This page is a descriptive article on the Swedish Wikipedia, feel free to add any comment.
The Swedish Wikipedia is the Swedish language version of Wikipedia. It was founded in May 2001, but was practically inactive until November 2002. On August 27, 2005, Swedish Wikipedia had grown to over 100 000 articles and during the month of December 2008 Swedish Wikipedia passed 300 000 articles. On June 18 2011 Swedish Wikipedia passed 400 000 articles.
The Swedish Wikipedia reached 500 000 articles on September 27, 2012 .
In 2012 a bot pilot project to create articles for all species of birds in the world started. The bot, called Lsj-bot, after that went on to create articles about all species of higher animals and plants in the world, and later also created articles about geographical features of the world such as mountains and lakes, cities and towns. In 2016 Swedish Wikipedia had over 3 700 000 articles. Since 2016 work to improve quality of bot generated content is one major project for the community.
The criteria for a user to become an administrator on the Swedish Wikipedia are quite low compared to other Wikipedias. The effects hereof may, to a certain extent, be reduced by the fact that administrators on the Swedish Wikipedia have to be re-elected yearly, making it easier to get rid of unsuitable administrators. Of the 8 615 registered users as of November 20, 2005, 69 (or 0.8%) were admins. On January 17, 2010, Swedish Wikipedia had 100 administrators. However, later, the number have become lower, and there was about 62 administrators on Swedish Wikipedia in 2019.
Statistics for the Swedish Wikipedia can be found here.
Started: May 2001
Areas of strength
- Number of articles
Areas of weakness
- Many bot generated articles that needs to be checked
What other prominent encyclopedias exist in this language (print, electronic, online)?
- Wikimania 2019 in Stockholm
What has its impact been?
What language features are challenging?
What would surprise the outside reader about the community?
- Swedish Wikipedia has not been covered much at all by the Swedish press
- Since English is so widely comprehensible in Sweden, it may be folks use and concentrate on en: to the detriment of Swedish Wikipedia
What are some unique practices/characteristics?
- Lots of meetups are arrenged, like Wikifika, edit-a-thons and photo safaris
- Many collaboration projects, like Article of the Month, Mission of the Month and Weekly contest
Who were the earliest participants, who started it?
- sv:User:Dan Koehl, sv:User:Den fjättrade ankan, and sv:User:Liftarn is three of the oldest users on svwp.
Other prominent Wikipedians?
Wikimedia Sweden (WMSE) is a nonprofit organization supporting Wikimedia projects.
Toira-lika measures have been used on svwp a couple of times.