The Tech News weekly summaries help you monitor recent software changes likely to impact you and your fellow Wikimedians. Subscribe and contribute.
|previous||2014, week 23 (Monday 02 June 2014)||next|
Latest tech news from the Wikimedia technical community. Please inform other users about these changes. Not all changes will affect you. Translations are available.
Recent software changes
- The latest version of MediaWiki (1.24wmf7) was added to test wikis and MediaWiki.org on May 29. It will be added to non-Wikipedia wikis on June 3, and to all Wikipedias on June 5 (calendar).
- CirrusSearch was enabled as the primary search method on all Wikipedias with fewer than 100,000 pages on May 30. 
- Templates that redirect to other templates now get the TemplateData of their target. 
- The toolbar of the PageTriage extension will no longer be visible after you save an edit with VisualEditor.  
- VisualEditor now checks if your browser supports SVG files to avoid displaying broken icons. 
- There is now a new type for TemplateData parameters:
datefor dates and times in the ISO 8601 format. 
Future software changes
- MediaViewer will be enabled on the German (de) and English (en) Wikipedias on June 3. Feedback is welcome.
- You will soon see a warning if you visit a contributions page for a user that does not exist.  
- The search tab will soon be removed from user preferences. You will be able to set your search preferences on Special:Search.  
- You will soon see a label next to the little triangle arrow for the Actions menu in the Vector skin (screenshot).  
- For about 20 minutes on May 29, all wikis were broken due to a configuration error. 
Tech news prepared by tech ambassadors and posted by MediaWiki message delivery • Contribute • Translate • Get help • Give feedback • Subscribe or unsubscribe.