Strategy/Wikimedia movement/2017/Sources/Cycle 3/West Bengal Wikimedians Strategy Meetup in Kolkata
What group or community is this source coming from?
|name of group||West Bengal Wikimedians User Group|
|virtual location (page-link) or physical location (city/state/country)||Kolkata, West Bengal, India|
|Location type (e.g. local wiki, Facebook, in-person discussion, telephone conference)||in-person discussion|
|# of participants in this discussion (a rough count)||10|
Fill in the table below, using these 2 keys.
- Key Insight
- The Western encyclopedia model is not serving the evolving needs of people who want to learn.
- Knowledge sharing has become highly social across the globe.
- Much of the world's knowledge is yet to be documented on our sites and it requires new ways to integrate and verify sources.
- The discovery and sharing of trusted information have historically continued to evolve.
- Trends in misinformation are increasing and may challenge the ability for Wikimedians to find trustworthy sources of knowledge.
- Mobile will continue to grow. Products will evolve and use new technologies such as artificial intelligence, augmented reality, and virtual reality. These will change how we create, present, and distribute knowledge.
- As the world population undergoes major shifts, the Wikimedia movement has an opportunity to help improve the knowledge available in more places and to more people.
- Readers in seven of our most active countries have little understanding of how Wikipedia works, is structured, is funded, and how content is created.
- Overall (either)
|Line||Week #||Key insight||Summary Statement||Overall||Keyword|
|1||2||B||Unlike western societies, we do not get information about academicians, artists etc. from newspaper. So, it is very difficult to get reference for many notable subjects.||concern||sources|
|2||2||B||Several articles could not be created or have been nominated for deletion, as proper references could not be found||concern||sources|
|3||2||B||Sometimes there are information but not sources. These information are mostly primary research, which is not suitable for Wikipedia.||concern||sources|
|4||2||B||We should try to involve subject-experts, academics etc.||supportive||sources|
|5||2||B||Subject-experts should not be involved only to write articles. They can help in various ways such as information validation, quality checking, providing sources etc.||supportive||sources|
|6||2||B||Peer-reviewed thesis should be used as references||neutral||sources|
|7||2||B||Editors should get involved in sister projects such as Wikisource, Wikivoyage where references are not needed||supportive||sources|
|8||2||B||Videos can be recorded and documentaries can be created and uploaded on Wikimedia Commons||supportive||sources|
|7||2||B||Editors should try to get source materials from physical libraries, as a large number of books are not available in digital format||supportive||sources|
|9||2||B||Resources and access can be requested at The Wikipedia Library||supportive||sources|
|10||2||B||Currently there are not too many Indian resources at the Wikipedia Library. Such requests are to be made.||supportive||sources|
|11||2||B||Verbal or oral source: Oral reference should be structured and plans should be made on bringing these on Wikipedia and other projects||supportive||sources|
|12||2||B||Orientation and workshops are to be done to involve academics to involve them into the movement||supportive||sources|
|13||2||C||Work on projects like Wikisource||supportive||knowledge|
|14||2||E||There should be more number of active admins, although becoming admin is not easy.||supportive||information|
|15||2||E||There should be more number of active admins, although becoming admin is not easy.||supportive||- style="vertical-align:top;"|
|16||2||E||Identifiable sites can be blacklisted so that those can not be used on Wikimedia projects||supportive||sources, misinformation|
|17||2||F||Mobile apps should be improved and should be more user and editor-friendly||supportive||mobile|
|18||2||E||Audio Wikipedia or spoken Wikipedia project should be given more importance||supportive||accessibility|
Grant funds spentEdit
|Sl no.||Item description||Total INR||Total USD||Receipts|
- 1 INR = 0.016 USD
The funds remaining from this grant in the amount of 3624 INR (56.53 USD).