier to go back to the search and select a new one:
- After you select a template from the search results, the “close” button turns into a “back” button.
- If you click the back button after entering data into the selected template, you’ll see a warning about losing your entered data.
Status and next stepsEdit
- Done: July 12, 2021: Deployment on German, Greek, Malay, Twi, French, Hungarian, Turkish, Hebrew and Finnish Wikipedia and on English Wikivoyage and Nauruan Wiktionary
- We have requested feedback on these wikis whether subpages of templates should be ignored in the search and we are currently evaluating it.