Requests for new languages/Wikipedia Papiamentu
|←main page||Requests for new languages (Wikipedia Papiamentu)|
|Please read the handbook for requesters for help using this template correctly.|
- Relevant infos:
- App. number of speakers: 320.000
- Location(s) spoken: Aruba (Papiamentu is an offical language of Aruba), Curacao(Official language Papiamentu), Bonaire(Official language Papiamentu) St. Maarten(Papiamenty spoken by some) en the Netherlands(spoken by the people of the netherlands antilles)
- Closely related languages, if any: Portuguese, Dutch, English, Spanish
- External links to organizations that promote the language:
General discussion (first request)Edit
- Dutch Wikimedia intitiative http://nl.wikimedia.org/
- Creole language native to the black population of the Dutch Layward Islands, based on Spanish and Portuguese, with a heavy influence of Dutch.
- Just 100,000 speakers? There seem to live 150,000 people on Curaçao, 100,000 on Aruba and 10,000 on Bonaire. With 80% of those speaking Papiamentu and some 150,000 more in the Netherlands, you get as many as 350,000 speakers. Caesarion 09:08, 1 Apr 2005 (UTC)
- According to http://www.worldlanguage.com/Languages/Papiamento.htm there are about 200,000 and this is probably a very cautious estimate. Considering folks who've emigrated from the islands and can speak it the number is probably around 300,000+ I would think. Jay Bowks
- I used to know someone who spoke papiamento even :-) Sounds like a good plan. en:User:Kim Bruning
- I've heard Papiamento in actual use, I found it understandable, and when reading a text in Papiamento I found I have very little difficulty with it and only a word or two escape me. I support the establishment of a Papiamento wiki. ILVI 13:49, 14 July 2005 (UTC)
- Can someone explain to me what the link to request mailing list thing is. And also what must I write in the test page?--Ghettocash 14:33, 4 March 2006 (UTC)
- Support Arbeo 10:08, 21 August 2005 (UTC)
- Support DanielM 07:04, 25 August 2005 (UTC)
- Support kamizu (native speaker) 03:07, 4 March 2006 (UTC)
- Support Slam 10:15, 4 March 2006. Native Speaker.
- Support Ghettocash (native speaker) 14:33, 4 March 2006 (UTC)
- Support DaveMagnus (native speaker) 12:03, 4 March 2006 (UTC)
- Support Ñaña (native speaker) 13:23, 4 March 2006
- Support Doerwino (native speaker) 19:23, 4 March 2006
- Support Joao Xavier 08:46, 8 March 2006 (UTC)
General discussion (second request)Edit
I have already spoken with a lot of proffesionals in the field of the Papiamentu language.
- Support GhettoCash (native speaker) 11:36pm, Thursday March 2th 2006
- This request was done before. However, now a native Antilliaan seems to be involved, so I support this request (and would be willing to learn Papiemento myself) Caesarion 09:00, 3 March 2006 (UTC)
- Support Phyx (native speaker) I also support the adding of the language. (21:49, Friday March 3rd 2006)
- Support Waerth 21:29, 3 March 2006 (UTC) - I support this one!
- Support Bodok (native speaker)
- Support Darren (native speaker)
- Support Chearitee (native speaker)
- Support Slam (native speaker) 7:00pm, Friday March 3th 2006. Papiamentu is not a dialect, it is a languange on it's own. So I support this request.
- Support kamizu (native speaker) 4:00am, Saturday March 4th 2006. I would like to see my native language get more exposure and recognition and I believe this is one way to do so.
- ATTENTION: No need create more this votation; exist an approvation for create the Papiamentu Wikipedia but need native speakers; please read more Requests_for_new_languages/Native_speaker_support#Papiamentu_.288.29; and this votation finalized. --Taichi - (あ！) 01:57, 4 March 2006 (UTC)