Research:Mobile Strategy Research/Brazil
We partnered with IBOPE Inteligencia on this work. We also engaged in a collaborative relationship with NIC.br and CETIC.br part of CGI.br. We would like to particularly Alexandre Barbarossa, PhD PMP and Tatiana Jereissati for their help in our work. You can also follow NIC.br on twitter here.
The Research was conducted in three cities in Brazil: Sao Paulo, Salvador and Porto Alegre to account for geographic, cultural and technological diversity in Brazil.
The Research ensured multiple touch-points with the participants – Readers (current mobile readers and potentials) and Editors.
- An online questionnaire was sent to several mailing lists to identify Wikipedia readers and editors.
- Respondents who were selected from the questionnaire participated in digital diaries where they provided their input to specific assignments.
- Detailed face-to-face interviews with participants and cognitive walk-throughs.
Executive Summary of Findings in Brazil edit
In terms of stage of adhesion to Wikipedia on the mobile, the user experience research points out two groups of people: those who are still resistant and those who are already adapted and familiar with reading Wikipedia on their mobile.
- They use it when it’s really necessary.
- They emphasize - in terms of barriers - the difficult and slow access
Quotes from users:
I prefer to read on the desktop, but I cannot carry such a screen in my pocket. It’s impossible that someone likes reading very small letters, you can even change the option, the size, but it takes longer. (São Paulo, reader, pc, male, 28)
- They appreciate the immediate and constant access allowed by the mobile
- The habit of clarifying doubts in real time shapes this new generation of users who own popular devices – Android run smartphones and iPhone
For them, finding information in Wikipedia and reading it on the mobile is easier and faster
Quotes from Users:
Now, I am used to accessing wiki on the Smartphone. The great thing about it is that the menu is built up with mini icons, and you only need to expand what you want. (Porto Alegre, reader, smart, female, 27)
When I need to use the wikipedia I do it mostly on the mobile, e.g. when I am at college and I have a doubt concerning a disease... Then I take a look at my mobile, I open the Wikipedia page and search for the disease. (Salvador, reader, smart, male, 18)
When I am thinking about something, it can be out of the work hours, e.g. when I am at home sitting on the sofa and I see something on TV and I want to know more about it... Since I already know that Google will always find something, I do it on the mobile. This time, the complete version is displayed, but normally it runs on a mobile version.'' (São Paulo, reader, pc, male, 28)
It will always be better on the computer, everyone agrees, but there is a need to check information in mobile situations: driving in rush hours, in the public transport, in class, in work meetings, in lectures, etc. The mobile is more convenient, it’s easier because it’s handy at any time and I’m not always at the computer. (Salvador, reader, smart, female, 29)
Interview Guide edit
English Moderator Script:
Portuguese Moderator Script: