The Tech News weekly summaries help you monitor recent software changes likely to impact you and your fellow Wikimedians. Subscribe and contribute.
|previous||2014, week 18 (Monday 28 April 2014)||next|
Latest tech news from the Wikimedia technical community. Please inform other users about these changes. Not all changes will affect you. Translations are available.
Recent software changes
- The latest version of MediaWiki (1.24wmf2) was added to test wikis and MediaWiki.org on April 24. It will be added to non-Wikipedia wikis on April 29, and all Wikipedias on May 1 (calendar).
- You can now use interwiki prefix
c:to link to pages on Wikimedia Commons. 
- You will soon be able to set content language and direction with VisualEditor. 
- VisualEditor now works on all Wikipedias after broken
MediaWiki:Common.jspages (and similar) were fixed last week. 
- VisualEditor dialogs now use an animation of moving lines rather than animated GIF images.
Future software changes
- CirrusSearch will be enabled as a beta feature on 41 new wikis, including Meta-Wiki and the Swedish (sv), Russian (ru), Polish (pl), Japanese (ja) and Chinese (zh) Wikipedias next week. This change means that CirrusSearch will now be enabled on all Wikimedia wikis.
- MediaViewer will be enabled for all users on the French (fr) and Dutch (nl) Wikipedias on May 1. Feedback is welcome. 
- The mobile version of Wikimedia wikis will soon include filters to limit the number of uploaded files that are copyright violations. 
- CodeEditor will soon have a status bar about errors and warnings.  
- You can test a new version of Winter, a proposal to have a fixed toolbar at the top of wiki pages. Comments are welcome. 
- For about 30 minutes on April 21, there were problems with image scaling due to a high server load.  
- On April 22, it was not possible to use the Collection extension for about 90 minutes due to a server move.  
Tech news prepared by tech ambassadors and posted by MediaWiki message delivery • Contribute • Translate • Get help • Give feedback • Subscribe or unsubscribe.