User:ASedrati (WMF)/Monthly Reports/Arabic Strategy Office Hour 21 May 2020
This page is a report page related to the Arabic Strategy Office Hour held on May 21, 2020 to discuss with the Arabic Speaking Wikimedian community about the 10 final recommendations of Wikimedia 2030 Strategy, as well as on the next steps.
- Date: Thursday May 21, 2020
- Time: 20.30 - 22 (UTC)
- Place: Google Meet
- Total Number of Participants: 17
- Speakers: Anass: Arabic Language Strategy Liaison - Abbad: Core Team Member
- Strategy Status and Recommendations Presentation (~ 1h)
- Questions and discussion (~ 30 min)
Wikimedia 2030 Strategy PresentationEdit
Anass and Abbad presented Wikimedia 2030 Strategy focusing on four main aspects:
- Overview of the Wikimedia 2030 Strategy Process, its background and the previous work.
- Presentation of the Wikimedia 2030 Pinciples, and the patterns in the recommendations
- Presentation and explanation of the 10 Wikimedia 2030 Strategy Recommendations.
- Introduction to the Implementation Phase
Main Discussed PointsEdit
Participation in the next PhasesEdit
A recurrent question was about how participation will be in the implementation phase, and how this phase will be designed, as well as how the communities will be involved in it. The answer was that this is an ongoing process that is in fact being designed at this very moment. Of course, any new update and decision shall be communicated to the communities as soon as taken.
A participant asked about how to motivate more community members to participate in the Strategy in general (and more especially the implementation phase). The answer was that participating in the implementation phase is the only way to make sure that our community will have the impact it seeks, and to make sure that our own local contexts and challenges will be addressed by 2030.
Project Policies/Content QuestionsEdit
A number of questions regarded project policies or were content related, such as: How to Improve quality of the articles? Or how to empower neutral points of view? In relation with 2030 Strategy, the answer was to encourage community members to participate in the implementation phase discussions, especially those involving sustainability and diversity, as these aspects affect directly the content. Other areas can also be interesting to follow (identify topics for impact for example) as they affect the content indirectly.