Research:Modeling monthly active editors
This page in a nutshell:This page contains background analysis for the definition of editor activity metrics in support of the Vital Signs project
Editor Classes Edit
- Monthly Active Editors (MAE)
- Editors who save at least 5 revisions within one month.
- New Active Editors (NAE)
- Newly registered users who save at least 5 revisions in the month that they registered.
- Surviving New Active Editors (SNAE)
- New Active Editors from the previous month who continued to make at least 5 edits in the current month.
- Recurring Old Active Editors (ROAE)
- Non-new Active Editors from the previous month who continued to make at least 5 edits in the current month.
- Reactivated Editors (RAE)
- All other active editors who (1) were not active in the previous month and (2) were not a Newly registered user in the current month.
- Basic equation
- New Editor Activation Rate (NEAR)
- The proportion of Newly registered users who save at least 5 revisions in the current month
- New Active Survival Rate (NASR)
- The proportion of New Active Editors the previous month who save at least 5 revisions in the current month
- Old Active Survival Rate (OASR)
- The proportion of Active Editors from the previous month (who were not Newly registered users) who save at least 5 revisions in the current month
- Expanded equation with rates
English Wikipedia Edit
Italian Wikipedia Edit
Comparison with legacy definition Edit
In order to explore the implications of the relatively simplistic definition of active editor used in this model (5 revisions to any page), we compare counts of active editors with those generated by the historical definition (5 revisions to countable pages).
- dump ns=0 -- Legacy definition based on XML dump processing within wikistats. Does not include edits to deleted pages and also filters by countable pages
- archive ns=0 -- All edits to pages in the article namespace (ns=0) count.
- archive ns=all -- All edits to any page count. This is the definition used in the analysis above.
- Raw counts
- Factor comparison
See also Edit
- Project repo: https://github.com/halfak/Monthly-Active-Editors-Model