Date and timeEdit
We'll meet for a pan-USA Wikimedia local activists chat on Monday October 8 at 6:00 PM Pacific / 9:00 PM Eastern.
Zoom videoconference informationEdit
Getting set up with ZoomEdit
- We will use a meeting tool called Zoom instead of Google Hangouts. Please sign up for an account on www.zoom.us and then take a look at https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/201362033-Getting-Started-on-PC-and-Mac
- Note that Zoom provides a telephone interface and that the Zoom software applications are proprietary; use the telephone interface if you care about your freedom.
How to join the meetingEdit
Join from PC, Mac, Linux, iOS, Chromebook or Android:
iPhone one-tap :
- US: +16468769923,,304548503# or +16699006833,,304548503#
- Dial from the US: +1 646 876 9923 or +1 669 900 6833 or +1 408 638 0968
- Meeting ID: 304 548 503
- International numbers available: https://zoom.us/u/abewVegmRb
Chair & secretary for this monthEdit
- Meeting host for Zoom: Pharos
- Meeting chair: TBD
- Meeting secretary for minutes: TBD
- Richard Knipel
- Lane Rasberry
- Cliff Anderson
- Rosie Stevenson Goodnight
- Paula Marmor
- Peter Meyer
- Jackie Koerner
- Kevin Payravi
- Andrew Lih
- Ganesh Krishnamurty
- Peter Meyer
- Julie Farman
- Wayne Calhoon
- Lodewijk - Effeietsanders
Brief updates -
- Cliff - update from Vanderbuilt and Tennessee - planning Open Access Week event for third week of October: https://events.vanderbilt.edu/index.php?eID=124318 Accepted to present at Wiki Con NA on Wikidata in the classroom!
- Jackie -first meeting in a while in St. Louis! Trying to get together on second Thursday of every month. Accepted in Wiki Con NA to present about bias in English Wikipedia and "Wiki Loves your community" which is like Wiki Loves Monuments but for small towns
- Kevin - busy organizing Wiki Conference North America and Wiki Loves Monuments North America
- Ganesh - Georgia Piedmont Wikipedians - just had a recent area meetup including a few new folks. Just established a Facebook group for Wiki people in Georgia
- Andrew - WikiConference NA is still seeking volunteers to help organize! Please contact Kevin or Richard for details. Seeking partnerships with GLAM organizations to present
- Peter- no update!
- Pine - main news is attempting to develop grant request and seeking a response https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Grants:Project/Rapid/Pine/Continuation_of_educational_video_and_website_project
- Paula - scheduled a Wiknic in Los Angeles for September 30. This is the first major event since the approval of the Los Angeles usergroup. Seeking someone to assist with Wikidata presentation at USC and wants someone who can show queries, Mix n Match, and other tools.
- Laura - University of New Mexico - planning Wiki Loves Monuments event and trying to establish a user group and regular meetings
- Lane - excited about WikiConference North America
- Rosie - living in California, helping to organize WikiConference NA, presenting on Women Leadership at that event
- richard - Annual meeting and botanic editathon and photo contest
- Julie - Wiknic and Wikipedia Day
- Lodewijk - from international Wiki Loves Monuments committee and dropping in to congratulate United States people on organizing good participation
- Peaceray - Seattle is beginning a new meetup series starting tomorrow
0:00-0:15 - "One minute updates" from each chapter and user group.
- Job posting for Wikimedian in Residence at Stanford - https://careersearch.stanford.edu/jobs/wikimedian-in-residence-3711
- WikiConference North America update
- Kevin says that the schedule is posted and that scholarships have gone out. Anyone who has not gotten a notice has been waitlisted.
- Registration for the conference will open this week. Scholarship recipients get in for free, small cost to others
- question - can anyone still post sessions? reply - not for the schedule, but there will be unconference session time decided at the conference
- Ganesh reported that Emory University is hiring a part-time Wikipedian in Residence for 10 hours / week, https://guides.main.library.emory.edu/c.php?g=850299&p=6138357
- Midwest focus - how can we better support larger region?
- Bay Area WikiSalon - Wayne
- Rapid Grants ideas, 1st-15th of every month
- long delays - 4-6 week turnaround time when 2 weeks is promised
- Geonotice and Centralnotice updates
- previously any admin could do it, now there is a new userright for managing these notices and everyone has to request.
- Also there is a work queue for developing the CentralNotice, which currently has the drawback of targeting entire countries. Targeting the entire country does not make sense in the United States so regional targeting would be helpful.
- Wikidata birthday in October
- 6th birthday, have a wiki party
- Wiki Loves Monuments in September
- United States is #10 by participants
sort of related, see this new graphic just released - https://stats.wikimedia.org/wikimedia/participation/d3_participation_global.html if anyone wants to coordinate outreach by state, then previous iterations of this event have compiled and sorted participants lists by state
- Regularizing inter-chapter/usergroup support
- Next call - rotating hosts perhaps
- regularly on second Monday of month
- next time would be Columbus Day - is that a problem? It seems not!
- next call's focus will be WikiConference NA