Return to "WikiWomenCamp/FAQ/Perspectives/Ukraine" page.
Usefulness of this researchEdit
I find this research pretty stereotyped and thus not very useful. The problems of this research are numerous, I will list just the most important ones:
- Firstly, it's obvious that there are no Ukrainian women on Portuguese Wikinews. According to statistics, Ukrainian people edit mostly Ukrainian (54%), then Russian (40%) and only about 4% edit English Wikipedia, Portuguese and Spanish projects are under 1%. Research in Portuguese Wikiversity or even English Wikipedia does not make sence, as these projects are far from being popular in Ukraine. It's more useful to make a research on, say, Ukrainian Wikipedia to have more representative results.
- Again, Ukrainians hardly ever participate in enwiki ArbCom elections. Ukrainian Wikipedia, however, did have a female ArbCom member
- Wikipedia 10 photo is from Kharkiv where only 8 people attended celebrations (there are 7 people on the photo, and the only woman attending this meetup was the photographer, she can be seen here). Main celebrations were held in Kyiv and feature more women
- It's also useful to mention that the only woman in fundraising appeal is Maryana Pinchuk, a Ukrainian living in the USA. Of course, she is not living in Ukraine, but still she has uk-4
- You can look for any other statistics in Ukrainian or Russian projects as well, as these are the languages most used by Ukrainian wikimedians, but obviously not Portuguese or Spanish — NickK 13:27, 2 February 2012 (UTC)
- Hi NickK , yes, I'm pretty sure you will find many mistake. Please fix them as you see fit, if you know better. I try to add some statistic as well but I'm going from A-Z for 75 countries. :-( - let us know also if you know female Ukraine who would like to participate in the camp, we can't promise anything but we will try hard to sponsor participation. Siska.Doviana 03:54, 11 February 2012 (UTC)