Latest tech news from the Wikimedia technical community. Please inform other users about these changes. Not all changes will affect you. Translations are available.
Recent software changes
- The latest version of MediaWiki (1.24wmf8) was added to test wikis and MediaWiki.org on June 5. It will be added to non-Wikipedia wikis on June 10, and to all Wikipedias on June 12 (calendar).
- You can now use guided tours on the Arabic (ar), Bengali (bn) and Norwegian (no) Wikipedias. If you want this tool on your wiki, you need to translate it and ask in Bugzilla.  
- You should no longer be able to add empty references with VisualEditor.  
- The "use an existing reference" button in the reference tool is now shown as disabled, rather than hidden, when the reference has content.   
- You will now see category contents again after saving an edit to a category page with VisualEditor.  
- MediaViewer will be enabled by default on all wikis on June 12. Feedback is welcome. 
- You will be able to use information from Wikidata directly in Wikiquote pages starting on June 10. 
- On wikis with the Translate extension enabled, translation administrators will soon be able to use the page migration tool to import existing translations to the new system.  
- You will soon see metadata on file description pages for Ogg files (example video, example audio). Some files with non-English metadata may need to have their description page purged before they show correctly.  
- Templates containing
<references> tags will no longer need dummy parameters to prevent caching.   
- You will no longer be able to use Special:Thanks directly. The page will soon show an error message when you visit it.  
- Hovercards will no longer flicker. 
Tech news prepared by tech ambassadors and posted by MediaWiki message delivery • Contribute • Translate • Get help • Give feedback • Subscribe or unsubscribe.