Latest tech news from the Wikimedia technical community. Please inform other users about these changes. Not all changes will affect you. Translations are available.
Recent software changes
- The latest version of MediaWiki (1.24wmf6) was added to test wikis and MediaWiki.org on May 22. It will be added to non-Wikipedia wikis on May 27, and all Wikipedias on May 29 (calendar).
- MediaViewer will be enabled on all Wikisource wikis on May 29, and on the German (de) and English (en) Wikipedias on June 3. Feedback is welcome.
- VisualEditor's welcome message and wikitext warning now say that you can switch to source mode editing and keep your edits without saving them.    
- A bug that caused files not to appear after saving edits in the
File: namespace was fixed last week.  
- VisualEditor tabs will no longer appear in namespaces where VisualEditor is disabled.  
- It is now possible to edit inline images with VisualEditor; many minor bugs related to images have also been fixed. 
- VisualEditor will no longer convert spaces to underscores inside links to pages in namespaces that include spaces in their names. 
Future software changes
- Wikimedia Labs will stop working for about 10 minutes around 18:00 UTC on May 30 due to a server upgrade. 
- It will soon no longer be possible to upload different files under the same name at the same time using the UploadWizard tool.  
- Links to TIFF, DjVu or PDF files created with the syntax
[[File:Name.ext|thumb|page 15 is my favourite]] will now show an image caption if there is any text after page number; previously they caused the given page to appear.   
- You will soon see information about global blocks for IP addresses on their contributions page on your local wiki.  
Tech news prepared by tech ambassadors and posted by MediaWiki message delivery • Contribute • Translate • Get help • Give feedback • Subscribe or unsubscribe.