Talk:The AfroCine Project
Welcome to the Months of African Cinema!Edit
The AfroCine Project welcomes you to October, the first out of the two months which has been dedicated to improving contents that centre around the cinema of Africa, the Caribbean, and the diaspora.
This is a global online edit-a-thon, which is happening in at least 5 language editions of Wikipedia (en, he, es, it, bn) and Wikidata. Join us in this exciting venture, by helping to create or expand articles which are connected to this scope.
On English Wikipedia, we would be recognizing Users who are able to achieve the following:
- Overall winner (1st, 2nd, 3rd places)
- Country Winners
- Diversity winner
- High quality contributors
- Gender-gap fillers
- Page improvers
- Wikidata Translators
For further information about the contest, the recognition categories and how to participate, please visit the contest page here.
If you'd love to organize this contest for your local wiki or organize in-person events centred around this project, or you need further information about the AfroCine Project, please leave a message on the project talkpage. See you around :).--Jamie Tubers (talk) 22:50, 03 October 2018 (UTC)
Thanks for your feedback. I would like to organize an AfroCine Contest in the future, I need guidelines on how to go about it when the contest reopens again Jwale2 (talk) 04:29, 11 January 2019 (UTC).
- Hello Jwale2 Thank you for reaching out! Of course you are very welcome to organize events and contests for AfroCine in the future. Can you please provide your e-mail for further communications? Thank you!--Jamie Tubers (talk) 16:43, 31 January 2019 (UTC)
- Hello Jamie Tubers my email is email@example.com. Jwale2 (talk) 16:52, 31 January 2019 (UTC)
AfroCine: Join the Months of African Cinema this October!Edit
After a successful first iteration of the Months of African Cinema last year, we are happy to announce that it will be happening again this year, starting from October 1! In the 2018 edition of the contest, about 600 Wikipedia articles were created in at least 8 languages. There were also contributions to Wikidata and Wikimedia commons, which brought the total number of wikimedia pages created during the contest to over 1,000. About 9 in-person events were also organised for the edit-a-thon in different parts of the world.
The contest is organized by a Wikimedia project called The AfroCine Project, which is dedicated to improving the coverage of the history, works, people, places, and events, that are associated with the cinema, theatre and arts of Africa, African countries, the Caribbean, and the diaspora.
If you would love to join this exciting event, please list your username as a participant on the English Wikipedia contest page. If you would love to lead this contest for your country or community, please list your name in the coordinators' page here. The rapid grants team would be accepting proposals throughout October and November, in case you'd need funds to run local edit-a-thons or some other activities related to this event. Upon listing your name on the coordinators' page, you'd be contacted to talk about the resources you'd need to run the event in your community. You can also contact me directly for any clarifications.
Finally, We also need volunteers to handle some aspects of the AfroCine project. These aspects include:
- Community Liaison: This role essentially involves closely engaging with local communities to support their activities within the scope of Afrocine.
- Communications: This involves the communications aspects of the project. Sharing relevant information on mailing lists and social media would be the responsibility of this person.
- MAC Jury: This role involves joining the jury of Months of African Cinema contest. We need as many people as we can get 🙂.
- Tools: Going forward, we would need relevant tools to better track the metrics and also analyse the general impact of these events. We are calling for Wikimedia volunteers who can navigate wikimedia tools that can be useful for the project.
If you would love to help with any of these roles, or some other roles that have not been mentioned, please contact me directly or on: samoye_ hotmail.com
If you have further questions, complaints, suggestions, etc., please reach out to me personally or right here or the project talkpages.
Wiki Indaba 2021 is here!Edit
Hosted by the Wikimedia Community User Group Uganda, the first ever virtual Wiki Indaba conference is taking place online from the 5th to the 7th of November 2021 under the theme Rethink + Reset : Visions of the future.
Wiki Indaba 2021 is a unique opportunity to come together to build the capacity of African Wikimedians both within the continent and the diaspora to foster the growth of the coverage and our involvement in Wikimedia projects.
Most importantly, we would like to have you at the conference, please register here to get your free ticket and spread the word to your community members.
Looking forward to seeing you and hearing you speak at the conference.