Our strategic priorities:
- Stabilize infrastructure
- Increase participation
- Improve quality
- Increase reach
- Encourage innovation
Wikimedia Foundation targets for 2015:
- Increase the total number of people served to 1 billion
- Increase the number of Wikipedia articles we offer to 50 million
- Ensure information is high quality by increasing the percentage of material reviewed to be of high or very high quality by 25 percent
- Encourage readers to become contributors by increasing the number of total editors who make at least 5 edits per month to 200,000
- Support healthy diversity in the editing community by doubling the percentage of female editors to 25 percent and increase the percentage of Global South editors to 37 percent
The latest news and views from the Wikimedia Foundation:
- My GLAMorous introduction into the Wikiverse
- In January 2021, I had no experience on any of the Wikimedia platforms. By the end of 2021, I had added over 200,000 words across...
- Chris Koerner 2022-06-30 16:54:24
- WIKIMOVE Ep#3: UNLOCKing innovation – now available on Spotify, Soundcloud, Stitcher & more
- We are excited to be dropping the 3rd episode of WIKIMOVE, our podcast on everything Wikimedia Movement Strategy. In this episode we talk about innovation...
- Eva Martin WMDE 2022-06-28 07:00:00
- Other languages: Bahasa Indonesia, Deutsch, English, français, italiano, magyar, polski, português, português do Brasil, čeština, русский, українська, עברית, العربية, فارسی, বাংলা, 中文, 日本語, 한국어 Lat...
- quiddity-WMF 2022-06-27 21:29:49
- Wikimedia Foundation Environmental Sustainability Carbon Footprint Report for 2021
- The Wikimedia Foundation continues its effort to ensure that our work and mission support are in step with a more sustainable world. We recently published...
- Deb Tankersley 2022-06-27 16:01:00
- Our improved desktop Wikipedia experience is almost here. Get the latest updates.
- Since 2019, the Web team at the Wikimedia Foundation has been working to create a better desktop experience for Wikipedia readers and community members, regardless...
- Alex Hollender 2022-06-27 14:15:26
- Equity Landscape Data: Community Pilot Results & Next Steps
- The Global Data & Insights team’s Equity Landscape metrics project completed the first pilot cohort for data use and consultation in Feb-March 2022. The purpose...
- Namrata Ray 2022-06-24 15:15:40
Read the Foundation's 2011–12 Annual financial plan, which also includes strategic targets, activities, and staffing overview.
See current events for more information.
The Wikimedia Foundation relies heavily on the generous support from our users. Please consider making a donation today, be it time or money. The benefactors page is dedicated to some of the companies and individuals helping to sustain the Wikimedia projects. The Wikimedia Foundation does not necessarily endorse the activities of its Corporate Benefactors.
The Wikimedia Foundation is incorporated as a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization in the United States, and donations from US citizens are tax deductible. Donations made by citizens of other countries may also be tax deductible. Please see deductibility of donations for details. Please see our fundraising page for details of making donations via PayPal, MoneyBookers, postal mail or direct deposit. For all other types of donations, please contact us.
The Wikimedia Foundation is proud to be one of the most transparent non-profit organizations in the world. For updates about our program activities and our Annual Report, see the other links on this page. Additionally, we provide the following information:
Wikimedia Foundation staff regularly participate in open office hours on IRC (an online chat system). Our fundraising work is public and community-driven as well. If you'd like to jump right in, visit the community fundraising landing page.