Welcome to the WMF etherpad installation. Please keep in mind all current as well as past content in any pad is public. Removing content from a pad does not mean it is deleted. Keep in mind as well that there is no guarantee that a pad's contents will always be available. A pad may be corrupted, deleted or similar. Please keep a copy of important data somewhere else as well
This is a rolling set of notes for meetings of WALRUS, which are Wikimedians Active in Local Regions of the United States. See more information about this coalition and meetings at
Anyone attending a WALRUS meeting may add notes here. These notes are for ease of use, and after the meeting, transfer them to Meta-Wiki for archiving and ease of access in a Wikimedia project. Prior to December 2018 every meeting had separate notes. From December 2018, all notes go here in this one notepad, with one consistent link, which anyone can reuse for every meeting.
Anyone can add agenda items! The meeting chair confirms and orders the agenda at the start of the meeting.
Monday December 10, 2018
Topic: WALRUS December 2018
Time: Dec 10, 2018 9:00 PM Eastern Time (US and Canada)
How to join
Join Zoom Meeting
One tap mobile
+16468769923,,508383183# US (New York)
+16699006833,,508383183# US (San Jose)
Dial by your location
+1 646 876 9923 US (New York)
+1 669 900 6833 US (San Jose)
+1 408 638 0968 US (San Jose)
Meeting ID: 508 383 183
Find your local number: https://zoom.us/u/acBTyahAQ2
Ganesh - Meeting chair with Georgia Piedmont Wikimedians
Richard Knipel Pharos
Wayne Calhoon - Checkingfax
Slides - https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/11vKo-3y0DNOwSqEH46ZTtZUs4zh1ycKlm2Fz1CsO9oI/edit
- User group updates
- Future of WikiConference North America - Fuzheado / Rosiestep
- Wikipedia Day / Public Domain Day - Bluerasberry
- Wikimedia Summit 2019 Berlin registration open - Rosiestep
- See which organizations in the United States are eligible at Wikimedia Summit 2019/Eligibility Criteria -
- Wikipedia Asian Month report from November - Superhamster
- WikiCite in SF recently - Rosie, Rob, Lane, Andrew, et al.
- Wikidata demo (time permitting) - Fuzheado - https://tools.wmflabs.org/tabernacle/#/tab
- Wikidata conference
- Community Wishlist
- Wikimedia Strategy
- Rotating presidency of usergroups for WALRUS calls - TBD
- When will WikiConNA2018 disburse funds for podio submitted scholarship invoices? Thank you, Wayne Calhoon
- Add your agenda items!
- Cascadia Wikimedians annual meeting Saturday, December 29, 1pm PST; Washington Historical Society planning a March 2019 Women's Suffrage Editathon and Jacob Lawrence Gallery institutional contacts. Potential for low key Wikipedia Day.
- RightCowLeftCoast reports for San Diego Wikimedia User Group: have photos to upload from a recent event. Has future events coming.
- Kirill reports for WMDC: had a quiet December but ramping back up. Has new partners including Baltimore Museum of Industry, National Gallery of Art, and others. Have been working on finances of Wiki Conference North America and will probably wrap up soon.
- Marianne from Nashville and Greater Tennessee: Cliff Anderson and Marianne are working on an event for a book festival for Greater Nashville and Greater Tenesee. Had successful Asian Month, and looking forward to Art and Feminism.
- Ganesh from Georgia: had small meet up with 3 meetup. Got a rapid grant.
- Janic from Minnesota: talking about having an event for Wikipedia Day, working on times. Planning on Art and Feminism event for March 9.
- Jackie from Missouri: is working on user group. Has planned first training for a group with the Wikipedia Day celebration.
- WMNYC: pursuing different editathons. Working Cold Spring Harbor and Fordham University with a dedicated group. Planning a big conference for Wikipedia Day.
- Stephen LaPorte joining from Bay Area group to join Allison from Tech Law and Policy at the WMF for Public Domain Day presentation
- Los Angeles: started to work on Wikipedia Day. APLA edit-a-thon but have no details at this time.
- Bluerasberry: looking forward to Wikipedia Day and Public Domain Day in Virginia
- Pine advancing on his Wikimedia tutorial project and rapid grant which is under review by WMF grants officers. Anticipates approval before the end of the month.
Wikiconference North America planning
* No funding from WMF until Spring 2020
* Options for 2019: co-locate with another conference and have a conference without WMF grant money. Other organzations like Wiki Edu might be willing to provide some funding. Ideas welcome.
* We might be able to get free venue space, but the big problem is getting scholarship funding.
Wikipedia Day and Public Domain Day
* Example events include talks about Wikpedia at places like community centers, and social events.
* Something new this year is that we have Public Domain Day this January
* The Internet Archive and Creative Commons will be promoting Public Domain Day
* CreativeCommons.org and Wikipedia started on the same day
* This is one of the easier events to host because people will celebrate Wikipedia
* There will be a celebration at the Internet Archive
* Discussion about eligibility
Wikipedia Asian Month Report
* 3rd or 4th year of this campaign in over 50 languages
* Very large and successful annual campaign with small amount of resources
WikiCite 2018 San Francisco conference
* Imagine instead of creating the same citation repeatedly accross projects, Wikidata could be used to centralize the citation so that it could be used repeatedly
* Discussion about concepts is ongoing
* Imagine a library card that provides access to every reference in the world
WMF bylaws changes and usergroups
* Proposed extending term limits from 2 terms to 3 terms for WMF board members
* Proposed change of chapters and thematic organizations exclusively to also including using groups in the voting for Board seats
* Proposed general statement of support about diversity of the board
Wikidata demo / Wikidata conference by Fuzheado
* Tool call Tabernacle to find and edit Wikidata live. Dragging and dropping is possible.
* Wikidata Conference will happen in October 2019
WonderCon panelist search
* Open submission for panels happen at the same time as the Berlin conference. RightCowLeftCoast is looking for panelists.
* This conference will be in Aniheim in March 29 to 31st.
* If interested please contact RightCowLeftCoast
Wikipedians of Los Angeles in their Facebook group
* Discussion about joint event
Rotating Presidency of WALRUS calls
* We had Georgia this month