Strategy/Wikimedia movement/2018-20/2019 Community Conversations/Strategy Salons/Reports/UG Nigeria Youth Salon
Date and locationEdit
- 17 July 2019, COLERM Class, Federal University of Agriculture, Abeokuta, Ogun State.
- Duration: 1.00pm - 4.30pm
The Youth Strategy Salon 2019 organized in FUNAAB is the very first Wikimedia related program with students in the University; before this time the Wikimedia usergroup Nigeria held different training in the school but the audience has mostly be school librarians or staffs and not students. Also it gave room to perfectly introduce the already planned fan club in the institution called Wikimedia fan club FUNAAB.
The first thing was to introduce what Wikimedia 2030 is as almost all the participants are not Wikimedia contributors and were hearing for the first time that you can contribute so we took time out to explain the possibilities behind editing Wikipedia and the expectation from the strategy session. The first theme "Capacity Building" was introduced by the moderator Kaizenify and then opening it up for the participants to contribute to it while sharing personal experience. After a thorough discussion, we took a break and then started with the second theme of "Diversity" where participants contributed immensely as well. Lunch was then served and participants also use the opportunity to network around while the President of Wikimedia UG Nigeria Olaniyan Olushola took the floor to thank the participants and express delights about their contributions while echoing on the ongoing plan to have a fan club in their school for thriving community.
Summary of the discussion pointsEdit
Discussion Theme 1 (Capacity Building)Edit
• How do we make capacity building inclusive and equitable?
- First before we build capacity, there should be proper communication to the recipients:
- In-terms of understanding the potentials, ability and what we need.
- The need to also understanding what the limiting factors are, which include our unique challenges as a country.
- Ability of the Wikimedia Foundation to communicate the bigger picture to us so everybody run with it.
• Which stakeholders should be a part of capacity building efforts, and how?
- The major stakeholder should be Wikimedia affiliate in our locality:
- The usergroup Nigeria should be well equip so they can go on and train more others.
- Another stakeholder is tertiary schools:
- Wikimedia Foundation should do more to raise the level of awareness in tertiary institutions so students can be engage easily and hence build the needed to capacity.
• What tools and methods work best locally, regionally and internationally?
- Setting up hubs and fan clubs in various states of Nigeria and especially Universities and other tertiary institutions.
- Making sure occasionally representatives of Wikimedia Foundation comes to Nigeria to train and empower contributors on how well to do more.
- More travelling and exposure opportunities should be giving to Nigerians been the most populous African nation and also mainly because of the diversity.
• How do we grow the available tools beyond training, identifying innovative and effective formats?
- Through fellowship:
- Where contributors are are made to go through training after which they become a fellow.
- Having badges and certificate to show you have a through knowledge about contributing to the Wikimedia projects.
• What processes or systems will support effective capacity building?
- Partnership with tertiary institutions
- Partnership with organizations that will encourage language advocacy.
Discussion Theme 2 (Diversity)Edit
• Can we establish that every community must have a code of conduct which provides for inclusion of diversity? How does a commitment to diversity also manifest itself in the governance structures of our movement’s organizations, in our public relations, and social media representation?
- Yes, every community differs with structure so they should be code of conduct:
- Nigeria as a country frowns at LGBT community with jail imprisonment so its important to have code of conduct in Nigeria that will differ from other countries that support LGBT.
- If there isn't a code of conduct and LGBT contents for instance are constantly contributed to by the Nigerian volunteers; the government could see it as a sabotage and clamp down on the editors and the Wikimedia community in Nigeria.
- The public relations shouldn't be just people known by the community but also marginal and minor communities as well.
• What effective measures should be taken for the future so our greater community can use languages other than English in order to make decisions, eliminating the requirement for a mastery of English as part of our decision-making community?
- Support more language only hubs or usergroup:
- With this, more awareness will be raised about various indigenous languages with project executed in that area.
- Support technology tools that support language advocacy:
- For instance, supporting the production of keyboards that is primary designed to write only Yoruba.
- Technology advances like Yoruba voice interpreter.
- Target Tertiary institution to train them on ho to use local language Wikipedia.
• As volunteering is essentially a role for the privileged, should Wikimedia Foundation start giving monetary incentives and honorarium for people who volunteer a huge amount of their time to movement activities?
- For a country like Nigeria where voluntary isn't well encourage, so WMF can instead give opportunities in place of money that will give volunteers the needed capacity.
- For people in Nigeria`with low cost of living and expensive or low quality Internets; preference should be given to volunteers who commit huge time with monetary incentives.
Reflections from participants or partnersEdit
The strategy Youth Salon in FUNAAB meant a lot to the Nigeria user group as it is the first Wikimedia related event we will be having as a usergroup with students of FUNAAB and so allows participants to understand what Wikipedia is all about and how they can contribute. It also laid the foundation for the launch of Wikimedia Fan club in the school.
Photographs or videosEdit
More pictures can be found at the category Wikimedia Strategy youth salon at commons.
Statement on your budgetEdit
The total budget for this event was 1000 USD, covering accommodation, transportation as well as meals, catering, certificate of participation, photography and video service and t-shirts. And no amount was left