Tell us about Sanskrit Wikipedia
This page belongs to the project Tell us about your Wikipedia.
Name of the WikipediaEdit
- Wikimedia Statistics can be difficult to interpret. What is your impression, how many steady contributors do you have?
- Are your contributors mostly native speakers?
- Where do your contributors live (regions/country)?
- How common is it that your contributors meet in real life?
Mostly on Social Networking Sites
- Do you have special contacts with other Wikipedias (maybe in related languages)?
We have an embassy here. We have users which have English or Indian languages as their home-wiki.
- Do you translate a lot from other Wikipedias? Which ones?
Mostly Hindi , English and Simple English
Organization and supportEdit
- Is there a Wikimedia chapter in your country? How does your language relate to it?
We have a chapter here in India. Being a new chapter, we are trying to contact it.
- Are there work groups in other organizations about Wikipedia?
Facebook and IRC
Your Wikipedia and the linguistic communityEdit
- Is there a language institution for your language, like an Academy, or a club of people interested in your language? Do you have contact with them?
Yes, we have contact with Samskrutha Bharati. It is an organization working towards the revival of the language. Recently, State Government of Karnataka, India allocated in its annual budget a grant to this organization to develop Sanskrit Wikipedia.
- Who (else) supports you?
Support is given by Samskrutha Bharati and the State Government of Karnataka.
- What does the public outreach for your edition look like? Do you have flyers, give lectures, training etc.?
Basic training has been given in some workshops.
- Do you get feedback from readers?
Yes, we sometimes get feedback from users of other Wikipedias.
- What other encyclopedias exist in your language?
- Does your edition concentrate on certain topics, like your region and language, or Latin Wikipedia on Roman history and Christianity?
Mostly on Hinduism and Districts of India.
- Did your edition enjoy text donations, for example from older encyclopedias?
- Is there a generally accepted norm about your language (spelling, dictionary, pronunciation)?
- How do you deal with different spellings, dialects etc. (like B.E. lift and A.E. elevator)?
Mostly long discussions are held on it. Users good in Sanskrit are asked for the correct spelling.