Research:WikiHealth: A scoping review of Wikipedia in academic & health literature
This project is a first step in my research towards finding out how Wikipedia is included in the consumption of health information for decision-making. A scoping review of the academic health literature and the library and information sciences literature will be conducted to identify and analyze themes within this body of literature.
This scoping reviews asks:
1. What publication trends exist, if any, among health-related articles about Wikipedia? and,
2. What does the existing body of literature say about Wikipedia as an online health information resource?
In an effort to retrieve all records within the scope of health and medicine, I generated a broad search strategy:
A title and abstract only keyword search for “Wikipedia” in each of the following databases:
- OVID Medline
- OVID Embase
- Wilson Web
A single keyword search for “Wikipedia” in Web of Science followed by manual search to retrieve any content related to a health topic.
All records were exported to a free citation manager (Zotero) and imported into systematic review (SR) software (DistillerSR). Using the SR software, database records were screened first by title and abstract. A second round of review screened the full-text of all records.
Records were excluded if:
- Wikipedia is not a major or exclusive focus of the article
- Wikipedia is not discussed within the context of a health or medical topic
- The article is not available in English (no funds are provided to support translation for this review)
- The article is a letter, commentary, editorial, or popular media article
In some cases, a conference proceeding record and a published article record were retrieved for the same report. In these instances, I excluded the conference proceeding and retained the full-text article. Some articles did discuss Wikipedia’s health or medical content but were excluded because Wikipedia was not a major focus of the paper and the treatment of Wikipedia's health content was insufficient to merit inclusion.
- Construct and execute literature search strategy
- Title/Abstract Screen
- Full-text Screen
- Compose annotated bibliography of included studies
- Identify themes within the literature
- Compose thematic analysis
- Compose first draft of Scoping Review manuscript
- Apply for grant to cover Open Access Author Processing Charges
- Submit for publication to Open Access journal
Policy, Ethics and Human Subjects ResearchEdit
This project will not disrupt the work of Wikipedians. No human subjects are involved in this study and therefore ethics review is not required.
2,213 unique results were retrieved. 2,124 were excluded based on the criteria listed in Methods, leaving 89 articles and conference proceedings to be reviewed.
Two publication trends emerged:
- Approximately 40% of articles in this review were published using the open access publishing model. This is 143% greater than the average amount of open access publications in all published literature, based on findings from a study of CrossRef - a service that catalogues all published articles with a DOI (digital object identifier).
Four categories that emerged through thematic analysis:
- 11% of the literature: Articles with a general focus on situating Wikipedia as a health information resource with no specific context as a major focus (e.g for consumers, professionals, or students);
- 53% of the literature: Assessments of Wikipedia’s quality;
- 18% of the literature: Wikipedia’s utility for education, and;
- 18% of the literature: Wikipedia’s utility for research.
The complete full-text of the results of this review will be added to this page once it has been accepted for publication in an open access journal.
This list includes all articles cited in the scoping review in the order they appear in the full-text article:
- wikiprojectmed. Our Mission [Internet]. Wiki Project Med Foundation. 2013 [cited 2019 Sep 19]. Available from: https://wikiprojectmed.wordpress.com/2013/05/16/our-mission/
- Wiki Project Med - Meta [Internet]. [cited 2019 Sep 25]. Available from: https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wiki_Project_Med
- Heilman JM, West AG. Wikipedia and Medicine: Quantifying Readership, Editors, and the Significance of Natural Language. J Med Internet Res. 2015;17(3):e62.
- Hodson R. Wikipedians reach out to academics. Nat News [Internet]. [cited 2019 Jul 29]; Available from: http://www.nature.com/news/wikipedians-reach-out-to-academics-1.18313
- Giles J. Internet encyclopaedias go head to head [Internet]. Nature. 2005 [cited 2019 Jul 29]. Available from: https://www.nature.com/articles/438900a
- Faric N, Potts HWW. Motivations for contributing to health-related articles on Wikipedia: an interview study. J Med Internet Res. 2014;16(12):e260.
- Alexa - Wikipedia Competitive Analysis, Marketing Mix and Traffic [Internet]. [cited 2019 Jul 29]. Available from: https://www.alexa.com/siteinfo/wikipedia.org
- Wikimedia Statistics - English Wikipedia - Unique devices [Internet]. [cited 2019 Jul 29]. Available from: https://stats.wikimedia.org/v2/#/en.wikipedia.org/reading/unique-devices/normal|line|1-year|~total|monthly
- Calabrese C, Anderton BN, Barnett GA. Online Representations of “Genome Editing” Uncover Opportunities for Encouraging Engagement: A Semantic Network Analysis. Sci Commun. 2019 Apr;41(2):222–42.
- Okoli, C, Mehdi M, Mesgari, M, Nielson, FA, Lanamäki, A. Wikipedia in the eyes of its beholders: A systematic review of scholarly research on Wikipedia readers and readership. J Assoc Inf Sci Technol. 2014 Dec;(12):2381.
- Mesgari M, Okoli C, Mehdi M, Nielsen FÅ, Lanamäki A. “The sum of all human knowledge”: A systematic review of scholarly research on the content of Wikipedia. J Assoc Inf Sci Technol. 2015 Feb;66(2):219–45.
- Piwowar H, Priem J, Larivière V, Alperin JP, Matthias L, Norlander B, et al. The state of OA: a large-scale analysis of the prevalence and impact of Open Access articles. PeerJ [Internet]. 2018 Feb 13 [cited 2019 Jul 5];6. Available from: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5815332/
- Heilman JM, Kemmann E, Bonert M, Chatterjee A, Ragar B, Beards GM, et al. Wikipedia: a key tool for global public health promotion. J Med Internet Res. 2011;13(1):e14.
- Shafee T, Masukume G, Kipersztok L, Das D, Haggstrom M, Heilman J. Evolution of Wikipedia’s medical content: past, present and future. J Epidemiol Community Health. 2017;71(11):1122–9.
- James R. WikiProject Medicine: Creating Credibility in Consumer Health. J Hosp Librariansh. 2016 Oct;16(4):344–51.
- Law MR, Mintzes B, Morgan SG. The Sources and Popularity of Online Drug Information: An Analysis of Top Search Engine Results and Web Page Views. Ann Pharmacother. 2011 Mar;45(3):350–6.
- Laurent MR, Vickers TJ. Seeking Health Information Online: Does Wikipedia Matter? J Am Med Inform Assoc. 2009 Aug;16(4):471–9.
- Czarnecka-Kujawa K, Abdalian R, Grover SC. The quality of open access and open source internet material in gastroenterology: Is wikipedia appropriate for knowledge transfer to patients? GASTROENTEROLOGY. 2008 Apr;134(4, 1):A325–6.
- Thomas GR, Eng L, de Wolff JF, Grover SC. An Evaluation of Wikipedia as a Resource for Patient Education in Nephrology. Semin Dial. 2013 Apr;26(2):159–63.
- Qureishi A, Sharma A. Can Wikipedia replace traditional patient information leaflets? Comparing the internet to official patient information resources in thyroid cancer. Eur Surg - Acta Chir Austriaca. 2012;44(SUPPL. 247):35.
- Leithner A, Maurer-Ertl W, Glehr M, Friesenbichler J, Leithner K, Windhager R. Wikipedia and osteosarcoma: a trustworthy patients’ information? J Am Med Inform Assoc. 2010 Jul;17(4):373–4.
- Rajagopalan MS, Khanna VK, Leiter Y, Stott M, Showalter TN, Dicker AP, et al. Patient-oriented cancer information on the internet: a comparison of wikipedia and a professionally maintained database. J Oncol Pract. 2011;7(5):319–23.
- Skancke KH, Svendsen K. Wikipedia and medicines: who edits medicine articles on the English Wikipedia? Int J Clin Pharm. 2017 Feb;39(1):254.
- Holtz P, Fetahu B, Kimmerle J. Effects of Contributor Experience on the Quality of Health-Related Wikipedia Articles. J Med Internet Res. 2018 May;20(5):e171.
- Cozza V, Petrocchi M, Spognardi A. A Matter of Words: NLP for Quality Evaluation of Wikipedia Medical Articles. In: Bozzon, A and CudreMauroux, P and Pautasso, C, editor. WEB ENGINEERING (ICWE 2016). 2016. p. 448–56. (Lecture Notes in Computer Science; vol. 9671).
- Watad A, Bragazzi NL, Brigo F, Sharif K, Amital H, McGonagle D, et al. Readability of Wikipedia Pages on Autoimmune Disorders: Systematic Quantitative Assessment. J Med Internet Res. 2017 Jul;19(7):e260.
- Clauson KA, Polen HH, Boulos MNK, Dzenowagis JH. Scope, completeness, and accuracy of drug information in Wikipedia. Ann Pharmacother. 2008;42(12):1814–21.
- Hunter JA, Lee T, Persaud N. A comparison of the content and primary literature support for online medication information provided by Lexicomp and Wikipedia. J Med Libr Assoc. 2018 Jul;106(3):352–60.
- Koppen L, Phillips J, Papageorgiou R. Analysis of reference sources used in drug-related Wikipedia articles. J Med Libr Assoc. 2015 Jul;103(3):140–4.
- Lavsa SM, Corman SL, Culley CM, Pummer T.L. Reliability of Wikipedia as a medication information source for pharmacy students. Curr Pharm Teach Learn. 2011;3(2):154–8.
- Phillips J, Lam C, Palmisano L. Analysis of the accuracy and readability of herbal supplement information on Wikipedia. J Am Pharm Assoc. 2014 Aug;(4):406.
- Reilly T, Jackson W, Berger V, Candelario D. Accuracy and completeness of drug information in Wikipedia medication monographs. J Am Pharm Assoc. 2017 Apr;57(2):inform.
- Kim JY, Gudewicz TM, Dighe AS, Gilbertson JR. The pathology informatics curriculum wiki: Harnessing the power of user-generated content. J Pathol Inform. 2010;1(101528849).
- Devgan L, Powe N, Blakey B, Makary M. Wiki-Surgery? Internal validity of Wikipedia as a medical and surgical reference. J Am Coll Surg. 2007 Sep;205(3, S):S76+.
- Modiri O, Guha D, Alotaibi NM, Ibrahim GM, Lipsman N, Fallah A. Readability and quality of wikipedia pages on neurosurgical topics. Clin Neurol Neurosurg. 2018;166(df4, 7502039):66–70.
- Ayes KB, Bardsley CH. Wikipedia Information for Toxicologic Emergencies: How Reliable Is It? Clin Toxicol. 2010 Jul;48(6):635.
- Ayes KB, Bardsley CH, Jantz JM, Frederick W.A. Wikipedia information for toxicologic emergencies involving household products, plants and envenomations: How reliable is it? Clin Toxicol. 2011;49(6):609.
- Messner M, DiStaso MW, Yan Jin, Meganck S, Sherman S, Norton S. Influencing public opinion from corn syrup to obesity: A longitudinal analysis of the references for nutritional entries on Wikipedia. First Monday. 2014 Nov;19(11):4–4.
- Sanz-Valero J, Cabrera-Hernandez L, Wanden-Berghe C, Culebras-Fernandez, JM. The popularization of food and nutritional sciences: Wikipedia versus a general encyclopedia. Clin Nutr. 2013;32(SUPPL. 1):S192.
- Sanz-Valero J, Wanden-Berghe C, Guardiola-Wanden-Berghe R. Nutrition and metabolism in wikipedia: Presence and adequacy of English and Spanish terminology. Clin Nutr Suppl. 2012;7(1):198–9.
- Koo M. Complementary and Alternative Medicine on Wikipedia: Opportunities for Improvement. Evid Based Complement Alternat Med. 2014;105186.
- Biggs TC, Jayakody N, Best K, King EV. Quality of online otolaryngology health information. J Laryngol Otol. 2018 Jun;132(6):560–3.
- Simpson A, Le M, Malicka AN. The Accuracy and Readability of Wikipedia Articles on Hearing Loss. J Consum Health Internet. 2018 Oct;22(4):323–36.
- Reavley NJ, Mackinnon AJ, Morgan AJ, Alvarez-Jimenez M, Hetrick SE, Killackey E, et al. Quality of information sources about mental disorders: a comparison of Wikipedia with centrally controlled web and printed sources. Psychol Med. 2012 Aug;42(8):1753–62.
- Stankus T, Spiegel SE. Wikipedia, Scholarpedia, and References to Journals in the Brain and Behavioral Sciences: A Comparison of Cited Sources and Recommended Readings in Matching Free Online Encyclopedia Entries. Sci Technol Libr. 2010 Jul;29(3):258–65.
- Martin-Carreras T, Kahn CEJ. Integrating Wikipedia Articles and Images into an Information Resource for Radiology Patients. J Digit Imaging. 2019;32(3):349–53.
- Vydiswaran VG, Mei Q, Hanauer DA, Zheng K. Mining consumer health vocabulary from community-generated text. AMIA Annu Symp Proc AMIA Symp AMIA Symp. 2014;2014((Vydiswaran) School of Information, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI):1150–9.
- Herbert VG, Frings A, Rehatschek H, Richard G, Leithner A. Wikipedia--challenges and new horizons in enhancing medical education. BMC Med Educ. 2015;15(101088679):32.
- Murray H, Walker M, Maggio L, Dawson J. Wikipedia medical page editing as a platform to teach evidence-based medicine. BMJ Evid-Based Med. 2018;23(Supplement 1):A12–3.
- Azzam A, Bresler D, Leon A, Maggio L, Whitaker E., Heilman J., et al. Why Medical Schools Should Embrace Wikipedia: Final-Year Medical Student Contributions to Wikipedia Articles for Academic Credit at One School. Acad Med J Assoc Am Med Coll. 2017;92(2):194–200.
- Judd T, Kennedy G. Expediency-Based Practice? Medical Students’ Reliance on Google and Wikipedia for Biomedical Inquiries. Br J Educ Technol. 2011 Mar;42(2):351–60.
- Lieberthal RD, Leon J. Engaging Health Professionals in Health Economics: A Human Capital Informed Approach for Adults Learning Online. J Econ Educ. 2015 Jan 2;46(1):45–55.
- Schweitzer NJ. Wikipedia and psychology: Coverage of concepts and its use by undergraduate students. Teach Psychol. 2008 Jun;35(2):81–5.
- Azer SA. Evaluation of gastroenterology and hepatology articles on Wikipedia: Are they suitable as learning resources for medical students? Eur J Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2014 Feb;26(2):155–63.
- Azer SA, AlSwaidan NM, Alshwairikh LA, AlShammari JM. Accuracy and readability of cardiovascular entries on Wikipedia: are they reliable learning resources for medical students? Bmj Open. 2015;5(10):e008187.
- Antivalle M, Battellino M, Ditto MC, Varisco V, Chevallard M, Rigamonti F, et al. Evaluation of wikipedia rheumatology articles as a learning resource for medical students. Ann Rheum Dis [Internet]. 2014;73(SUPPL. 2). Available from: http://heart.bmj.com/content/73/Suppl_2/801.3.abstract?sid=32ccb1a9-8868-4a08-a8c8-f62abf78e7c3
- Haigh CA. Wikipedia as an evidence source for nursing and healthcare students. Nurse Educ Today. 2011 Feb;31(2):135–9.
- Yacob M., Jetty P, Lotfi S. The wikipedia medical student: Comparing the quality of vascular surgery topics across two commonly used educational resources. Int J Surg. 2014;12(SUPPL. 3):S73.
- Azer SA. Is Wikipedia a Reliable Learning Resource for Medical Students? Evaluating Respiratory Topics. Adv Physiol Educ. 2015 Mar;39(1):5–14.
- Park E, Masupe T, Joseph J, Ho-Foster A, Chavez A, Jammalamadugu S, et al. Information needs of Botswana health care workers and perceptions of wikipedia. Int J Med Inf. 2016;95((Park) School of Medicine, Boston University, Boston, MA, United States):8–16.
- Morata T, Lum M. Partnerships to expand occupational safety and health content in wikipedia. Occup Environ Med. 2018;75(Supplement 2):A71–2.
- Nowrouzi B, Gohar B, Nowrouzi-Kia B, Garbaczewska M, Brewster K. An examination of scope, completeness, credibility, and readability of health, medical, and nutritional information on the internet: A comparative study of Wikipedia, WebMD, and the Mayo Clinic websites. Can J Diabetes. 2015;39(SUPPL. 1):S71.
- Hillard J.R, Laird-Fick H.S, Chennamaneni V, Kavuturu S, Nassiri RM. Helicobacter and wikipedia. Helicobacter. 2015;20(Supplement 1):115.
- Altmann U. Representation of medical informatics in the wikipedia and its perspectives. Stud Health Technol Inform. 2005;116(ck1, 9214582):755–60.
- Hasty RT, Garbalosa RC, Barbato VA, Valdes PJJ, Powers DW, Hernandez E, et al. Wikipedia vs peer-reviewed medical literature for information about the 10 most costly medical conditions. J Am Osteopath Assoc. 2014;114(5):368–73.
- Temple NJ, Fraser J. How Accurate Are Wikipedia Articles in Health, Nutrition, and Medicine? Can J Inf Libr Sci-Rev Can Sci Inf Bibl. 2014 Mar;38(1):37–52.
- Pfundner A, Schönberg T, Horn J, Boyce RD, Samwald M. Utilizing the Wikidata System to Improve the Quality of Medical Content in Wikipedia in Diverse Languages: A Pilot Study. J Med Internet Res. 2015;17(5):e110.
- Weiner SS, Horbacewicz J., Rasberry L., Bensinger-Brody Y. Improving the Quality of Consumer Health Information on Wikipedia: Case Series. J Med Internet Res. 2019;21(3):e12450.
- Zhang Y, Lin Y.-H. Writing a Wikipedia Article on Cultural Competence in Health Care. Med Ref Serv Q. 2016;35(2):175–86.
- Apollonio DE, Broyde K, Azzam A, De Guia M, Heilman J., Brock T. Pharmacy students can improve access to quality medicines information by editing Wikipedia articles. BMC Med Educ. 2018;18(1):265.
- Burdo JR. Wikipedia neuroscience stub editing in an introductory undergraduate neuroscience course. J Undergrad Neurosci Educ JUNE Publ FUN Fac Undergrad Neurosci. 2012;11(1):A1-5.
- Infeld DL, Adams WC. Using the Internet for Gerontology Education: Assessing and Improving Wikipedia. Educ Gerontol. 2013 Oct;39(10):707–16.
- Shane-Simpson C, Che E, Brooks PJ. Giving Psychology Away: Implementation of Wikipedia Editing in an Introductory Human Development Course. Psychol Learn Teach-PLAT. 2016 Nov;15(3, SI):268–93.
- Walker M, Murray H, Dawson J, Maggio L. Wikipedia culture and usage: A survey of first year medical students to determine barriers and facilitators. BMJ Evid-Based Med. 2018;23(Supplement 1):A25.
- Huss JW 3rd, Lindenbaum P, Martone M, Roberts D, Pizarro A, Valafar F, et al. The Gene Wiki: community intelligence applied to human gene annotation. Nucleic Acids Res. 2010;38(Database issue):D633-9.
- Good BM, Clarke EL, Loguercio S, Su AI. Building a biomedical semantic network in Wikipedia with Semantic Wiki Links. Database J Biol Databases Curation. 2012;2012((Good) The Scripps Research Institute, La Jolla, CA 92037, USA.).
- Good BM, Howe DG, Lin SM, Kibbe WA, Su AI. Mining the Gene Wiki for functional genomic knowledge. BMC Genomics. 2011;12(100965258):603.
- Rossler B, Holldack H, Schebesta K. Influence of wikipedia and other web resources on acute and critical care decisions. A web-based survey. Intensive Care Med Exp. 2015;3(Supplement 1):A867.
- Scaffidi, M, Khan, R, Wang, C, Keren, D, Tsui, C, Garg, A, et al. Comparison of the Impact of Wikipedia, UpToDate, and a Digital Textbook on Short-Term Knowledge Acquisition Among Medical Students: Randomized Controlled Trial of Three Web-Based Resources. JMIR Med Educ. 2017;(2):e20.
- Evans P, Krauthammer M. Exploring the use of social media to measure journal article impact. AMIA Annu Symp Proc AMIA Symp. 2011;2011(101209213):374–81.
- Jemielniak D, Masukume G, Wilamowski M. The Most Influential Medical Journals According to Wikipedia: Quantitative Analysis. J Med Internet Res. 2019;21(1):e11429.
- Kissner M, Troia L, Bexfield A, Mahbuba R, Coover R. Evaluating the relationship between publications and Wikipedia citations for a cohort of oral anticoagulants. Curr Med Res Opin. 2019 Apr 11;35(2, SI):15.
- Maggio LA, Willinsky JM, Steinberg RM, Mietchen D, Wass JL, Dong T. Wikipedia as a gateway to biomedical research: The relative distribution and use of citations in the English Wikipedia. PloS One. 2017;12(12):e0190046.
- Brigo F, Erro R. Why do people google movement disorders? An infodemiological study of information seeking behaviors. Neurol Sci. 2016 May;37(5):781–7.
- Brigo F, Igwe S.C, Otte W.M, Tezzon F, Lochner P. Information seeking behavior for neurological disorders: An infodemiological study of wikipedia article traffic. Beghi E., Filippini G., editors. Neuroepidemiology. 2014;43(3–4):158.
- Brigo F, Igwe SC, Nardone R, Lochner P, Tezzon F, Otte WM. Wikipedia and neurological disorders. J Clin Neurosci. 2015 Jul;22(7):1170–2.
- Kint M., Batty P., Peters M., Hart D. Wikipedia dominance in simulated online searching for hemophiliaspecific patient information. Haemophilia. 2014;20(SUPPL. 3):178.
- Generous N, Fairchild G, Deshpande A, Del Valle SY, Priedhorsky R. Global Disease Monitoring and Forecasting with Wikipedia. Plos Comput Biol. 2014 Nov;10(11):e1003892.
- Dzogang F, Lansdall-Welfare T, Cristianini N. Seasonal Fluctuations in Collective Mood Revealed by Wikipedia Searches and Twitter Posts. In: Domeniconi C, Gullo F, Bonchi F, DomingoFerrer J, BaezaYates R, Zhou ZH, et al., editors. 2016 Ieee 16th International Conference on Data Mining Workshops (icdmw). 2016. p. 931–7.
- McIver DJ, Brownstein JS. Wikipedia Usage Estimates Prevalence of Influenza-Like Illness in the United States in Near Real-Time. Plos Comput Biol. 2014 Apr;10(4):e1003581.
- Tausczik Y, Faasse K, Pennebaker JW, Petrie KJ. Public anxiety and information seeking following the H1N1 outbreak: blogs, newspaper articles, and Wikipedia visits. Health Commun. 2012;27(2):179–85.
- Zimmer C, Leuba SI, Yaesoubi R, Cohen T. Use of daily Internet search query data improves real-time projections of influenza epidemics. J R Soc Interface. 2018;15(147):20180220.
- Priedhorsky R, Osthus D, Daughton AR, Moran KR, Generous N, Fairchild G, et al. Measuring Global Disease with Wikipedia: Success, Failure, and a Research Agenda. CSCW Proc Conf Comput-Support Coop Work Conf Comput-Support Coop Work. 2017;2017(101604142):1812–34.
- Sharpe JD, Hopkins RS, Cook RL, Striley CW. Evaluating Google, Twitter, and Wikipedia as Tools for Influenza Surveillance Using Bayesian Change Point Analysis: A Comparative Analysis. JMIR Public Health Surveill. 2016;2(2):e161.
- Qiu R, Hadzikadic M, Yu S, Yao L. Estimating disease burden using Internet data. Health Informatics J. 2018;(100883604):1460458218810743.