For modern syntax highlighting, see Community Tech/Wikitext editor syntax highlighting.
|This page is kept for historical interest. Its content is outdated or may be wrong. You may find more up-to-date information at on the www.mediawiki.org website.|
Syntax highlighting mark up for programs?Edit
I'm kinda newbie here. I'd thought that there will be some kind of mark up for syntax highlighting of programs like <program lang="PHP">..code here..</program> But, I couldn't find anything such. So, I have experimented few syntax highlighting with PHP's highlight_file() in few articles: en:PHP programming language#Code_Examples, en:Hello world program#Perl, and en:C programming language#Hello,_World!_in_C As Wiki is fast, I strongly believe this might be already discussed. Could someone please direct me to such thing? TIA. --Rrjanbiah 12:21, 3 May 2004 (UTC)
- I've always thought syntax highlighting ugly. Others though may have good reasons to do so, though. It does make the code snippets difficult to edit, though... Dysprosia 13:16, 3 May 2004 (UTC)
- Wiki's own syntax highlighter something like <program lang="PHP">..code here..</program> may be helpful incase someone feels it is hard to edit the code. Is there any such projects going in Wiki anyway? --Rrjanbiah 13:21, 3 May 2004 (UTC)
- An additional problem with manually colouring syntax, like you have, is that it won't take into account properties of skins, a user's preferences, possible future non-Web versions, etc, etc. Which brings me to suggest that somebody (you?) could write an extension, à la <math> et al to do exactly what you say. This could then include abilities to vary based on skin/preference/display modality (or whatever it's called) in the same way as the other extensions - there's probably a description of the new modular extension architecture somewhere on meta, or will be soon.
- Now, having said all that, I'm not sure whether I think highlighted code is better or worse, for such short bursts as we're likely to have here. It would probably be useful on wikibooks: though, where there are likely to be whole program listings... - IMSoP 16:02, 3 May 2004 (UTC)
- Yes, thanks for your comments. I can contribute to that. My idea is something like <program lang="php" highlight="yes">..code..</program>. And also, skinning as in PHP's enhanced help manual (one with copy to clipboard JS stuffs, etc) But, I thought that similar discussions might have done in Wiki and that's why asked. And, I can't promise about my contribution at this moment as I'm busy now. --Rrjanbiah 10:35, 8 May 2004 (UTC)
- have a look at geshi at http://qbnz.com/highlighter/index.php. It takes only a few lines to implement as mediawiki-extension. to see geshi at work in mediawiki have a look at my site at http://php.xwiki.de. 188.8.131.52 14:02, 7 Jan 2005 (UTC)
- Please see en:Talk:Hello_world_program#Color-coding_of_hello_world_programs and allow people to discuss such drastic edits in the future by taking them up on the appropriate talk pages. --Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason 00:32, 2004 May 6 (UTC)
- Yes, I do care about Wiki. As stated in my edit summary, I was experimenting that and was planned to revert after few days (after getting some feedbacks). But, never thought that you would revert it immediately. --Rrjanbiah 10:35, 8 May 2004 (UTC)