User:MF-Warburg/Rapid grants draft
Briefly explain what are you trying to accomplish with this project, or what do you expect will change as a result of this grant. Example goals include, "recruit new editors", "add high quality content", or "train existing editors on a specific skill".
- Make available specification and software for Wikimedia project editors
- Make this software freely available to commercial and non-commercial vendors for distribution.
Tell us how you'll carry out your project. What will you and other organizers spend your time doing?
- Research the orthographic requirements of the languages specified
- Design an optimized input layout for keyboarding the languages
- Prepare software implementations for a variety of platforms. This project is a pilot project for potentially many keyboard specifications for underrepresented languages and will include research on the feasability of configuring software implementations for a variety of platforms (MacOS, Windows, Linux).
How will you let others in your community know about your project (please provide links to where relevant communities have been notified of your proposal, and to any other relevant community discussions)? Why are you targeting a specific audience?
- This project supports a specific language which has just been approved by the Language Committee. The problem of character input has not been resolved and the user community has proposed an unstable Latin-script workaround, which is not the appropriate solution for inputting in the Khowar language.
What will you have done at the end of your project? How will you follow-up with people that are involved with your project?
- see above
How will you know if the project is successful and you've met your goals? Please include the following targets and feel free to add more specific to your project:
- Number of total participants
- Number of articles created or improved (if applicable)
- Number of photos uploaded to Wikimedia Commons (if applicable)
- Number of photos used on Wikimedia projects (if applicable)
- none of these applicable, because this is a tool for development
What resources do you have? Include information on who is the organizing the project, what they will do, and if you will receive support from anywhere else (in-kind donations or additional funding).
- This project will be done by:
- Evertype - 20 years of experience with Unicode, keyboard design and implementation
- MF-Warburg - 5 years of experience in fielding and responding to multilingual language support challenges as reported by users, and assisting them in overcoming technical issue with regard to Wikimedia software
What resources do you need? For your funding request, list bullet points for each expense:
- Research/Specification 1000 USD
- Implementation 1000 USD